This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good choices for winning in PWT?

#1Deoxys_PrimePosted 1/20/2013 6:35:01 PM(edited)
I'm trying to pick a team prepared to handle pretty much everything that can be thrown at me. Here's what I have right now.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
252 Att, 252 Spe, 6 HP
Dragon Claw
Fire Punch
Roost
Dragon Dance

Lucario @ Expert Belt
Random EVs
Close Combat
Extremespeed
Shadow Claw
Swords Dance

Volcarona @ Something
Random EVs (and -SpA nature)
Bug Buzz
Heat Wave
TBD (Crappy move atm)
Quiver Dance

I think I need a really strong/safe lead (preferably something bulky.) I've been opening with Dragonite for now. The only thing it's OHKO'd by is STAB ice attacks from something with a decent base special attack. It has trouble setting up sometimes though. If Dragonite fails to sweep then the rest of my team usually falls to shambles (probably because they're just things I leveled during the game.)

Should I breed what I have and get good natures/EV train them? Should I pick something else to throw on my team? I was also thinking of running a sun team (I can breed a Drought Ninetales and can probably get a Chlorophyll Venusaur.)

As I said, I'm just looking for a safe lead. I posted a thread like this the other day, but I've given more information and I'm a little less specific about what I'm looking for.
---
Pokemon Black 2: 1206 8347 0149
#2joejones6Posted 1/20/2013 7:08:22 PM
i think u should breed a volcorona with a plus sp a nature, like modest
then ev train it
& youll be amazed by damage itll do compared to one with a minus sp a nature
---
Pokemon Black FC: 0046 9791 0983
#3protobakurionPosted 1/20/2013 7:08:45 PM
Why does Volcarona have a -SpA Nature?
---
---
The Official Shiny Chespin and Shiny Porygon Z of the Pokemon X/Y boards and Official Draconeon of the Eevee Corp.
#4EHeroHaneKuriboPosted 1/20/2013 7:13:08 PM
Why Lum Berry over Leftovers for Dragonite when you're not running Outrage? Seems sort of redundant.
#5DemiseEndPosted 1/20/2013 7:28:41 PM
Good Stuff:

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
252 Atk 252 Spe 6 SpA
Skill Link
Naive
Shell Smash
Icicle Spear
Rock Blast
Surf/Pump

Cloyster is, put simply almost a win button against many stuff in the PWT, especialy against those annoying Focus Sash user. Sash is needed to survive many stuff, the spread is for offense. Surf is consistent, but Pump power boost might be needed at times. In general, Surf is better if you want to kill Aggron in first touch

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk 252 Spe 6 Hp
Moxie
Adamant/Jolly
Close Combat
Megahorn
Shadow Claw
Rock Slide

Perhaps the best bug overall to use in PWT, thanks to its rather good SpD, decent speed, and... of course being the single most powerful Bug Type in terms of damage done. A Scarfed CC and Megahorn can kill so many stuff. Shadow Claw is for those Fragile Ghost trainers who otherwise is quite a problem. Rock Slide, while weak is for consistency against Gyara, SE is fine though, but the 80% acc miss is undesirable.

Heracross with Moxie can easilly sweep a team, and is so powerful it can deal against many stuff in PWT easilly. The problem lies with Focus Sash.

Scizor @ Choice Band
252 Atk 252 HP 6 Spe
Technician
Adamant
Bullet Punch
U-Turn
Superpower/Brick Break
Pursuit

While not as dangerous as Heracross, Scizor is still useful thanks to Bullet Punch and U-Turn, which can pull quite a lot in PWT against the proper opponent. Scizor is also less Sash weak, and has better general typing than Heracross, so that is a plus. Superpower is good for its power(stronger than Scarf Cross CC), but you need to switch after using it which can be a problem, which is why Brick Break is put in there in case you need a spammable fighting move.
Pursuit is a filler, but can be used against Jellicent

Dragon @ Any Offensive Item
252 Atk 252 Spe 6 Hp
Depends
Depends
Outrage
Depends
Depends
Depends

Really though, this slot is focused on those Dragons who can use Outrage effectively, by which i meant Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, and Kingdra.
Killing one-two pokemon > Switch a Dragon(or rotate, and you should play rotation in PWT anyway...., mainly because you need to risk one turn switching in singles, and switching dragons to ice is lol) > Outrage is an effective game plan since Steels are rather rare, and Outrage are world crushingly powerful

For Dragonite, it would be a Multi Scale with DD, Fire Punch, Outrage, and last move beetwen Dragon Claw, Roost or EQ with Leftovers(there is not enough trainer that uses status problem, but Lum Berry can be useful so....)

For Mence, i prefer Moxie Scarf with Outrage, Dragon Claw, EQ, and Fire Blast. Mixmence can work just because Draco Meteor is so powerful, it can be enough to net you the first KO for a moxie boost

Kingdra can use Chesto Rest, which is perhaps the most effective set for Kingdra. Kingdra is even more of a beast if you have Politoed, because nothing screams dangerous more than a 180 BP Waterfall spamming Kingdra. Alternatively, a Special Kingdra and Mix Kingdra with Draco Meteor can perform pretty well

Garchomp can use SD, Outrage, Earth Quake, and Dragon Claw/Fire Fang with Haban Berry, Yache Berry, Leftover, or Brightpowder. It can also use both Scarf and Choice Band effectively
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#6LykainPosted 1/20/2013 8:07:10 PM
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Multiscale
Adamant
8 HP / 248 Atk / 248 Spe
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Dragon Dance

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Skill Link
Adamant/Naive
8 HP or 8 SpA / 248 Atk / 248 Spe
Icicle Spear
Rock Blast
Razor Shell/Surf
Shell Smash

Garchomp @ Haban Berry
Rough Skin
Jolly
8 HP / 248 Atk / 248 Spe
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Swords Dance

I'm pretty sure this is the team a friend used, and it destroyed the whole PWT from beginning to end. Granted there could've been a little luck based on which leaders/champions he went up against, but nothing even looked like it might pose a threat.
#7Deoxys_Prime(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:50:19 PM
EHeroHaneKuribo posted...
Why Lum Berry over Leftovers for Dragonite when you're not running Outrage? Seems sort of redundant.

Had some nasty trouble with statuses in PWT so far. He eats a lot of Thunder Waves. I was running Leftovers, but the sheer quantity of statuses he was getting was getting on my nerves. He'll have Outrage in a few levels. His natural level is only 61 atm.

protobakurion posted...
Why does Volcarona have a -SpA Nature?
---

Been too lazy to breed another. I'll have a new one as soon as I get to breeding one. The moveset should also be better by then.

Skill Link Cloyster actually sounds really nice. I might also consider throwing Garchomp in (or I'll EV train a better Lucario.) Thanks for the advice guys.
---
#8SilverwyrmPosted 1/20/2013 11:15:08 PM
do rotation, ai is very easy to predict on roation
#9protobakurionPosted 1/20/2013 11:22:24 PM
=) no problem...
---
---
The Official Shiny Chespin and Shiny Porygon Z of the Pokemon X/Y boards and Official Draconeon of the Eevee Corp.
#10Deoxys_Prime(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 11:37:21 PM
One more question. If I make a new Volcarona, should I be aiming for a full on sweeper or should I run bulkier stats? I'm not looking for anything to dominate competitive play, just to breeze through PWT and maybe play a few casual games online.
---