This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hopefully they dont let us trade from older games into X/Y.

#101HozuPosted 1/10/2013 6:16:24 PM
Took a lot longer than it would have with such a device. Since people had to make their own one that works, after figuring it all out. No game company would purposely make a device that could enable easier access to piracy.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qCo47.png
#102ZarethKnyghtPosted 1/10/2013 6:20:25 PM
And...you're missing the point while you're inside your box again. Who said anything about them making it so it's easier for pirates or anything? That's like saying gaming consoles shouldn't be made at all since they can get hacked. That's pretty much what you're saying I hope you know.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 4256 2465 9359
#103Arn544Posted 1/10/2013 6:25:39 PM
Do you believe for a second that the pokemon franchise was worried about piracy 10 years ago? Pokemon wasn't a series then that adults played because they grew up with it, pokemon was played by children. Weren't a lot of 8 year old pirates out there.

Also wouldn't have been expensive to make either, probably would have paid for itself. Heck I remember pokemon was so popular that when burgerking had their first campaign offering pokemon toys that you couldn't eat there for months... I remember seeing cars backed into the streets and causing traffic jams.
#104Cat333PokemonPosted 1/10/2013 6:25:45 PM
For curiosity, let's consider this. I have a dumped save file from Pokémon Silver that I captured through the GameShark many years back. Has anyone even developed a tool that extracts Pokémon data from any kind of Game Boy save? If I could see that data, perhaps I could translate it to a partially "legit" hacked Pokémon in a future game, thereby bridging the Gen II/III gap.

Regarding the GTS, how about they just remove it entirely? Seriously, it's horrible. So many people ask for level 9 Zekrom, so why bother? I know the purpose of it is to complete the Pokédex, but a lot of folks can just ask for the remaining Pokémon on forums like this one.
---
Am I a cat, or am I a Zoroark?
A Pokemon Oekaki: http://pokekaki.com | Black 2: 2151-5975-6240
#105HozuPosted 1/10/2013 6:30:06 PM(edited)
I'm thinking the way a business would think - with logic. It goes against all reason to make it easier for people to steal your product and share it over the internet.

Then again there was an English Sapphire ROM leak before the game was even released, though they modified the ROM so... Obviously the piracy issue existed. Only a few people could dump a ROM instead of potentially everybody who can download a software program.
---
#106ZarethKnyghtPosted 1/10/2013 6:30:23 PM
Arn544 posted...
Do you believe for a second that the pokemon franchise was worried about piracy 10 years ago? Pokemon wasn't a series then that adults played because they grew up with it, pokemon was played by children. Weren't a lot of 8 year old pirates out there.

Also wouldn't have been expensive to make either, probably would have paid for itself. Heck I remember pokemon was so popular that when burgerking had their first campaign offering pokemon toys that you couldn't eat there for months... I remember seeing cars backed into the streets and causing traffic jams.

That's an interesting point.

Not to mention that just because people do pirate doesn't mean that people who won't use it to pirate doesn't exist either. I would love to be able to raise a Mewtwo again in a legitimate way but I don't want to pay another $40 just to do it.

Another note, the data didn't need to be transferred through a PC. Nintendo had other means to do it too. They already used that technology too in a different way.
---
#107HozuPosted 1/10/2013 6:36:02 PM(edited)
Again, more hardware = more time spent researching it, then putting it into production, then figuring out how to transfer the data (how it gets changed). All for what exactly again? Oh for something that didn't matter enough for people to not buy the game. Right.
---
#108ZarethKnyghtPosted 1/10/2013 6:36:49 PM
Hozu posted...
Again, more hardware = more time spent researching it, then putting it into production, then figuring out how to transfer the data (how it gets changed). All for what exactly again?

OK, since you still don't seem to get it. I'll give you a hint that should make it obvious on how they could've made a transfer. Pokemon Stadium.

If you don't get it after this, forget it. You're too far stuck inside the box.
---
#109Arn544Posted 1/10/2013 6:39:59 PM
Hozu posted...
Again, more hardware = more time spent researching it, then putting it into production, then figuring out how to transfer the data (how it gets changed). All for what exactly again?

They had multiple link cables, a cable is not that hard to make. All they would have needed was a link cable that had a usb plug at one end. Would have been laughably easy to make.

That pack for the N64 controller that connected your game to the controller was 10x more complicated to make than that would have been.

The point is they could have easily done it and it would not have cost them anything, might have even profited from it. The bottom line was that they didn't want to do it.
#110HozuPosted 1/10/2013 6:44:14 PM
Arn544 posted...
Hozu posted...

They had multiple link cables, a cable is not that hard to make. All they would have needed was a link cable that had a usb plug at one end. Would have been laughably easy to make.

That pack for the N64 controller that connected your game to the controller was 10x more complicated to make than that would have been.

The point is they could have easily done it and it would not have cost them anything, might have even profited from it. The bottom line was that they didn't want to do it.

Piracy/cheat device enabler. Considering that Emerald was updated to repeatedly shuffle around memory addresses, and they added specific flags for event mons to disobey unless legitimately obtained it's clear that they would never had made such a device.

Also why would I buy a Gamecube and a GC game just to transfer my mons from second gen? That's quite expensive don't you think?
---