This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Easy improvements to Pokemon that don't involve the battle system

#1linkumsPosted 12/3/2012 10:49:12 AM
I wrote a blog post about improvements that I thought should be made to Pokemon this week. I didn't expect there to be much interest since it seems that everybody and their mother posts about that, but people actually seemed to agree with me for the most part, so I thought I'd share it here too.

The full article is here: http://whattheycallgames.blogspot.com/2012/12/improvements-to-pokemon-that-game-freak.html

To summarize some of the main points:
-Have a separate set of out-of-battle moves so HMs don't have to clog up your other moves.
-Bring back L=A, autorunning, Vs. Seeker, and optionally, popular minigames and side-things like Secret Bases
-Character customization
-Lower or nonexistent encounter rate when pokemon in the area are much lower level than you. However, you can still encounter Pokemon by holding a walk button (since normally you'd be autorunning).
-And several other things like fixing GTS, possibly fixing IVs, trading... and stuff.

What I don't do is say unrealistic suggestions like "Pokemon MMO!!" or "All regions in one game!!"

It's a fairly long post, so I won't copy it all here, but you're welcome to check it out for more details. Let me know what you think and if there's anything I missed.
---
Latest post: "Improvements to Pokemon GameFreak Doesn't Have the [Poke]Balls to Make"
http://whattheycallgames.blogspot.com/
#2Chaos GenesisPosted 12/3/2012 10:52:06 AM
How about retconning out the awfulness that was Generation V? The next games should just start over with number 494 -_-
---
PKMN Black 2: 4900 3748 6340 | 3DS: 1204 0469 8787
http://gpxplus.net/user/Spades+Slick/
#3MugilokoPosted 12/3/2012 10:55:59 AM
inb4pokemonfollowingyou

One thing i'd like to see is random weather.
---
BlackFC:1807-8830-3725. "Squids are evil!" http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/a/a6/571Zoroark.png/180px-571Zoroark.png
#4kwando1313Posted 12/3/2012 10:57:56 AM
I disagree with Character Customization. Oh. And getting rid of HMs. But... That's about it.
---
"[Soccer] is like chess, only without the dice." -Lukas Podolski
#5wackyteenPosted 12/3/2012 11:01:21 AM
-Bring back L=A, autorunning, Vs. Seeker, and optionally, popular minigames and side-things like Secret Bases

<3

I miss L=A so much. What was the point of removing it? Removing autorunning, I might could see.
---
The name is wackyteen for a reason. Never doubt.
#6SlimeStackPosted 12/3/2012 11:02:37 AM
HMs may as well just be gone completely. Blocking an area off until a gym leader is beaten is effectively the same as a HM requiring a badge, only the latter requires you to sacrifice a move slot. I find Pokémon blocking the way is more fun than bushes that require cut. Less bushes, more Sudowoodo please. And I don't get why Fly is a HM. There's never a situation where you'd be stuck without fly, since it's not required to enter a place ever. Maybe it made sense in Gen 1-4, but now that TMs are infinite Fly should be one of them.

And IVs should just be gone. Some other mechanic along the lines of natures and EVs where Pokémon are made different to eachother but not outright inferior would be much better, especially without the giant luck factor.
---
Pokemon Black Version 2:
Sean - 1163 7615 1957
#7shadowreaper7Posted 12/3/2012 11:02:57 AM
I think i agree with everything you've stated.
I actually miss HG/SS touch screen interactivity, it was just so easy to use. My left hand and my thumb. I could drink, read a book, or even clone some stuff on emerald using my right hand.

They've made some aspects better, at the cost of others.
For instance this C-gear, why hasn't it given me a flippable screen! I can swap to have my stats menu, or my C-gear open. It would be alot better. particularly because i rarely use the C-gear other than quick IR trading.

That and the GTS is probably my main gripe with the games. Concept, great. Functionality *insert curse of your choice here*
---
Black FC: 2666-8397-4718
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#8d_charizardPosted 12/3/2012 11:07:28 AM
I disagree with some of those points. Character customization stops characters like Red from realistically showing up in any significant role in future games. (As it makes any individual design almost unnotable.)

The encounter rate in such low-level areas shouldn't be DRASTICALLY reduced, especially when there isn't any LOGICAL way to toggle this. Not all Pokemon species show up in the final routes of the game. Why should finding that Swarm Pokemon on Route 1 or something be made that much harder?

Having out-of-battle moves not use moveslots would defeat the purpose of them existing and not just, for example, being hatchets and surfboards, and aside from Cut, as of Gen 5, they're all decent enough that having them on an actual Pokemon isn't going to majorly screw you. (And really, only Surf and Strength are "required" to be on-hand at most points of the game.) Excluding Cut, I haven't used a HM slave since like early Gen 3.

I agree with the Vs. Seeker (or at least a Match Call/Pokegear-style rematch system) returning, though.

My biggest suggestion would be to stop changing the DNS allowing Pokemon to come from sources other than the GTS. And making completed trades disappear from the GTS much, much quicker, or be indicated in some way. It should also allow you to immediately refresh the search you just did after completing a trade/being told it has already been traded.

Aside from the GTS things, Apricorn Pokeballs would be a welcome returning feature. As well as the Battle Frontier, of course. I'd like regular (Gen 3-style) contests to return, but I unfortunately don't see this happening. I miss them being move-based. More returning battlers would be cool, too. (As awsome as the PWT is, it doesn't include EVERYONE. Stuff like Elite 4 members, previous protagonists/rivals, etc.) Oh, and make genderless Pokemon Hidden Abilities breedable. (Excluding unbreedable Pokemon like legendaries and Ditto, of course, and ignoring Ditto's Hidden Ability status.)
#9JunahuPosted 12/3/2012 11:40:35 AM
1) Allow GTS searches based on the pokemon you HAVE, rather than the pokemon you WANT.
I.e. if you have a male lv11 Tepig, you could search for trades than want a lv11-20 Male Tepig (or Any Tepig)

2) Also, have an auto-search when depositing a Pokemon. If I deposit a Tepig and ask for a Snivy, the GTS should check to see if there are any deposited Snivy that are asking for a Tepig, and then automatically trade those.

3) The ability to "say" a word in your game's vocabulary during GTS Negotiations (e.g. if I want a Nidoran with Hustle, I should be able to pick the words "Nidoran" and "Hustle" from the game's word list, and show them to my trade partner)
#10MDS2005Posted 12/3/2012 11:43:59 AM
Chaos Genesis posted...
How about retconning out the awfulness that was Generation V? The next games should just start over with number 494 -_-

Hah, hahah.

...wat.
---
When I see human babies, I want to ragequit life.
You lack in the common English is an outrage.