This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it still possible to plow through the game with just your starter?

#1EternalNetherPosted 1/2/2013 11:11:36 AM
I haven't played Black and Black 2 yet, but I was just curious about this. Back when Pokemon Red came out I was around 10 or 11. I remember playing it and beating it 3 different times, using ONLY my starter pokemon. So I beat it once each with just Blastoise, Charizard, and Bulbasaur (I miss those guys) and never bothered to catch many others except for the use of HMs and a legendary bird as backup in case my main was knocked out.

It was pretty easy, truth be told. But after Gen 2 came out I started playing with a full team of whatever I chose and raising them all. With Black and Black 2, I'm going to play like I always do, but after I beat it once or twice, I was considering trying again to just beat the game using only my starter Pokemon.

Also, in Black 2 is it still set up so that you can't use or see any of the old Pokemon from previous generations until after you've beaten the game?
#2CM_PonchPosted 1/2/2013 11:12:55 AM
You probably can, but depending on your starter's typing, enemies with sturdy can do some damage.
---
KingRohitVerma has the best wang in the universe
http://i.imgur.com/tIG7b.png
#3overmaxxPosted 1/2/2013 11:19:01 AM(edited)
It's way harder now, due to the new experience curve.

But yeah it's possible, Audinos are your friend.

EDIT: Also, Black 2 and White 2 have Pokemon from all regions right from the start. It has the best wild variety in the entire series. The game is amazing.
#4protobakurionPosted 1/2/2013 11:19:43 AM
You can get Pokemon from previous Generations at the start of Black 2 and White 2.
---
---
The Official Porygon Z of the B2/W2 boards
#5EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 11:28:23 AM
What's their explanation for that? It's the same region from Black 1, just a few years later. What changed (no spoilers if there are any)? Or is there just no explanation for it?

Also, I'm really wanting to play through Black, then Black 2, but people keep telling me there is no point. Is that true? It feels like Black 1 would familiarize me with the Unova region and trainer Black (whom I hear returns in this one) as well as give me a chance to get familiar with JUST Unova's Pokemon without the others from prior games mixed in there as well.

Thoughts?
#6infinitexxPosted 1/2/2013 11:30:23 AM
I think they might mention available pokemon changing in in the time that has gone since B/W in passing, but there's no real explanation, they're just there. That is fine by me.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#7Mystery_CooperPosted 1/2/2013 11:36:48 AM
Pokemon from other regions were in Unova already in Black/White, but mostly secluded to eastern Unova (exceptions beings swarms, Super Rod, etc). They probably just spread out more over the 2 year gap.

Honestly, the whole "Unova only has Unova pokemon" line I recall GF saying only applies to the main story for B/W. Afterward, they just throw old gen pokemon at your face constantly.
---
Brawl was released a year ago and it does everyone Melee does but better. - LunaOrngeCrush5
#8EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 11:37:51 AM
So what do you guys think? Buy Black first, then Black 2? Or buy Black 2, play it, and if I love it enough, go back to Black 1 just for the hell of it?
#9overmaxxPosted 1/2/2013 1:16:43 PM
EternalNether posted...
So what do you guys think? Buy Black first, then Black 2? Or buy Black 2, play it, and if I love it enough, go back to Black 1 just for the hell of it?

If you are going to get one, get Black 2.
If you are going to get two, get Black 1 and then Black 2.

Easy.
#10FratellolupoPosted 1/2/2013 1:19:36 PM
Definitely. I mean after you get the lucky egg there is very little stopping you.
You can get to level 90 by the ime you reach the elite 4 without the need for audino grinding.
---
White 2 FC: 0648 3913 3611