This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The FIRST 150 Pokemon Were the BEST 150 Pokemon

#1GalladetheGreatPosted 1/2/2013 8:32:28 AM
Nostalgia is a powerful force, sure, but look through the original illustrations and you will find it to be true: there is a certain charm, a certain charismatic quality that is missing from the newest Pokémon. As an artist, I find it really interesting to look through the prototype illustrations and concept art behind the frachise, dating back to when the series was called Capsule Monsters.

Rhydon, Bulbasaur, Blastoise: They were fantastical creatures, and Taijiri really had a fantastic concept. The world we can see in these prototypal concept works is pungent and relatable. Sugimori's artwork has paled, in recent years, to capture this fantasy. The designs behind these new Pokémon are not the same; they are convoluted, over-complicated, and if they are Pokémon, they are not the Pokémon they used to be.

A look at the modern art direction for Pokémon reveals a steady decline in anything novel since the days even of Red and Blue. Divorce this from a bias: my favourite generation was the second, because the games were just so fun, but the design and artwork I can easily say was already in a state of decline. We begin to see designs that stand out among the others, especially among the legends. Raikou and the other legendary beasts come to mind: over-complicated when compared to the other Pokémon, which are tastefully simple by comparison, though not without characteristic charm.

Generation III took us further down the spiral by removing nearly all of the original Pokémon, and introducing a record 150 new creatures. These showed little semblance to the originals, and among them the unifying quality seems to be "poorly conceived". Consider Seviper, when compared to the charming Arbok: The former incorporates the same colours in ill measure, and its coat is overcomplicated and mechanical. It has none of the nuance of a real-life snake, which Arbok captures expertly.

Also coming to mind is Salamence, a great example of how a poor design can ruin a potentially great idea. Salamence, a western Dragon born of the European concept of the mythical Salamander, could have potentially been a great design. However, there are several issues. In game, the statistics of the Pokémon are incongruent with the design; Salamence is a fast Pokémon, but it appears awkward, slow, and clumsy. Its crown seems to be streamlined for aerial chase, and it has all the markings of a predator, but its rotund body seems ill-suited for high speed flight. Its wings may be the worst offenders: there seems to be no good reason for the shape of 'Mence's sickle-shaped wings, but they are as they are, and only serve to augment this ugly Pokémon's ugly design. One would think that a dragon would be just as iconic without funnily shaped wings, just as Dragonite was without them, and just as Arbok did not need a blade on its tail, but these are only regrets.

DNP, CONTINUED
---
glladgrat
Don't get mad, get gllad.
#2GalladetheGreat(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 8:32:40 AM
The fourth generation brought another reboot, and 150 more Pokémon. Again, the chiefest offenders to the design space seem to be the legendaries, which look more like machines then ever: Dailga, Palkia, Giratina, and even Cresselia are making the heavens of the Pokémon world look less like a pantheon of Gods and more like a circus of fools.

The betrothed best pseudo-legend ever sums perfectly everything wrong with these designs: if it isn't interesting enough, add more colours, more fins, more spikes and more claws. In fact, I would make the concession that Garchomp would be a perfectly dynamic Pokémon, if it weren't for the reasonless "star" which adorns his head, and it weren't that there are both sickles and fins on his forearms where either would suffice, and that its has two (utterly USELESS from a biological standpoint) spikes on each of its appendages, Garchomp might be a pretty cool Pokémon.

Proponents of the argument that the original designs were just as bad will often bring about the arguments of Ditto and Dugtrio, Magnemite and the like. To this I will say that these are designs which are elegant in their simplicity. Ditto is a pink amorphous blob, and I am glad that it is. It writhes and wriggles and transforms, Its neutral expression is adorable and evocative of its ever-changing nature. Meanwhile, Dugtrio presents another interesting design. The amalgamation of three creatures, it is a Pokémon in a way that most can't be. Its multiple nature presents a unique imagination of the world: I know that when I send out Trio to revenge kill in UU, I'm not thinking I'm sending "him" out, but "them". Magnemite is another intriguing design. Yes, its a steel ball, a pair of magnets, and a bundle of screws. And damn it if it isn't a charming one.

Convince me that Swalot is charming. Explain to me why the poison type Pokémon has a yellow mustache, and the significance of the black diamonds around his middle. Explain why Seviper needs a blade on its tail, and how Zangoose is like a mangoose.

Or maybe, if you think about it, and if you transcend the cynical notion that nostalgia so blinds us, you might agree with me. Towards the future, remain vigilant in your discerning eye. We are the consumer architects, and your purchasing power will forever shape the world of Pokémon. Write a letter to your congressman today.

For further reading and viewing, I urge you to check out the original prototype artwork to which I refer. A quick google search of Capsule Monsters will do you well.

TL;DR: Old Pokémon are better designed than new Pokémon, which are at once not charming and deliberately complicated in efforts to forge new identities among the growing cast of bastard creatures.

POST DONE.
---
glladgrat
#3ChackNorris7Posted 1/2/2013 8:34:11 AM
TL,DR
---
Black 2 FC: 0175-9215-2857
#4LexifoxPosted 1/2/2013 8:34:59 AM
Did you type this or did you copy/paste it from a troll thread?
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#5GalladetheGreat(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 8:35:41 AM
ChackNorris7 posted...
TL,DR

TL;DR: Old Pokémon are better designed than new Pokémon, which are at once not charming and deliberately complicated in efforts to forge new identities among the growing cast of bastard creatures.
---
glladgrat
#6ChackNorris7Posted 1/2/2013 8:36:30 AM
GalladetheGreat posted...
ChackNorris7 posted...
TL,DR

Still doesn't make any sense.
---
Black 2 FC: 0175-9215-2857
#7XxMahnaMahnaxXPosted 1/2/2013 8:36:47 AM
Boo
---
http://i.imgur.com/GYR8U.png
The power of GRASS! Let me show you! -- http://i.imgur.com/oUR9s.png
#8XazealPosted 1/2/2013 8:36:49 AM
Not even entertaining.
---
Coconuts kill.
#9MugilokoPosted 1/2/2013 8:45:01 AM(edited)
TL,DR

TL;DR: Old Pokémon are better designed than new Pokémon, which are at once not charming and deliberatly complicated in efforts to forge nee indentities among the growing cast of bastard creatures.

---
BlackFC:1807-8830-3725. "Squids are evil!" http://i.imgur.com/VcOip.png
#10infinitexxPosted 1/2/2013 8:38:15 AM
What have you got against Mew you jerk?
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1