This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Quick Starter Question

#1MoegittoPosted 1/13/2013 10:20:31 PM
I was heavy into Pokemon Red in High School, then tried Silver and I forgot all about it, lol. I just bought this and was wondering what would be a good starting pokemon for someone like me to get back into the series? I'm not trying to start in beast mode really, but I want someone that will be able to handle the field battles OK until I get my team built up. Thanks!
---
Everyone on GameFaqs pretty much is a troll. This site honestly has the WORST user base I have ever seen. -Tuggboat1121
#2sonofcasbahPosted 1/13/2013 10:35:52 PM
any of them are good enough to get through the game.

just choose which one you like best.
---
PSN: SonOfCasbah
W2 FC: 0218-8783-2025
#3coreekymonPosted 1/13/2013 11:13:32 PM(edited)
really any of the three starters are going to be okay. The first gym is normal type so none of them have an advantage or disadvantage there and they can all take out the random encounters up to that point. The second gym is poison so Snivy would have a slight disadvantage there, but you will have had time to catch some other pokemon by then.

If you're really worried about it catch a Rioulu at Floccesy Ranch, he is fighting and will have an advantage against the normal types of the first gym. Then catch a magnemite at Virbank Complex who is steel and so immune to the poison types of the second gym.
---
My Pokemon guide: pkmntrainercory.blogspot.com Check it out!
Shinji X Asuka is the most sacred pairing in all of anime. That is an unnegotiable fact.
#4shiningpikablu252Posted 1/13/2013 10:56:29 PM
Here's where each of the starters would start to run into a bit of trouble:

Snivy: Second gym has an outright type advantage over it; the gym's type is super-effective against Snivy and Snivy is not very effective against that type.

Tepig: Fourth gym may give you some trouble, since a Pokémon there has a secondary Flying type, which is super-effective against Tepig's evolutions. Fifth gym would be a more definite trouble spot, since that gym's type is super-effective against Tepig's entire line...

Oshawott: Some third-gym Pokémon have a secondary typing of Grass which could give this line trouble. More definite trouble awaits at the fourth gym, however, as that gym's primary type is super-effective against Oshawott's line...

Also, if you're wondering how it stacks up in Black/White 1, all starters have trouble at the first gym since the preference type depends on your starter. Snivy and Oshawott tend to have troubles at the third gym (Snivy on primary, Oshawott against the secondary Grasses), while Tepig's troubles begin at number four...

(Oh, and if anybody's thinking of bringing any essays into this, you're going to lose me at "Quick", so don't even bother...)
---
I am a die hard Pokemon fan to the most, including the traditional hate of Yu-Gi-Oh.
#512345_pwnedPosted 1/13/2013 10:58:08 PM
I honestly wouldn't recommend Tepig, because when it evolves and becomes fighting type, It only learns one fighting move which is arm thrust. Nothing after unless you get a TM (brick break, low sweep, etc) but I don't remember getting those before the E4. Plus it's slow. But it learns a lot of strong recoil moves of different types (Flare Blitz, Head smash, wild charge) later on as emboar though, and with it's high attack, it'll do good. But as I said, no fighting moves. Which basically makes it a fire pokemon with fighting weaknesses. Arm thrust is too much of a gamble which could get you killed sometimes. But then again, it's just in-game..

So just choose whichever you want, lol.
---
#6Moegitto(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 11:07:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies, looks like Osh will be my choice. I hope this game has psyduck, he was my weird favorite back in the day lol.
---
Everyone on GameFaqs pretty much is a troll. This site honestly has the WORST user base I have ever seen. -Tuggboat1121
#7coreekymonPosted 1/13/2013 11:12:43 PM(edited)
Moegitto posted...
Thanks for all the replies, looks like Osh will be my choice. I hope this game has psyduck, he was my weird favorite back in the day lol.

Actually yes you can find him very early on at that Floccesy Ranch
---
My Pokemon guide: pkmntrainercory.blogspot.com Check it out!
Shinji X Asuka is the most sacred pairing in all of anime. That is an unnegotiable fact.
#8shiningpikablu252Posted 1/13/2013 11:11:05 PM
Moegitto posted...
I hope this game has psyduck, he was my weird favorite back in the day lol.

Floccesy Ranch, 10% chance in the grasses when not in a shaking spot. Always level 5 when encountered...
---
I am a die hard Pokemon fan to the most, including the traditional hate of Yu-Gi-Oh.