This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamefreak is not being fair with pokemon sexuality.

#231LexifoxPosted 12/30/2012 2:02:55 AM
Ruwalk posted...
When I become a parent I won't want to have to explain that stuff to my 8 year old, they're exposed to this kind of thing too early already with everything else. When they hit puberty, then they can be talked about all of that in a sensible manner.

So how will you explain things like pregnancy and the Daycare thing?

Yes, let's capture these random animals, rip them away from their natural habitat, train them specifically to beat each other senseless, but the human who forces them into all of this gets the credit.

The games explain that Pokemon like to go with humans and enjoy battling, etc.

I'm not saying don't fight for equality in games, but pick your battles people. For the sexuality thing, pick games where character relationships actually play a role and influence the game.

I'd argue that depicting homosexuality as something not as twisted and bizarre as many seem to think would do this.

Like the Harvest Moon series, Star Ocean, Mass Effect, etc. Character relationships in the games mean almost nothing in pokemon except for evolution and getting a virtual egg.

Harvest Moon has lesbian marriage. The US/EU version removed it.

No one remembers Star Ocean.

Mass Effect was one of the worst examples because you were either straight or lesbian for an alien. The sequel let you keep being a lesbian, but without the possibility for a relationship, just a one-night stand (at best). ME3 finally let you play as a gay man, but it was ME3 and one of the biggest let-downs of gaming history.

I think Dragon Age is a better example.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#232DrgonbxcrossPosted 12/30/2012 4:15:55 AM
Lexifox posted...

Drgonbxcross posted...
*Understand the general consensus about what causes people to be g ay*

*Observe how attract doesn't work on same sex pokemon*

*Come to logical conclusion*

Apparently you have to be a fictional pokemon scientist to use 10th grade biology.

Have you ever spoken to the NPCs? You really don't.

What NPC's are you talking about? I hardly remember any of them talking about being gay.
---
this one time, i found a pube in my unopened pokemon game
I would have 1500 karma, but I forgot to login. FC 2065 3310 1217
#233Capitan_KidPosted 12/30/2012 10:21:26 AM
Im curious. People who want gay pokemon, how exactly would this be beneficial to the game? Its not like gay pokemon can make babies
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
#234LexifoxPosted 12/30/2012 10:23:03 AM
Drgonbxcross posted...
What NPC's are you talking about? I hardly remember any of them talking about being gay.

Because that text was removed for the NA/EU versions.

Jokes aside, I was saying that having a 10th grade education makes you smarter than most of the Pokemon NPCs.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#235PyroThrowerPosted 12/30/2012 11:58:24 AM(edited)
Lexifox posted...
Ruwalk posted...
When I become a parent I won't want to have to explain that stuff to my 8 year old, they're exposed to this kind of thing too early already with everything else. When they hit puberty, then they can be talked about all of that in a sensible manner.

So how will you explain things like pregnancy and the Daycare thing?

Yes, let's capture these random animals, rip them away from their natural habitat, train them specifically to beat each other senseless, but the human who forces them into all of this gets the credit.

The games explain that Pokemon like to go with humans and enjoy battling, etc.

I'm not saying don't fight for equality in games, but pick your battles people. For the sexuality thing, pick games where character relationships actually play a role and influence the game.

I'd argue that depicting homosexuality as something not as twisted and bizarre as many seem to think would do this.

Like the Harvest Moon series, Star Ocean, Mass Effect, etc. Character relationships in the games mean almost nothing in pokemon except for evolution and getting a virtual egg.

Harvest Moon has lesbian marriage. The US/EU version removed it.

No one remembers Star Ocean.

Mass Effect was one of the worst examples because you were either straight or lesbian for an alien. The sequel let you keep being a lesbian, but without the possibility for a relationship, just a one-night stand (at best). ME3 finally let you play as a gay man, but it was ME3 and one of the biggest let-downs of gaming history.

I think Dragon Age is a better example.

You've never tried the online multiplayer, I can tell.

But I have.

BioWare? They've redeemed themselves in my book.

---
http://gifsoup.com/view7/2943919/aran-ryan-o.gif
I WILL SEND MY CONDOLENCES TO YOUR KANGAROO WIFE! -Soldier
#236DrgonbxcrossPosted 12/30/2012 2:48:55 PM
PyroThrower posted...

Not until they fix swtor/KTOR and make sure that DA 3 is AMAZING.

Only then.
---
this one time, i found a pube in my unopened pokemon game
I would have 1500 karma, but I forgot to login. FC 2065 3310 1217
#237lighting_deityPosted 12/30/2012 2:52:31 PM
dear god! why did you guys take the bait.
---
if life gives you melons, you are probably dyslexic
#238BluntGruntPosted 12/30/2012 2:53:56 PM
Why do you idiots keep bumping this stupid topic!?
---
?????
#239lighting_deityPosted 12/30/2012 2:55:40 PM
Lexifox posted...
Drgonbxcross posted...

Because that text was removed for the NA/EU versions.

Jokes aside, I was saying that having a 10th grade education makes you smarter than most of the Pokemon NPCs.

most eh? and you would think that but a lot of people my age are pretty stupid.
---
if life gives you melons, you are probably dyslexic
#240PyroThrowerPosted 12/30/2012 3:02:21 PM
Drgonbxcross posted...
PyroThrower posted...

Not until they fix swtor/KTOR and make sure that DA 3 is AMAZING.

Only then.

Meh.

I suppose an argument could be made in your favor.
---
http://gifsoup.com/view7/2943919/aran-ryan-o.gif
I WILL SEND MY CONDOLENCES TO YOUR KANGAROO WIFE! -Soldier