This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokesav vs. Natural Training

#21madman2099Posted 11/27/2012 7:00:32 AM
Dudechapguyman posted...
Pokesav obviously. It's the only way to ensure a fair battle dependent on skill rather than who got luckier breeding.

It's not about luck. It's about perseverance.

I like to breed and train the original way. Like others have said, it's more rewarding.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 2323-4040-8001
#22PkmTrainerAbramPosted 11/27/2012 7:02:53 AM
wind64a posted...
I train mine up with Vitamins and EV training, followed by a full course of level grinding. It gives them a sasisfying taste, with a hint of mint. Plus the friendship adds a mild sweetness to the battle regardless of the outcome.

I don't really know the prevalence of Pokesaved Pokemon in wifi to be honest. Did I do a decent job of making Cilan style cooking puns?

Lol, It's COOKING TIME.

I train Pokemon the old fashioned way and back them up with AR/etc. Don't really care if they have a 21-30 IV in anything else but speed since it's the only IV that really counts.
I play to train to get all the acheivements in Pokemon games now, nothing more. That includes a living Dex with hopefully fully usable members.
---
Currently playing: Capcom VS SNK 2(Gamecube), Pokemon Platinum/Heartgold(JPN)
#23banjo kazooiePosted 11/27/2012 7:22:44 AM
Odds of perfect IVs: 1/1,073,741,824 (1/(2^30)). With two power items passing down perfect IVs? 1/1,048,576 (1/(2^20)). I can't be bothered digging up my old post or recalculating what the odds are with two perfect parents, because they're far less clean, but... Maximising your odds of perfect IVs still leave them ridiculously lower than the odds of finding a shiny. I'm sorry, but I have better things to do than breed for the hours on end required to get perfect IVs.
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#24wutzgoodPosted 11/27/2012 7:34:03 AM
Lol at people thinking they need flawless ivs to win. 3-4 perfect stats is all you need and it's easy to get them.
---
I'm calling you an elitist, but I'm just gonna go ahead and leave a snooty remark as I go. I am wutz good
SS FC: 4598 9525 2106 Black 0991 3491 6739
#25PkmTrainerAbramPosted 11/27/2012 7:48:51 AM
banjo kazooie posted...
Odds of perfect IVs: 1/1,073,741,824 (1/(2^30)). With two power items passing down perfect IVs? 1/1,048,576 (1/(2^20)). I can't be bothered digging up my old post or recalculating what the odds are with two perfect parents, because they're far less clean, but... Maximising your odds of perfect IVs still leave them ridiculously lower than the odds of finding a shiny. I'm sorry, but I have better things to do than breed for the hours on end required to get perfect IVs.

It's a good thing you only need a parent with a 31 in Speed and the Power Anklet, otherwise that would suck then.

You can't honestly tell me you'd breed an Alakazam with a 31 in Attack/Defense/HP when you could settle for a 28 Sp Attack/31 Speed one and it woul be just as effective.
---
Currently playing: Capcom VS SNK 2(Gamecube), Pokemon Platinum/Heartgold(JPN)
#26banjo kazooiePosted 11/27/2012 8:00:59 AM(edited)
Pkmn Tranier Abram posted...
banjo kazooie posted...

It's a good thing you only need a parent with a 31 in Speed and the Power Anklet, otherwise that would suck then.

You can't honestly tell me you'd breed an Alakazam with a 31 in Attack/Defense/HP when you could settle for a 28 Sp Attack/31 Speed one and it woul be just as effective.

I wouldn't settle for 28 Special Attack, but otherwise, I agree. I will say this: Passing down two IVs and hoping for the right nature has better odds than passing down a nature and an IV and hoping for a perfect IV in the stat you would otherwise have passed down. 1/25 versus 1/32 (1/(2^5)). It also takes less time to check, and comes with absolute certainty when you check, as opposed to the vague estimates you'd get without significant effort.
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#27sandslash1Posted 11/27/2012 8:00:53 AM
training for ingame/story, pokesav for frontier/tower/etc
---
a
#28Skull_proPosted 11/27/2012 8:30:33 AM
wind64a posted...
I train mine up with Vitamins and EV training, followed by a full course of level grinding. It gives them a sasisfying taste, with a hint of mint. Plus the friendship adds a mild sweetness to the battle regardless of the outcome.

I don't really know the prevalence of Pokesaved Pokemon in wifi to be honest. Did I do a decent job of making Cilan style cooking puns?

This. This is how I'm training my Escavalier.

Also, I dislike fighting people with ''illegal'' moveset (Like People having Hydreigons having Both Dark Pulse and Earth power before BW2)
---
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff266/NeoArashi/wtf.jpg Look! I can make a post AFTER the last post!!!!!
#29Missingno_MastrPosted 11/27/2012 8:31:37 AM
I breed and raise them myself. It's very satisfying to win with Pokemon you've raised yourself. I have a Timid Sheer Force Nidoking with flawless Special Attack and Speed IVs, perfectly EV trained, level 100, with the moves Earth Power, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower. He kicks major ass in battle, and whenever I use him, whenever I win with him, I'm able to look at that Nidoking and know that it's not just my effective usage of him that contributed to my victory, but it's also the hard work and dedication I put into training him. I'm telling you, it's such a good feeling. It's part of what makes battles fun for me (incidentally, it's partly why I prefer to battle with the real thing as opposed to simulators). I actually have a lot of other EV trained Pokemon that I raised myself that I am more than proud to say the same thing about, Nidoking was just the first example that came to me because I'm starting to use him so often.
---
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/groups/weezing-alliance/pictures/59420-1.PNG
#30pokemonfreak97Posted 11/27/2012 8:58:57 AM
I'm not competitive myself, but here's my opinion

If you need 1 IV and a nature:

Don't waste your time hacking! Get a Ditto with a 31 Speed IV and a parent Pokémon with the Nature, then use the Power (whatever the right one is) and Everstone! This seems pointless to hack.

2 IVs and a nature:

Do the 1 IV procedure with a better Ditto (or a better parent, preferably, who has the necessary other IV).

3 IVs and a nature:

What kind of mixed sweeper/wall are you running? If you REALLY need this, I suggest hacking a flawless Ditto with the nature you want and giving the parent the Power Item for the desired IV it has... and pray.

Any more:

YOU DON'T REALLY NEED THAT! Honestly!
Hacking a Pokémon should only be to make the breeding easier; never actually use the Pokémon you hacked.
---
I hack life.
Got a Wii U launch night!