This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hopefully they dont let us trade from older games into X/Y.

#41Amazing AmpharosPosted 1/8/2013 2:49:57 PM
I agree with the topic creator strongly. We see plenty of old Pokemon in the trailer, including some really random ones that would not be most people's first choice to return (looking at you Golurk). It's probably safe to say that the new games are flush in old Pokemon, but the main question is whether they allow transfers and I sure hope not.

The main reason I hope not is that for the good of the game they really are overdue for some serious mechanical changes, on the level of gen 2 to gen 3 if not even greater. Breeding as implemented is stupid and overwhelmingly grindy, and the EV system as currently implemented favors offense too much (one solution may be raising the EV cap to 765, making it almost always right to put at least some EVs into defensive stats, but even better would probably be just completely overhauling internal stat calculation to a more interesting system of which there are a great number of possibilities). Tons of Pokemon need complete overhauls statistically, ability wise, and movepool wise. Some Pokemon could do with nerfs in the form of just plain learning fewer moves, and while you could make transfers force forget moves that they couldn't acquire in gen 6 by itself, it's going to be ham-fisted. Transfers in general basically guarantee similar mechanics to previous generations and probably also guarantee a continuation of the really poor balance we've come to expect from Pokemon in which something like 80% of fully evolved Pokemon are just patently useless.

Transfering itself is also really cumbersome even as it stands, and adding an additional generation is only going to make it worse. In general the most important thing is having Pokemon back in gen 3 since the only truly accessible cloning glitch is Emerald cloning (things like gts cloning are really unreliable, and if you are honest about it, most clones not from Emerald are just hacks made to be identical to currently existing Pokemon). Then you clone those Pokemon a ton, which is really time consuming, and then you transfer to gen 4 with the really stupid and time consuming Pokepark mechanics which require you to abuse a further glitch with clock settings to do more than six a day though either way even finding those six takes forever. Then you do yet another really slow and tedious transfer process to import those Pokemon from gen 4 to gen 5, and now from there you're expecting us to do this again for gen 5 to gen 6? No, enough is enough. Let's just use what we get in gen 6 and leave this hours long process of bringing in our old backlog behind. Make things like breeding radically less tedious and don't include any stupid mechanics like the dream world that are just designed to waste the player's time, and it will actually be faster to fill the Pokedex and train a good team than it would be with allowed transfers. Sure personally I would even come up behind as my legit event Mew and Celebi on Emerald (as well as my access to the Jirachi bonus disc) always gave me infinite trade fodder for online to get whatever I wanted easily, but it's for the greater good and I support it.
---
Pokemon White Friend Code: 4641 8955 0950
#42nessonett106Posted 1/8/2013 2:55:00 PM
LazorFist posted...
I wouldn't want to get rid of Stealth Rock entirely. Just nerf it by reducing the damage output, allowing all rock types or creating an ability to absorb it like Toxic Spikes, or even creating a powerful Dark or Ghost type spinner. Also, we would like to keep our hard earned Pokemon and shinies.

Oh god. I can see it now. ICE ROCK
---
MH3 Name: Marty . . . . EU servers . . . .
#43ClassyOldHatPosted 1/8/2013 2:58:34 PM
MileRun posted...
I'd like for this too.

Remember, everybody: We never would have gotten abilities if it weren't for that cutoff between Generations II and III. Same deal with the arguably better stat system we have now (Natures are great, the EV system got better, genders and shinies are now IV-independent). Pokemon gameplay will not be able to change and streamline further if you keep selfishly holding on to your old shiny Mewtwos and whatnot else.

Your Pokemon aren't just going to disappear because you can't transfer them over. You'll still have them on your Generation V cartridges.

I'm sick of having to say stuff like this, so I'll just quote myself.

Guys, you don't need to cut off backwards compatibility to add new mechanics, change base stats, or anything like that.

Gold and Silver allowed backwards compatibility despite changing all Pokemon's base Special stats, adding genders, and new types.

The only things that might not transfer so easily if changed are the EV/IV systems, and even then, depending on HOW they're changed, it wouldn't likely be a huge obstacle. For example, if they decided to cut the IVs from 0-31 to 0-15, we could just halve the IVs of a Pokemon being transferred in.

Seriously, hardware problems were the only things preventing transfer. While I can understand this thinking regarding things like the EV system, saying we would never have had natures or Abilities if backwards compatibility was removed is just absurd.

You know what also happened the last time backwards compatibility was cut off? To complete a Pokedex, you need five GBA games and two Gamecube games?
#44jayman7Posted 1/8/2013 2:59:11 PM
I facepalm every single time I read someone who says we should punish all the players who tried to legitimately finish their Pokedex - like me! - because of the actions of hackers, cheaters, and exploiters. I finished my BW2 Pokedex save Meloetta, 100% legit, and since there's no hardware problem like there was in the third gen, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to transfer them on to Pokemon Y.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#45MetaFalconPunchPosted 1/8/2013 3:00:46 PM
this, this, this!
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead. Official Jolteon of the Eevee Corps.
Kraid: (steps on you)
#46bdavis93Posted 1/8/2013 4:08:32 PM
It's not impossible for them to maintain importing and wipe IV's from the game.
#47KapuxaPosted 1/8/2013 4:14:48 PM
Hell no! The main reason I still play 3 and 4 gen is that I can later pass the mons and use them in the most recent Gen...otherwise it would be just playing for playing,
I want to be able to use my pokes I hardly trained(legit 100%) in the new games Battle "something"
#48neutralguardPosted 1/8/2013 4:17:55 PM
If you want a fresh start, then don't trade your Pokemon over. It's as simple as that.
---
[Black 2: 4771 5259 3496] [Black: 4384 4628 8785]
[SS: 0045 6389 6365] [Platinum: 0990 0599 8847]
#49SopherooPosted 1/8/2013 4:18:49 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
MileRun posted...
I'd like for this too.

Remember, everybody: We never would have gotten abilities if it weren't for that cutoff between Generations II and III. Same deal with the arguably better stat system we have now (Natures are great, the EV system got better, genders and shinies are now IV-independent). Pokemon gameplay will not be able to change and streamline further if you keep selfishly holding on to your old shiny Mewtwos and whatnot else.

Your Pokemon aren't just going to disappear because you can't transfer them over. You'll still have them on your Generation V cartridges.

I'm sick of having to say stuff like this, so I'll just quote myself.

Guys, you don't need to cut off backwards compatibility to add new mechanics, change base stats, or anything like that.

Gold and Silver allowed backwards compatibility despite changing all Pokemon's base Special stats, adding genders, and new types.

The only things that might not transfer so easily if changed are the EV/IV systems, and even then, depending on HOW they're changed, it wouldn't likely be a huge obstacle. For example, if they decided to cut the IVs from 0-31 to 0-15, we could just halve the IVs of a Pokemon being transferred in.

Seriously, hardware problems were the only things preventing transfer. While I can understand this thinking regarding things like the EV system, saying we would never have had natures or Abilities if backwards compatibility was removed is just absurd.

You know what also happened the last time backwards compatibility was cut off? To complete a Pokedex, you need five GBA games and two Gamecube games?

This was awesomely worded. + 5 cookies for you.
#50Arn544Posted 1/8/2013 4:23:52 PM
Gastroid posted...
The 3DS and DS are compatible, so it would be a dick move. It's not like the Color and Advance that were incompatible on a hardware level.

Wait... It's been like 10 years but i would've sworn there was a cable that let you trade from gbc to advance? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought for sure I had my mewtwo on sapphire.