This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hope I've got this EV training thing right...

#1KasuminPosted 11/29/2012 10:34:51 PM
So just for kicks I've decided to try out EV training. I'm starting by EV training a Gyarados. I've been hatching Magikarp eggs and I just got one with pretty good IVs (apparently good in Attack and Speed according to the Battle Subway NPC). It's also of Adamant nature.

From what I've read, what I need to do is feed it 10 vitamins that boost its attack (forget the name of the item), and then I slap an Exp. Share on the Magikarp and fight Golurks on Victory Road for 252 EV points...? Is it a problem if Magikarp gains more than one level at a time? Some friends told me that that was a bad thing as far as EVs go.

I was thinking 252 to Attack and then I wasn't sure about where the other 252 (+4) should go. Also, I have some Magnemites with the Pokerus sitting around in my PC box. Pokemon only get double EVs while they have the Pokerus and not after it's gone, right...?

Any help'd be appreciated. Like I said, I'm an EV training newb and I'm just trying it out to see how it works. I've read a bunch about it, but there's still a lot I don't understand.
---
"Data should behave as such!" ~ Luther Lansfeld, Star Ocean 3
#2LightningHawk90Posted 11/29/2012 10:36:39 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64612734
---
Pokemon white FC: 0003 4423 2595
#3OnyxGuardPosted 11/29/2012 10:36:55 PM
I don't bother ev training (mostly cause I don't get it lol) I just go on the trading boards and ask if anyone can help me ev train my pokes :p
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 2194 5566 1096
#4FuneralCakePosted 11/29/2012 10:38:37 PM
It doesn't matter how many levels it gains while EV training. The EVs are applied after every single battle, so level-ups don't matter whatsoever. Even if they weren't applied after every battle, the EVs still take effect whenever stats are recalculated.

Also, 4 EVs only equal one stat point at level 100. Lowe levels require more EVs per stat point. Remember that.

If you want EV spreads on specific Pokemon, check out Smogon.

Pokerus will double all EVs gained from battle (not vitamins or wings), and will always be in effect. The only difference is that when it's no longer contagious, it can't pass Pokerus to other Pokemon. That's it.
---
TOTALLY, TOTALLY NOT HOME ROWED
http://i.minus.com/i3mAN7sODQ20R.gif
#5Kasumin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 10:44:47 PM
RageKaiser posted...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64612734

Read that :V I wouldn't have made this topic if I hadn't read that, geez. Just wanted some clarification so I don't mess up, that's all.
---
#6LightningHawk90Posted 11/29/2012 10:46:13 PM
I wasn't intending to be rude btw, That guide has all the info you need to know.
---
Pokemon white FC: 0003 4423 2595
#7Kasumin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 10:54:28 PM
Hmmmm, okay. I'll give it another look over.
---
#8pokemonfreak97Posted 11/30/2012 9:46:55 AM
Kasumin posted...
So just for kicks I've decided to try out EV training. I'm starting by EV training a Gyarados. I've been hatching Magikarp eggs and I just got one with pretty good IVs (apparently good in Attack and Speed according to the Battle Subway NPC). It's also of Adamant nature.

So, Adamant increases attack and lowers Special Attack. What does the Battle Subway guy actually say about your attack?
Kasumin posted...
From what I've read, what I need to do is feed it 10 vitamins that boost its attack (forget the name of the item), and then I slap an Exp. Share on the Magikarp and fight Golurks on Victory Road for 252 EV points...? Is it a problem if Magikarp gains more than one level at a time? Some friends told me that that was a bad thing as far as EVs go.

Yes, feed it ten Proteins (I think those are the right ones) and then fight 76 Golurks, or you could get down to 38 if you have Pokérus.

Kasumin posted...
I was thinking 252 to Attack and then I wasn't sure about where the other 252 (+4) should go. Also, I have some Magnemites with the Pokerus sitting around in my PC box. Pokemon only get double EVs while they have the Pokerus and not after it's gone, right...?

Once a Pokémon catches Pokérus, the EV effect is permanent; a Pokémon which had Pokérus 5 years ago in Emerald will still get the boost, for all it probably doesn't matter. Also, the traditional thing to do for a sweeper (i.e. a Pokémon designed to fight as opposed to soaking up damage or just poisoning them and letting time do the rest) is to put the other ones into Speed. I believe the normal way to train Speed is 10 Carbos + fighting 38 Basculin in Aspertia City (38 is with Pokérus, 76 otherwise). The 4 could go anywhere; I'm not the best at developing stuff, but I'd put the other 4 in HP.

Kasumin posted...
Any help'd be appreciated. Like I said, I'm an EV training newb and I'm just trying it out to see how it works. I've read a bunch about it, but there's still a lot I don't understand.

Good luck!
---
I hack life.
Got a Wii U launch night!