This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So does this game have a black protagonist?

#1Jarred623Posted 12/1/2012 5:39:58 PM
The title indicates it.
If not, when do you expect the games to have black protagonists?
Or antagonists, I'm not too picky.
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. This status is only given out by the site admin.
#2TehTrumpCardPosted 12/1/2012 5:50:33 PM(edited)
As soon as black people are a common sight in Japan.
---
If everyone was right who'd be the gigalomaniac? "Whose eyes are those eyes?"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#3TheKitchenRatPosted 12/1/2012 5:50:26 PM
No, it doesn't.
---
This sig is a lie.
#4ColebyPosted 12/1/2012 5:52:10 PM
They did show attempt a little ethnic diversity this gen, just look at Lenora, Marshal and Iris (Marlon?). Though it's still a longshot from actually having a non-white protagonist, admittedly.
---
ERROR 404
File Not Found
#5HydroDragonPosted 12/1/2012 6:14:29 PM(edited)
So what next? A native american protagonist? An eskimo protagonist? We should have options for all ethnicites right?

No, because the pokemon world isn't based on the real world so there's no need to be politically correct. Should it have been more ethnically diverse from the beginning? I'd say so, yes. But it's too late to change it now. I mean, practically everyone except Lenora is not black so how does she even exist? Is she a mutant or something?

(BTW before you accuse me of being a racist christmas cracker, the ethnic majority of the Pokeworld are asians.......there are probably more black people than caucasians in these games. Surge is the only caucasian I've seen I think.)
---
PSN/X-Box:- HydroDragon95
White Friend Code:- 0690 7918 2154
#6Jarred623(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 6:37:51 PM
TehTrumpCard posted...

Explain this then please.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4916429637_72bdf1df89.jpg
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. This status is only given out by the site admin.
#7trutenorPosted 12/1/2012 6:54:52 PM
Jarred623 posted...
TehTrumpCard posted...

That's easy. Internet, Cable Television, and newspapers. It's similar to how several people in the West know about Japanese mythology and culture despite very rarely meeting anyone from Japan.

Granted, black people are in Japan (I have a cousin in Hokkaido), but they are such a rarity that it almost isn't a factor (compared to Hispanics/Latinos in America).

At least Gamefreak does better than most rpg's with non-asian/caucasian characters. The dancers, basketball and football players are a nice touch (three different black npc's), and look at what they did with Lenora, Marshal, and Iris. Lenora has an interracial marriage (most games try to stay away from this), Marshal is considered to be the most powerful of the Unova Elite 4 (and is Alder's student), and I think it's obvious what happened to Iris.

It would be nice to see more diversity in the protagonists (or include a character customization option like skintones), but keep in mind that the games cater to the Japanese fanbase first, and everyone else second.
---
Pokemon White FC: Gemini: 2623 2488 5243
#8TehTrumpCardPosted 12/1/2012 6:59:48 PM
Jarred623 posted...
TehTrumpCard posted...

I was expecting to see Ganguro/Kogal so I could laugh.
---
If everyone was right who'd be the gigalomaniac? "Whose eyes are those eyes?"
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN: TehTrumpCard n ReimuHakure-
#9shiningpikablu252Posted 12/1/2012 7:06:16 PM(edited)
Sorry, but we've yet to have a black protagonist in any Pokémon game that's not international Battle Revolution, and even then there's yet to be a protagonist whose skin color is pre-set to black (international Battle Revolution black protagonists are the result of character customizability). Now, that doesn't mean there's not racial and ethnic diversity in the series, we've had it ever since the first generation (Brock's iconic for this), but given how Japanese culture works, odds are most of the racial/ethnic makeup in almost every country in the Pokémon series, be it the main series proper (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Orre, Sinnoh, and Unova), supplements of the main series (the unnamed Stadium 1 locale, White City, and the Japanese version of Pokétopia; the international version of Pokétopia is the exception to the trend), side series (most notably the Ranger locales), filler locales (hey, the anime's Orange Islands have to count for something), and the like tend to reflect Japanese and Asian cultures with very little exception...
---
I am a die hard Pokemon fan to the most, including the traditional hate of Yu-Gi-Oh.
#10DarkBlueAntPosted 12/1/2012 7:25:26 PM(edited)
HydroDragon posted...

(BTW before you accuse me of being a racist christmas cracker, the ethnic majority of the Pokeworld are asians.......there are probably more black people than caucasians in these games. Surge is the only caucasian I've seen I think.)

Surge isn't just white. He's American, which is super weird since it indicates real world countries exist in the Pokemon Universe....

Anyway, there are other people who seem Caucasian (or at least non-asian). Juan, for example. Arguably a lot of the gym leaders don't look asian (Chuck, Wallace, Brawly, Crasher, Fantina, Burgh, Drayden, ect.) but who knows with anime style art...

And as for other black people... Basketball player and Dancer... it's a start, right?