This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

*For people who know about competitive* Should I get this game?

#1Infectedglore2Posted 1/15/2013 1:16:37 AM
With Gen 6 right around the corner I'm wondering if I should get these two sequels. Are they significantly better and improved from the original? I know about the difference in story, but what about music? Gameplay changes? And my biggest question is are EV training Pokemon any easier? How did the competitive fare from the original Black and White? Do you think People are still going to play 5th gen competitive even when 6th gen comes out?
#2DKU_ArichPosted 1/15/2013 3:43:37 AM
Are they significantly better and improved from the original?

For the most part, I think so.

However, in ways I can't explain coherently, I felt really uncomfortable for the first time in a Pokemon game... some parts just felt like they were forcing you to do things you didn't want to. An example includes mandatory participatings in a new videoshoot-thingy and a Pokemon tournament (as in, the game won't even let you leave the area unless you do them). I just got this really uneasy feeling of "I don't want to do this.... get me out of here...."

A task in Castelia City gave me similar feelings. A dude won't let you go anywhere unless you visit 3 buildings and talk to 3 dudes in the buildings. Lots of repetitive actions, doing the same thing three or so times, got a little tiring in my opinion considering Castelia is huge and it's time-consuming to find the 3 places to begin with.

Also, the game is very linear in the sense that most places are blocked off until you do what the game wants you to do... some people might not find it to be a big deal, but I really enjoy the whole 'trial and error' aspect of a game and got annoyed, for example, that random people were dancing in front of a route transition so you couldn't pass. I noticed this in past games but not to this extreme.

Also, there are more triple/rotation battles... they seem to pop up fairly frequently (definitely not all the time, but more often than I remembered them being in Black). I'm personally not a fan of 'em.

In general though, these sequels are pretty amazing. If you liked Black/White I'd say you should check them out. Well worth it aside of the above issues (which aren't even considered issues to some people, I'm sure).

I know about the difference in story, but what about music?

The music seems to be a decent balance between old and new (recurring routes/towns you've been to in the past have the original B/W music whereas newer areas have new tunes). Gym music has same melody as you know and love yet is varied depending on the gym (for example, the bug gym is pretty eerie and interesting with music to match). It's pretty cool.

Gameplay changes?

Biggest one I've noticed is the game asks you if you want to use another Repel when one runs out. Makes going through stuff much easier.

The wild Pokemon rate has seemingly dropped. I've Audino farmed quite a lot and in all of the cases I've ran across grass to get to shaky grass I've never set off an encounter. In Black, I would have to literally close my eyes even running across 2 tiles of grass hoping I didn't run into another Pokemon.

Breeders can be battled infinitely. I first noticed this on Route 4 (the desert one)... at first I was like "oh, I thought I battled this trainer" and let it slide. But then when it happened a 3rd and 4th time I was like "seriously?" Thought it was a glitch 'til a search on here proved otherwise :P

And my biggest question is are EV training Pokemon any easier?

I'd say it's about the same as before. Some places have an 100% encounter rate for lone Pokemon species so I'd imagine it's just as easy as before. Litwicks in Celestial Tower are a good example (1 Sp. Atk each? Yes please!)
#3Infectedglore2(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 3:52:34 AM
DKU_Arich posted...

I know about the difference in story, but what about music?

The music seems to be a decent balance between old and new (recurring routes/towns you've been to in the past have the original B/W music whereas newer areas have new tunes). Gym music has same melody as you know and love yet is varied depending on the gym (for example, the bug gym is pretty eerie and interesting with music to match). It's pretty cool.

Gameplay changes?

Biggest one I've noticed is the game asks you if you want to use another Repel when one runs out. Makes going through stuff much easier.

The wild Pokemon rate has seemingly dropped. I've Audino farmed quite a lot and in all of the cases I've ran across grass to get to shaky grass I've never set off an encounter. In Black, I would have to literally close my eyes even running across 2 tiles of grass hoping I didn't run into another Pokemon.

Breeders can be battled infinitely. I first noticed this on Route 4 (the desert one)... at first I was like "oh, I thought I battled this trainer" and let it slide. But then when it happened a 3rd and 4th time I was like "seriously?" Thought it was a glitch 'til a search on here proved otherwise :P

And my biggest question is are EV training Pokemon any easier?

I'd say it's about the same as before. Some places have an 100% encounter rate for lone Pokemon species so I'd imagine it's just as easy as before. Litwicks in Celestial Tower are a good example (1 Sp. Atk each? Yes please!)

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback! So I have a final question, which version to get? I got Pokemon White and really enjoyed it (I started over though to get another Victini, trading all my Pokemon to a friend and intended to trade it back but he sold the game...).

I enjoy the "new city" kind of thing more than the "old woods" more. Are there any other notable differences? Also I wished there was a Vs. seeker in Black and White. Did it get added?

The linear thing does seem a bit boring but I'm getting ready for Gen 6 anyways so I might as well have it linear lol. The musical features sound really interesting but my main cup of tea is with boss themes, I know the new champion has a much better theme than Alder. Hmm, the wild Pokemon thing might be bad for hunting a Pokemon but it doesn't sound too bad overall, are the shaking grass mechanics the same? (Running back and forth)

Thanks for the information again!