This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anybody else think FR/LG>>RSE?

#41Masterbob1872Posted 12/7/2012 8:21:33 AM
E>FR/LG>R/S

Emerald is my favorite of the Gen 3 games.
#42FuzzyJelloPosted 12/7/2012 8:45:21 AM
Teh_Tiltyu posted...
HGSS celebrated their source material

so this is why they still sucked

As in held back by their Game Boy Color World structure and obstacles, simpler music, not-entirely-independent storyline, and having easily-argued weakest batch of Pokemon? Sure. But in both content and scope they were far better matches for Sinnoh than Kanto was to Hoenn.
#43ClassyOldHatPosted 12/7/2012 10:24:56 AM
gopack24 posted...
Definitely not. I enjoyed FRLG, but I love Hoenn. I am apparently in the minority who have heard of these "repels," though (based on how much ERMAGERD WATER WAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN USE IT posts...but of course vocal minority blahblahblah...)

I'm sorry, what was the question? Yes, I like potatoes.

People who's answer to the problem of water in Hoenn is "REPELS! WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO USE REPELS?" fundamentally misunderstand the reason for the complaints. Allow me to quote a post about this I made on another topic:

You probably list this in response to complaints of constant Tentacool and Wingull encounters. But I don't think the frequency of the encounters was the issue most people had, and that's only thing Repel would solve. In fact, I'd argue that the main encounter-related complaints come from people who WANT encounters. Why do they complain then?

To start with; the erratic levels of ocean Pokemon make for horrid level grinding. While the levels could be as high as 35, they could also be as low as 5. Considering that Wingull and Tentacool aren't exactly on par with Audino in the area of giving experience already, encountering ones ten or more levels below your Pokemon's level is just frustrating when you need that one last level to stand a chance against a gym leader.

Then there's the lack of diversity: part of the fun of coming to a new route, forest, or cave, in Pokemon is finding new Pokemon, or even just evolutions of old Pokemon. While you may "only" be required to traverse the ocean during the last fourth of the plot, that's still a fourth during which you will only encounter Wingull, Tentacool and Pelipper, unless you feel like doing some fishing (And even then, except for the areas around Pacifidlog Town and Evergrand City, the only things you will ever pick up are Magikarp, Wailmer, and Sharpedo). Can you name any other Pokemon game, or even any RPG in general, where fifteen routes have encounter lists that are nigh-indistinguishable from each other, down to level and encounter rate?
#44ExcIusivity69Posted 12/7/2012 11:52:58 AM
FR/LF saved gen 3, along with Coliseum, and XD.
---
When did "casual player" become an insult? -Taizuku
The real question is "When did hardcore gamer become a compliment/aspiration?" -JMBoote
#45Ari917Posted 12/7/2012 12:05:54 PM
To be honest, I found FR/LG to be the Shadow Dragon of Pokemon. Ok remake, fixed up some stuff and balance but was rather bland overall except for the islands.
#46Teh_TiltyuPosted 12/7/2012 1:39:59 PM
Teh_Tiltyu posted...

As in held back by their Game Boy Color World structure and obstacles, simpler music, not-entirely-independent storyline, and having easily-argued weakest batch of Pokemon? Sure. But in both content and scope they were far better matches for Sinnoh than Kanto was to Hoenn.

HG/SS only had decent content postgame, and only a few legends and johto leaders/E4 rematches if you don't count what platinum also has (birds, frontier)
---
http://i.imgur.com/aONxd.png http://i.imgur.com/KjeJa.png
#47FuzzyJelloPosted 12/7/2012 4:59:15 PM
Teh_Tiltyu posted...
Teh_Tiltyu posted...

HG/SS only had decent content postgame, and only a few legends and johto leaders/E4 rematches if you don't count what platinum also has (birds, frontier)

But then if you take the birds and frontier away from Platinum, what else does Platinum have? And in any event, the Frontier saved HGSS's otherwise non-existence postgame. That that the Trainer Tower didn't do so for FRLG- which had ZERO post game- is a glaring issue.
#48360pagesPosted 12/7/2012 5:02:25 PM
Marbiaach posted...
HG/SS are well, newer.

Never liked RSE.
---
Black Friend code 5457 8868 8614
Brawl friend code 1205-6397-3466
#49FuzzyJelloPosted 12/7/2012 5:03:44 PM
FuzzyJello posted...
Teh_Tiltyu posted...
Teh_Tiltyu posted...

But then if you take the birds and frontier away from Platinum, what else does Platinum have? And in any event, the Frontier saved HGSS's otherwise non-existent postgame. That that the Trainer Tower didn't do so for FRLG- which had ZERO post game- is a glaring issue.
#50360pagesPosted 12/7/2012 5:06:36 PM
Don't reply to Teh_Tityu, he's a known troll
---
Black Friend code 5457 8868 8614
Brawl friend code 1205-6397-3466