This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rebuttal against the smogon hate

#21KeeperOfShadowsPosted 12/4/2012 11:59:47 PM
TheEighthSage posted...

I do though, does that make me the King of Kings? :P

On topic, I honestly don't get the hate at all. Is it the idea that someone took time and effort to attempt a (mostly) fair set of guidelines for battling? Or the vocal minority that swear by it like it's the word of God? Seriously, it's like watching a tennis match @_@

I'd say its this more than anything else. I don't think people seriously hate Smogon for the other reasons. Not that much, anyway.
---
I am The Defender of Darkness. The Knight of Nothingness. The Master of Murkiness.
I am the Keeper of Shadows, AND I WILL RULE YOU!!
#22TherianReturnsPosted 12/5/2012 12:41:58 AM
I have a girlfriend, TC.

Can't beat that, can ya

Smogon fails.
---
Let me make this crystal clear; Ruby and Sapphire remakes are coming this generation (gen 5). Get the hell over it.
#23KeeperOfShadowsPosted 12/5/2012 1:00:04 AM
TherianReturns posted...
I have a girlfriend, TC.

Can't beat that, can ya

Smogon fails.

A wife trumps a girlfriend.

But otherwise I'd agree.
---
I am The Defender of Darkness. The Knight of Nothingness. The Master of Murkiness.
I am the Keeper of Shadows, AND I WILL RULE YOU!!
#24DingKingPosted 12/5/2012 1:27:20 AM
Lol why can we just have fun anymore?
---
Currently Playing:Dead or Alive 5, Warhammer 40,000:Space Marine, NiGHTS into Dreams HD(soon)
TECHNODROME:LET'S KICK SHELL PSN:DingKingDS
#25XazealPosted 12/5/2012 1:51:40 AM
You could tell these people Smogon cured cancer and achieved world peace and they'd still hate them.

Really, you're not wrong, but this was a waste of time on your part.
---
Coconuts kill.
#26Heavenboy88Posted 12/5/2012 2:09:47 AM
I think the main problem is that people see the builds presented on smogon as prescriptions. But they are not, they're just suggestions. One can come up with better builds than those presented there and so have some freedom over the own pokemon.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3354 2336 7529 Pino
#27DragonNinja1337Posted 12/5/2012 2:47:36 AM(edited)
Smogon is dumb because its moderators and Administrators are capable of kicking and banning people from their forums, IRC channels and battling simulator servers, delete people's posts/infract them, or edit their signatures and avatars on their forums randomly for no reason at all.
---
Smogon sucks.
#28ZombieAkanePosted 12/5/2012 3:07:37 AM
Requested for sticky.
---
"If I facepalm as hard as I wanted to it would be a mortal kombat fatality" - knightimex
#29TherianReturnsPosted 12/5/2012 3:44:42 AM
KeeperOfShadows posted...
TherianReturns posted...
I have a girlfriend, TC.

Can't beat that, can ya

Smogon fails.

A wife trumps a girlfriend.

But otherwise I'd agree.

Gotta love Vanessa Bryant, the full counter to that notion (:
---
Let me make this crystal clear; Ruby and Sapphire remakes are coming this generation (gen 5). Get the hell over it.
#30Nidhogg151Posted 12/5/2012 4:02:11 AM
I agree, and not because it's Smogon, but because as someone who's been playing video games for as long as I have knows that when playing competitively, not everything is balanced properly by the devs and we often need outside "rules" to make up for that. I would never say anyone has to follow them to play, but for those who want it to be more balanced it is something very nice to have.

Most of the points here are pretty valid too, it's hard to argue against a tier system so long as it's not being forced on you. Which last I checked I haven't really seen many people try to force it around here. Rather, most people say that's how they want to play and they don't want to play with others who don't wish to play the same way, which is perfectly fine.

For me, sites like Smogon are an excellent place to go when you aren't sure about a strategy. I took a long break from competitive battling after Pearl up until W2, which ment a lot had changed and I was starting over again. So that site helped me get my bearings, and later on I'll make my own strategies once I know more personally about what works and what doesn't So no need to bash it, just go elsewhere if you don't like it. Wifi battles are not going to ban you for not following Smogon.
---
You can never be too rich, too good-looking, or too well armed.
Pokemon White 2: 4986 2948 4576