This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which Gen had the worst starters?

#81HydroDragonPosted 12/6/2012 9:43:23 AM
YaRlyJoe posted...
I would say Gen 2.

Meganium is lol, Feraligatr and Typhlosion have hardly any decent moves, but at least they look cool.

But then Gen 5 came out.

Third Fire/Fighting starter IN A ROW (and it looks dumb as all hell). Samurott is boring. Serperior sucks (except with contrary, then it's awesome)

Feraligatr has hardly any decent moves? I beg to differ.....Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Agility, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Aqua Tail, Superpower, Ice Punch, Crunch, Earthquake, Brick Break, Dragon Tail, Dragon Claw, Flail, Scald, Ice Beam, Roar, Hydro Pump, Surf....not sure what other moves you could reasonably expect him to have to be honest.
---
PSN/X-Box:- HydroDragon95
White Friend Code:- 0690 7918 2154
#82MugilokoPosted 12/6/2012 10:01:40 AM
SilentS89 posted...
Masterchief5525 posted...
Gen V for sure. On a side note how can anyone dislike Gen I?

Nobody dislikes Gen I, they just trolling.

So, just because someone has a different opinion than yours, they're trolling? Rofl.
---
BlackFC:1807-8830-3725. "Squids are evil!" http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/a/a6/571Zoroark.png/180px-571Zoroark.png
#83el_tercer_poderPosted 12/6/2012 10:16:52 AM
Funny how my favorite set of starters (Sinnoh's) was followed by what I consider the worst one (Unova's).
Sure, they don't look/are THAT bad, and they can surprise you if used right; but for the most part, and after the awesomeness that the last set were, Unova's were underwhelming...
---
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)
#84ThatGuyZPosted 12/6/2012 10:19:50 AM
HydroDragon posted...
YaRlyJoe posted...
I would say Gen 2.

Meganium is lol, Feraligatr and Typhlosion have hardly any decent moves, but at least they look cool.

But then Gen 5 came out.

Third Fire/Fighting starter IN A ROW (and it looks dumb as all hell). Samurott is boring. Serperior sucks (except with contrary, then it's awesome)

Feraligatr has hardly any decent moves? I beg to differ.....Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Agility, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Aqua Tail, Superpower, Ice Punch, Crunch, Earthquake, Brick Break, Dragon Tail, Dragon Claw, Flail, Scald, Ice Beam, Roar, Hydro Pump, Surf....not sure what other moves you could reasonably expect him to have to be honest.

Actually, when they first came out, they all lacked in variety-Meganium is self-explanatory, Typhlosion was stuck with Flame Wheel for most of the game as its STAB move while being a mono-typed Charizard, and Feraligatr couldn't really make any use of its Water STABs, primarily because of the lack of the Phys/Spec split and its moderate Special Attack stat, plus having to rely on TMs to be considered truly, "useful".
---
For every set of games I see the exact same weapons, specials, and characters used over and over, I die a little as a gamer..;3DS FC-5370-0900-3336
#85HydroDragonPosted 12/6/2012 10:28:37 AM
ThatGuyZ posted...
HydroDragon posted...
YaRlyJoe posted...
I would say Gen 2.

But then Gen 5 came out.

Actually, when they first came out, they all lacked in variety-Meganium is self-explanatory, Typhlosion was stuck with Flame Wheel for most of the game as its STAB move while being a mono-typed Charizard, and Feraligatr couldn't really make any use of its Water STABs, primarily because of the lack of the Phys/Spec split and its moderate Special Attack stat, plus having to rely on TMs to be considered truly, "useful".

You're criticizing the game here though, not the actual pokemon. If Samurott was released in gen 2 for example you could apply all of this to him too.
---
#86ThatGuyZPosted 12/6/2012 10:33:34 AM
HydroDragon posted...
ThatGuyZ posted...
HydroDragon posted...
YaRlyJoe posted...
I would say Gen 2.

But then Gen 5 came out.

You're criticizing the game here though, not the actual pokemon. If Samurott was released in gen 2 for example you could apply all of this to him too.

Except it wasn't, the GEN II starters were. I'm only explaining their issues from their debut, considering that's what we're giving emphasis on-from their debut to now. Not saying that they aren't useful now, but they still kind of sucked when they first came out.
---
For every set of games I see the exact same weapons, specials, and characters used over and over, I die a little as a gamer..;3DS FC-5370-0900-3336
#87debreasPosted 12/6/2012 10:46:36 AM
gen V has it's downfalls when it comes to starters yet i will have to say gen IV was the most disappointment. Infernape only saving grace, if you get him high enough, was close combat. Blaziken for gen 3 only downfall was not getting that move but he was deadly anyways. Swampert as a water/ground was more useful for dual types than torterra. Though treecko was the worse of the bunch in lacking his own type moves earlier in the game i though att power he hit harder than all 3 gen IV starters.
#88HydroDragonPosted 12/6/2012 10:51:41 AM
I think the Gen 4 starters were the most well designed, especially since there'd already been 3 generations meaning they needed to get creative. Though none of the starters are really bad except perhaps Meganium and definitely the Gen 5 starters.
---
#89KibalnuzukaPosted 12/6/2012 11:00:05 AM
Mugiloko posted...
SilentS89 posted...
Masterchief5525 posted...
Gen V for sure. On a side note how can anyone dislike Gen I?

Nobody dislikes Gen I, they just trolling.

So, just because someone has a different opinion than yours, they're trolling? Rofl.

That's sadly how the world works nowadays. :\
---
Official Dunsparce of the PMD3 board
Check my profile for FCs.
#90Dark_EinherjarPosted 12/6/2012 11:02:17 AM
ThatGuyZ posted...
Except it wasn't, the GEN II starters were. I'm only explaining their issues from their debut, considering that's what we're giving emphasis on-from their debut to now. Not saying that they aren't useful now, but they still kind of sucked when they first came out.

On Typhlosion's defense, it had access to Fire Punch and Thunderpunch (buyable TMs) once it fully evolved back in Gen II, which made it quite good in the mid-late game.
---
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black