This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The FIRST 150 Pokemon Were the BEST 150 Pokemon

#51toomanymouthsPosted 1/2/2013 2:39:22 PM
TC, whether or not you're trolling, I 100% agree with your opening post and have been saying this same thing for years now....

Thank you for posting this.

I don't understand why others can't/won't see this.
#52Carbuncle009Posted 1/2/2013 2:48:00 PM(edited)
And TC, here are the total pokemon each gen.
1: 151
2: 252
3: 386
4. 493
5. 649

So each generation brought the following
1: 151
2: 101
3: 134
4. 106
5. 155

And here you say each one brings 150...

You are making it really hard for me to not bomb this topic right now. I killed off three troll topics on the KI:U boards and two on the 3DS boards, heck, my signature derailed a 3DS Ambassador Hate Topic within the first page and directed it off a pit with only 20 posts. I don't mess around.

Oh wait, yeah I do. It's how I derail topics! :D
---
Can I put my Onix in your Cloyster? Yes: 4 No: 4 Maybe: 2
The Sapphire Carbuncle: Why I'm proud to be a brony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyYTKbC6tbw
#53jwolfe340Posted 1/2/2013 2:54:55 PM
I have to say, I quite agree with the TC. He raises valid points, but the rest of you seem to think this is a joke. Let's analyze what I believe to be the worst designs from each generation and what I believe to be the best.

Let's start with the best, shall we?
1. Nidoking. While others might not agree, look at this thing. He's an absolute behemoth, which is exactly what he was intended to be. He also divorces himself well from any discernible influence. Many Pokemon are influenced by animals. While the Nidorans might be, Nidoking is his own beast.

2. Gligar. I'm sure others will disagree, but I think this thing is absolutely adorable, and very aesthetically pleasing. The detail in his design draws well from its inspiration. It looks like a very imaginative flying scorpion, complete with tail and gliding wings. It would look ridiculous with feather wings.

3. Castform. Say what you will about the little guy and his gimmicks, but he's really a perfect addition to the game. The game introduced a multitude of new game mechanics, and by far the most prominent was abilities. His base design is very simple, but it lets you know that he will be malleable. His other forms are much more active and imaginative. My favorite is the Snowy form. His design complimented the nature of the game, which was a good idea on the part of the designers.

4. Bronzong. Bronzong is a really cool guy. His design is awesome, and he has certain nuances that make it better. His inspiration was a bell. A bell for god's sake, but they made it into something pretty epic. You have to hand it to the designers, the design for Bronzong is pretty epic, and the diverse nature of its stats and movepool make it all the better.

5. I gotta be honest. I'm a bit hard pressed to choose this one. I don't particularly like 5th Gen very much. However, to be fair, it does have some great designs. I choose Cofagrigus as an example. Look at this thing. It's terrifying, and simplistic all at once. Just looking at it should be enough to inspire terror in young children, and I believe it sticks true to that design.

Now the worst.
1. I must say, I'm hard pressed to find this too. All of the Pokemon here are great. However, there are some that are worse than others, and I believe Weedle is the prime example. It's just ugly and unappealing, not to mention the fact that it's essentially a second Caterpie.

2. Sunkern. Must I really say that much? Sunkern is a seed. While the colors add diversity to it, it really isn't much to look at. It's meant to be a seed, sure, but could they not have done more with it?

3. Gen 3 has quite a few that I find to be unimaginative and uninspired. I suppose the best example would be Plusle and Minun. Why are there 2 of them? I just don't understand. I know I complimented Castform earlier for showing off the new game mechanics, but these two are really unnecessary. They were meant to exhibit the capabilities of double battles, but otherwise, they're just inferior Pikachu clones. They can't function separately, and they share a poor design. They really should have just been one Pokemon, with the color and ability changing with gender.

4. Finneon. Do we need another fish? Really GameFreak? Another ****ing fish?!?! The idea at this point has been done to death. Also, it's design, while colorful, does little to distinguish it from others. Goldeen's design is much more aesthetically pleasing and draws the eye much more effectively.

5. Maractus. We already have Cacnea and Cacturne. They were really just recycling an idea here, and I don't appreciate that. They could have been more creative with the cactus idea, like they did with the other 2. Maractus is just... there. It doesn't distinguish itself.

I know this analysis does little to prove my point, but I happen to believe that the worst from any Gen after 1st are much worse than Gen 1. They all have good designs, they just had fewer in later Gens.
#54Ender_DelphikiPosted 1/2/2013 2:58:12 PM
This description, whether copied or typed out here, is really light on the second generation. The idea of the original design and artwork works against talking about the "original 150(1)" because hey, I watched the anime, who do we see in the first episode but ho-oh? Togepi is thrown in, the game worlds overlap and become one in gold and silver. I think the problem is that they had a 2 generation design plan, but were too popular to stop there. Whatever credit the later pokemon or games have, you can tell that they had to go back and start designing different things, a new world. People disliking it is due to that disjointed feeling of a new creative train of thought in the same creative world.
#55Carbuncle009Posted 1/2/2013 3:01:33 PM
jwolfe340 posted...
5. Maractus. We already have Cacnea and Cacturne. They were really just recycling an idea here, and I don't appreciate that. They could have been more creative with the cactus idea, like they did with the other 2. Maractus is just... there. It doesn't distinguish itself.

Thank you for not putting Vanilluxe there.
No, quite honestly, thank you. I've had enough Endgame Trolling to last me a lifetime, I didn't need any more aftershocks.
---
Can I put my Onix in your Cloyster? Yes: 4 No: 4 Maybe: 2
The Sapphire Carbuncle: Why I'm proud to be a brony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyYTKbC6tbw
#56MetuaPosted 1/2/2013 3:02:30 PM
*must resist urge to parrot*
---
http://i.imgur.com/yKMR7.png
Mah board: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/588907-bomberman-93
#57FRo3tBLo0dPosted 1/2/2013 3:08:42 PM
Not reading all of that but I agree. For me personally the original 151 will always be the best.
#58SopherooPosted 1/2/2013 3:09:09 PM
Gen I had some amazing pokémon.

Someone said Parasect was not original and I disagree with this one, as I find things like parasitic fungus to be quite original. The execution is a little lackluster but just the concept behind it is great.

And then, there are things like Pidgeotto/Pîdgeot, Grimer/Muk, Voltorb/Electrode, even Growlithe/Arcanine... where it's the same thing, only bigger. And, all generations were guilty of having great, original pokemon and...not so great ones.

Gen I wasn't the best, I'm going to agree with the guys that said Gen III had overall the most interesting ideas. Even Gen IV wasn't so bad, aside from things like Finneon.
#59TyranidomegaPosted 1/2/2013 3:32:19 PM
toomanymouths posted...
TC, whether or not you're trolling, I 100% agree with your opening post and have been saying this same thing for years now....

Thank you for posting this.

I don't understand why others can't/won't see this.

Because some people aren't stingy and just want to enjoy damn Pokemon. In the end, it's all just subjective dribble because so long as someone likes the Pokemon, it won't matter or change that person's opinion. Some favorites of mine from the 5th Generation include Hydreigon, Volcarona and Braviary. One's a 3-headed demon hydra, the other's a solar deity atlas moth, and the final is just an awesome looking eagle. I'm sure someone who doesn't like these will try to convince me that they look bad and why, but it's my preference that they look awesome, and someone writing a 50 page essay on why they have bad designs and I should feel bad for liking them isn't going to change that.
---
Official hot fudge sundae of the IDF
Official Hydreigon of the Pokemon B/W 2 Boards.
#60turkishticklerPosted 1/2/2013 3:52:39 PM
Well thought out post, and yet is followed by responses:

"I like the new ones better, my opinion is different than yours, making you a troll."

"TL;DR. I have the attention span of a springer spaniel with ADHD"

Why post at all if you are going to respond that way? It does not further the conversation in any way other than to take up space.

Back on topic. I have to agree. Some of the new creatures do look good but usually they are few and far between. A lot of them just seem like a lack of effort. Some creatures look like some guy just put eyes on a lamp and you shall be called lampy.