This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tri-Attack Togekiss question(s)

#1themediumonePosted 1/18/2013 1:35:49 AM
So... I'm going to eventually EV train a Togekiss, and I would very much like Tri-Attack to go along with it's Serene Grace ability. Now from what I understand, in order to get an Tri-Attack Togekiss, I have to get it from Pokemon XD on Gamecube, which I'm ok with since I literally just bought the game a few days ago.

Here's the real question: When you get it, is it male? If so, will I be able to pass it down if I breed it? I'd really like to get it with a specific nature to go with Serene Grace.
---
Black 2 FC: 4857-4296-2439
#2CharizardFirePosted 1/18/2013 1:41:56 AM(edited)
When you get it, is it male?

It's random.

If so, will I be able to pass it down if I breed it?

No, it won't work.

I'd really like to get it with a specific nature to go with Serene Grace.

You can reset for the nature (it's a gift). However, you shouldn't bother trying for a specific ability. Apparently, Pokémon from Pokémon XD will randomly get the opposite ability when evolving in Gen 4/5 (with a 50% chance of this occurring).
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
The official Charizard of the Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 boards.
#3themediumone(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 1:47:23 AM
That is the worst news I've ever received involving a Pokemon game. It makes my heart ache.

If only it was as simple as Smogon initially leads you to believe... almost everyone would be using a Togekiss. STAB Tri-Attack and STAB Air Slash would be a terrifying combo if you could baton pass in from a Calm Mind or get off a clean Nasty Plot.
---
#4themediumone(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 1:51:09 AM
Going back to that last part, though. Do you know if saving before I evolve it would matter? Or could soft-resetting give different results? Do you think it's pre-determined that the ability would become *this*? Like how when an egg is received it's nature/ability are already set before hatching.
---
#5AbramelinPosted 1/18/2013 1:59:59 AM
Well, considering that you seem pretty committed to this idea, here's an idea.

>Gather materials for raising happiness quickly
>Import
>Get gift. If nature is wrong, reset.
>Raise happiness (Lots of vitamins may work? http://www.serebii.net/games/happiness.shtml)
>Evolve with rare candy (or a simple battle, but remember to track EVs)
>Evolve with shiny stone

If it still knows Tri-Attack and has Serene Grace at this point, start passing it up. If not, return to step one.
---
Opinions are immunity to being told you're wrong.
"I AM SO ANGRY MY PERIODS ARE CAPITALIZED> " - DurpDurpDurp
#6themediumone(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 2:05:31 AM
Abramelin posted...
Well, considering that you seem pretty committed to this idea, here's an idea.

>Gather materials for raising happiness quickly
>Import
>Get gift. If nature is wrong, reset.
>Raise happiness (Lots of vitamins may work? http://www.serebii.net/games/happiness.shtml)
>Evolve with rare candy (or a simple battle, but remember to track EVs)
>Evolve with shiny stone

If it still knows Tri-Attack and has Serene Grace at this point, start passing it up. If not, return to step one.

Which game do I have to receive the gift in? Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald? And if I'm gathering what you're saying correctly... you mean get everything I'll need to increase happiness/EV train before I receive the gift?
---
#7shadowreaper7Posted 1/18/2013 3:12:11 AM
Getting a Tri-attack Togekiss is a royal pain in the buttocks.

The Nature is completely random as the variation will occur in 4th Gen when its exposed to a shiny stone. It isn't guarenteed to change however.
Also you cannot tell the nature (accurately) untill you use about 12 or so Excite scents (or vivid, whatevers best) as this should usually put Togepi into the 3rd bar (to see the nature) if its timid (which is arguably the better nature along with Bold/Calm and Modest).

Furthermore, you get once chance at making sure the togepi gets the right ability as although you can SR for nature. You have to complete the game before you can trade, and so that involves saving meaning the togepi is then set.

If in doubt, i do have a spare Timid Tri-attack Togepi which is on my emerald i can clone.
---
Black FC: 2666-8397-4718
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#8KapuxaPosted 1/18/2013 4:46:39 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9themediumone(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 4:53:43 AM
shadowreaper7 posted...
Getting a Tri-attack Togekiss is a royal pain in the buttocks.

The Nature is completely random as the variation will occur in 4th Gen when its exposed to a shiny stone. It isn't guarenteed to change however.
Also you cannot tell the nature (accurately) untill you use about 12 or so Excite scents (or vivid, whatevers best) as this should usually put Togepi into the 3rd bar (to see the nature) if its timid (which is arguably the better nature along with Bold/Calm and Modest).

Furthermore, you get once chance at making sure the togepi gets the right ability as although you can SR for nature. You have to complete the game before you can trade, and so that involves saving meaning the togepi is then set.

If in doubt, i do have a spare Timid Tri-attack Togepi which is on my emerald i can clone.

GameFreak are a bunch of maniacal jerkoffs, I tell you. Why must they make things so difficult? Lol I'm starting to like the cloning idea... But really only if I can manage to get serene grace. Otherwise, tri-attack is almost pointless.
---
#10themediumone(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 4:59:16 AM
Another thought: I learned earlier that Spore is not an "egg move" for Shroomish. Yet, if both parents knew spore, the shroomish would hatch with spore. Tested that and it worked quite well. So I have Adamant, Technician, Spore Brelooms in my future.

Could that be possible in this scenario, also? If I have M & F Togetic/Togekiss with Tri-Attack, then maybe the move will pass down...
---