This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain how truth and ideals are contradictory?

#1HeiedonoPosted 11/30/2012 9:45:28 AM
It seems like they just use these words for grandeur but with no apparent meaning given the context.
They sought ideals or truth? How are these two goals mutually exclusive?
---
"If the worst comes to the worst, you can always try summoning nipples and glue. Probably vulgar though :("
PB FC:1549-9392-8987
#2infinitexxPosted 11/30/2012 9:48:03 AM
It's about ideals faltering in the face of harsh reality.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#3Heiedono(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 9:49:24 AM
But they seem to nearly equate "ideals" to hope, so in the face of harsh realities, wouldn't ideals be complementary?
Oh well, I'm probably just thinking about it weird.
---
"If the worst comes to the worst, you can always try summoning nipples and glue. Probably vulgar though :("
#4Ku-Ri-BohPosted 11/30/2012 9:50:57 AM
That's the point of the plot i think. By definition, they ARE contradictory. But as you've mentioned yourself, they in fact have to coexist
#5GastroidPosted 11/30/2012 9:51:00 AM
They aren't. Drayden explicitly says it, too. It was the meaningless quarreling of the brothers that split the dragon in three. They were to blame, not ideals or hopes alone.
---
Judicoid
Judicator-variant Android
#6Pram_the_OraclePosted 11/30/2012 9:52:00 AM
Well, more like one Hero bends to reality, the other adamantly refuses to change his ideals.

They were being idiots.
---
Aww, I lost to SuperNiceDog, Winner of the Rivalry Rumble Guru Contest
#7Heiedono(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 9:53:12 AM
Ok, I dun diddly got it now.
I just had a moment where I was like "does this even make sense?"
---
#8AmesangPosted 11/30/2012 1:15:18 PM
Personally, I think they should've gone with "destiny" and "reality." Then Kyurem couldn't been the culmination of the two concepts, a truce between them.. "destrucity," if you will.
---
"Help! Help! They've destroyed my cousin's brain!! Oh, my god! They've already milked you, haven't they?!!" -- Phoncible P. Bone
#9Ari917Posted 11/30/2012 1:34:07 PM(edited)
I always thought of it like the science vs. religion debate. Science is what we use to find out the facts of the world and better understand it and because of that we desire to learn more and continue to poke and prod until we learn it. However, like pure science, just going by pure facts without trying to emotionally attach yourself to the world around you is bad since it can lead to people doing terrible things to find out more, essentially as what Changlini said: ignoring what's right for what is neccessary. Hell, there are numerous villains that fill this mold, such as Mr. Tucker (FMA) and Izuka (FE:RD).

Similarly, like religion, ideals are your morals and beliefs, what you strongly stick to because they give you a since of what is morally right and what is morally apprehensible. However, pure ideals are also bad because if you just completely ignore the facts of the world and stick to your beliefs, you're going to lead yourself down a dark path of ignorance, prejudice and destruction. Again, numerous villains fill this mold of following their beliefs and ambitions to the point of turning to evil like the Church in RE4 and some of the senators in FE10.

Both together however can hypothetically lead to a more balanced person. Someone who's in tune with their beliefs but can see the truth in the world is most likely bound to lead themselves and others down a road of prosperity. Also, they can understand how much you can do with your knowledge before you do something reprehensive.
#10ChangliniPosted 11/30/2012 1:25:32 PM
Meh, the loading screen of SO: The line stated that there is no difference between what is right, and what is necessary.

So I don't know, could go anywhere.
---
The refurbish NER, oh how you've redeemed me.
Walker, you're here because you wanted to be something you're not, a hero ~Konrad