This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What if the new Pokemon type in gen6 is

#51TGSnowwyPosted 12/1/2012 7:18:47 PM
No new type; just a new ability.
Plot Armor
-Plus side: Randomly shrugs off super-effective or simply powerful attacks.
-Down side: Nerfs your level for randomly chosen battles.
#52Nidhogg151Posted 12/2/2012 1:10:01 AM
TGSnowwy posted...
No new type; just a new ability.
Plot Armor
-Plus side: Randomly shrugs off super-effective or simply powerful attacks.
-Down side: Nerfs your level for randomly chosen battles.

I like the basic idea but the downside is too much. You'd get basically a resist (or immunity?) to one attack randomly vs being weak for an entire battle randomly. I think a better downside would be to make the downside be the exact opposite of the plus side. Make attacks super-effective randomly or add more power to weaker incoming attacks.

I think a weapon version of the same ability would be cool too. Attacks that are normally not super effective become so, though attacks that normally are might not be. I'm not sure you'd see much of it in competitive play because of the randomness and the downsides, but it would be fun to mess around with in the main game anyway.
---
You can never be too rich, too good-looking, or too well armed.
Pokemon White 2: 4986 2948 4576
#53jayman7Posted 12/2/2012 1:26:02 AM
Even if you say "The Dark type is only for evil or sneaky tactics", we actually do have a type that's (at least partially) based on the concept of darkness: Ghost. What else could you call a type that includes moves like Shadow Ball/Claw/Force/Punch/Sneak, Night Shade, or the decidedly non-Ghost-like Sableye?

Which basically kills most anti-Light-type arguments, really, besides "I don't want it". I don't care if there are new types in the sixth gen so long as they aren't insanely dumb and make at least an attempt at balance.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#54Nidhogg151Posted 12/2/2012 1:57:35 AM
jayman7 posted...
Even if you say "The Dark type is only for evil or sneaky tactics", we actually do have a type that's (at least partially) based on the concept of darkness: Ghost. What else could you call a type that includes moves like Shadow Ball/Claw/Force/Punch/Sneak, Night Shade, or the decidedly non-Ghost-like Sableye?

Which basically kills most anti-Light-type arguments, really, besides "I don't want it". I don't care if there are new types in the sixth gen so long as they aren't insanely dumb and make at least an attempt at balance.

This. I don't understand this resounding hatred for Light either. Traditionally, this type should have been one of the first types added, or at least added with Dark in gen II. It's a very common "element" in RPG's/MMOs. Not to mention that most light/holy based attacks in RPGs/MMOs aren't in Pokemon at all except for the ones that really needed to be in the game and got thrown in as some other typing. So it's not like it'd be redundant.

I personally don't really have a side in the argument of whether they'll actually add more types. It seems to me it's just as likely they add more as it would be if they didn't add more. But if they do, Light is definitely one the forerunning types that they could add along with a Space/Time type.
---
You can never be too rich, too good-looking, or too well armed.
Pokemon White 2: 4986 2948 4576