This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

could next pokemon main game be in full 3D?

#21PictocheatPosted 11/29/2012 5:54:42 AM
Although sprites are what make Pokemon games stand out, I don't think GameFreak can do much more with them. They might be able to surprise me, but they'd have to fix a couple of things first; the blocky appearance of Pokemon when the camera zooms out in battle, and making characters be able to face more than four directions (for cutscenes where the camera's rotating around your character; the slide in Brycen's gym comes to mind).

They should also put in sprites for characters facing a certain direction even if there's no possible way to get them in that position normally. For instance, I've heard that if you glitch behind the wall in the PWT lobby somehow and talk to the champions, their sprites will turn into question marks because sprites weren't put in for them facing that direction. It kind of makes the developers seem lazy.

A Pokemon game with models like the ones in Pokedex 3D Pro would be great in my opinion! The depth perception of the 3D function would work better with models than sprites, and the overworld effects that could best utilize the the 3D (like the leaves blowing in the wind at the start of the game) are already in 3D. It'd also probably be less work than drawing out every individual sprite (and you gotta admit, Hitmonchan's Pokedex 3D animation is pretty damn sexy).

tldr: I think technology is advancing to the point where sprites are becoming obsolete, and 3D models would make better use of the Nintendo 3DS's 3D function than sprites would.
---
U say U want a Revolution
Well, U know Wii all want to change the world
#22NightsOwlPosted 11/29/2012 5:58:08 AM
Benzychenz posted...
I'm expecting it to be full 3D.

---
Not changing my signature until Breath of Fire VI or EBA2/Ouendan3 is announced.
People with Waifus need Laifus.
#23TaticalWarriorPosted 11/29/2012 6:03:47 AM
Pictocheat posted...
Although sprites are what make Pokemon games stand out, I don't think GameFreak can do much more with them. They might be able to surprise me, but they'd have to fix a couple of things first; the blocky appearance of Pokemon when the camera zooms out in battle, and making characters be able to face more than four directions (for cutscenes where the camera's rotating around your character; the slide in Brycen's gym comes to mind).

They should also put in sprites for characters facing a certain direction even if there's no possible way to get them in that position normally. For instance, I've heard that if you glitch behind the wall in the PWT lobby somehow and talk to the champions, their sprites will turn into question marks because sprites weren't put in for them facing that direction. It kind of makes the developers seem lazy.

A Pokemon game with models like the ones in Pokedex 3D Pro would be great in my opinion! The depth perception of the 3D function would work better with models than sprites, and the overworld effects that could best utilize the the 3D (like the leaves blowing in the wind at the start of the game) are already in 3D. It'd also probably be less work than drawing out every individual sprite (and you gotta admit, Hitmonchan's Pokedex 3D animation is pretty damn sexy).

tldr: I think technology is advancing to the point where sprites are becoming obsolete, and 3D models would make better use of the Nintendo 3DS's 3D function than sprites would.

VanillaWare does incredible 2D. I believe their work is better than most 3D now, and their work will never age. Odin Sphere, for example. You can keep 2D to make things incredible, but you must evolve it, pixel art is limited, but we don't need to have pixel art anymore.
---
Proud designer of Chip, the Runner Up Megaman Legends 3's Mascot Contest!
http://tinyurl.com/3r6wb4u
#24TowerBooks3192Posted 11/29/2012 6:28:27 AM
TaticalWarrior posted...
Pictocheat posted...

VanillaWare does incredible 2D. I believe their work is better than most 3D now, and their work will never age. Odin Sphere, for example. You can keep 2D to make things incredible, but you must evolve it, pixel art is limited, but we don't need to have pixel art anymore.

Something like Disgaea 4's HD sprites perhaps?
---
"Once you go Marcus Munitions, you never go back us munitions"
#25Teh_TiltyuPosted 11/29/2012 6:38:20 AM
a pokemon game with skullgirls' sprite quality would be sexy
---
http://i.imgur.com/aONxd.png http://i.imgur.com/KjeJa.png
#26TaticalWarriorPosted 11/29/2012 11:51:16 AM
TowerBooks3192 posted...
TaticalWarrior posted...
Pictocheat posted...

Something like Disgaea 4's HD sprites perhaps?

I rather VanillaWare. The movent is incredible! :D
They use vectors and such to animate, while Disagea uses frames.
---
Proud designer of Chip, the Runner Up Megaman Legends 3's Mascot Contest!
http://tinyurl.com/3r6wb4u
#27SlimeStackPosted 11/29/2012 11:56:11 AM
Personally I want it to look like the anime. So all characters, Pokémon, items, and the like are 2D, while the background and battle effects are done with CG. We're obviously a bit far off handhelds being able to display that kind of quality, but still.
---
Pokemon Black Version 2:
Sean - 1163 7615 1957
#28ClassyOldHatPosted 11/29/2012 12:28:07 PM
I wouldn't object to 3D Pokemon models, but more than anything, I'd love WELL ANIMATED sprites, stuff like Wario Land: Shake it!, A Boy and his Blob, a half-dozen decent indie games and several games already mentioned by other posters are already doing.
#29Rose_MagePosted 11/29/2012 1:46:09 PM
Maybe.
---
R ~ Team Rocket Executive, Sol Enchantress, Official Beth of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://fav.me/d5g7w6l