This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say HG/SS is the best Pokemon game ever?

#1leadinteaPosted 12/1/2012 5:23:40 AM
I just got SS recently and I've played up til Mahogany Town and I honestly don't know what the big deal about this game is. The storyline hasn't picked up at all and the gameplay seems the same as Pt. Not only that, but Gym Leaders seem to have a huge level boost compared to the trainers and wild Pokemon around their area which made some of the later battles a pain to go through (Chuck, Jasmine). The only thing I do like about the game is the interface, which is probably the best from all the games in the series I've played.

So why do people say these games are the best in the series? From what I've played, I just don't enjoy the game as much as I did BW and B2W2 and even some parts of Pt.
---
http://enneagames.livejournal.com/559.html
#2MugilokoPosted 12/1/2012 5:24:22 AM
Pokemon following you is the most overrated thing ever.

Maybe that's why.
---
BlackFC:1807-8830-3725. "Squids are evil!" http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/a/a6/571Zoroark.png/180px-571Zoroark.png
#3_Quest_Posted 12/1/2012 5:26:34 AM
Because it was a good game and people have opinions.

And Pokemon following you was a nice aesthetic touch, and people will complain about the feature, but they're just being naysayers.
---
To be born Welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But with a song in your heart and poetry in your soul. <3
#4NextGen_TBPosted 12/1/2012 5:32:44 AM
They do?
---
It's better than logic, it's Nintendo Logic!
"....I completely, utterly, most profusely DESPISE Lucas... Lucas will NEVER be cool." - silversunsspu
#5JustinBooPosted 12/1/2012 5:36:15 AM
Not to sound condescending, but have you played earlier Pokemon games? All of them basically have the same gameplay. HG/SS are great (I think they are) because they are a remake of G/S/C, which many, including myself, found to be an awesome era for Pokemon. It's fun seeing what's new, and what's the same from the original GBC games.
---
|PSN: Shenjii|
If my posts are a wall of text, it's because I'm on my phone. :)
#6Teh_TiltyuPosted 12/1/2012 5:39:22 AM
because people have nostalgia for the piece of crap known as gen 2
---
http://i.imgur.com/aONxd.png http://i.imgur.com/KjeJa.png
#7vermillion719Posted 12/1/2012 5:54:59 AM
...I don't think I've ever seen anyone say that. o.o
---
"Why don't you just take this picture for what it is? Teemo being stuffed and mounted by renek." - Serenderpity
LoL Name: Thanamar
#8SlimeStackPosted 12/1/2012 6:00:24 AM
I mostly like it for the interface and Pokémon following you. The music and designs of the characters and Pokémon in Johto and Kanto are great too. One can't deny the weird level balance and underwhelmingly short adventures through the two regions though.
---
Pokemon Black Version 2:
Sean - 1163 7615 1957
#9GastroFanPosted 12/1/2012 6:07:38 AM
I know that the part I liked best about HG/SS was getting to battle the gym leaders again once a week and having a photo taken with them postgame. That's what I wish they would've incorporated into B/W1 and B/W2 along with being notified by phone when you have an egg at daycare (doesn't beat the day care app for the poketch though). That and the mansions in Platinum (yours in the Resort Area, and Mr. Backlot's with the trophy garden in the back), hot springs like in R/S/E (lavaridge comes to mind) and even those stupid contests from R/S/E (wasn't that fond of the pokeathlon btw) since I'm not really into battling.

Official Cresselia of B/W2 Boards; Official Darkrai of PMD3 Board
When will there be an official Cresselia event?
#10FefnirOmega13Posted 12/1/2012 6:08:39 AM
It's an excellent remake of an originally terrible game that did very little to improve the series as a whole.

That said, HGSS is gen 4, not gen 2.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia