This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

One big mistake I made for the VGC

#1loffterPosted 1/26/2013 1:09:38 PM
I played... respectfully? I dunno. I Read so much about Paralysis clauses and stuff that I followed them, and didnt use anything that could use those status ailments. I'm not even sure WHY at this point. I know in febuary I will be packing some sleep and para-pokes. I went against someone who paralyzed all my pokemon and thought "Oh yeah, I totally could have done that, huh?"

This has been a learning experience. I Wish I could withdraw my pokemon and start wifi battles.
---
Also, I can kill you with my brain. ~ River
*Black2 3311-3541-1257
#2Nightbird_XPosted 1/26/2013 1:14:14 PM
You need to read the rules. It states that those clauses aren't in effect.
---
I'm told I look a lot like Rory Macdonald - http://i46.tinypic.com/2eyf5sy.jpg
Set to WARNED status for being a Republican on 11/08/2012
#3loffter(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 1:18:50 PM(edited)
Nightbird_X posted...

No, I KNEW it, I just didn't... KNOW it, you know?

Like if you were to enter a Super Street Fighter 2 tournament, and the tournament rules did not say Akuma was banned, but you didnt practice with Akuma. It's like that.

Edit- I'm on a pokemon forum using analogies from street Fighter 2. I dont think... most people will understand in hindsight..

---
*Black2 3311-3541-1257
#4DarkBlueAntPosted 1/26/2013 1:33:05 PM
If you played Random Battle more often, you'd know that people don't obey those rules.

Honestly, Doubles is a pretty crappy format and I really wish they would use Triples. In Triples there's more strategy, less determined by randomness, and more ways to get around abusive tactics. If someone manages to put your whole team to sleep in Triples, they deserve a round of applause.
#5loffter(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 1:37:49 PM
DarkBlueAnt posted...
If you played Random Battle more often, you'd know that people don't obey those rules.

Honestly, Doubles is a pretty crappy format and I really wish they would use Triples. In Triples there's more strategy, less determined by randomness, and more ways to get around abusive tactics. If someone manages to put your whole team to sleep in Triples, they deserve a round of applause.

More like 3 rounds of encore

AMIRIGHT. Because sleep lasts for 3 turns... and...
---
*Black2 3311-3541-1257
#6Plasma EXEPosted 1/26/2013 2:06:00 PM
DarkBlueAnt posted...

Terrakion + beat-up is even worse in triples (+6 attack boost is incredibly OP). You can set it up easier with wide-guard or even use follow me. And rock-slide has a better chance of missing at least one other pokemon. It's more chaotic, but not in a good way.
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336
#7FirestormXVIPosted 1/26/2013 2:37:26 PM
Going to a tournament that doesn't explicitly ban Akuma and going to a tournament which doesn't ban random status moves isn't anything alike. If you don't have a team that can deal with status, that is a problem with your team-building. The rules on this haven't changed in 5 years and they aren't going to change now. Sorry man. Learn from your mistake and improve!
---
Webmaster, Nugget Bridge - I did my best. I have no regrets!
http://nuggetbridge.com - News, articles, interviews & videos from worlds best Pokemon players
#8ColtCababaPosted 1/26/2013 3:05:13 PM
You should've just went Seto Kaiba and screwed the rules.
---
Still waiting for Zoroark to be announced in the new Super Smash Bros. Wii U.
#9infinitexxPosted 1/26/2013 3:27:00 PM
loffter posted...
Nightbird_X posted...

No, I KNEW it, I just didn't... KNOW it, you know?

Like if you were to enter a Super Street Fighter 2 tournament, and the tournament rules did not say Akuma was banned, but you didnt practice with Akuma. It's like that.

Edit- I'm on a pokemon forum using analogies from street Fighter 2. I dont think... most people will understand in hindsight..

It's kind of different, not being up to par in an input heavy game such as a fighter is different than not having used something in a turn based game, where theory goes a lot further.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#10GeorgeyPeorgeyPosted 1/26/2013 3:59:05 PM
I understand TC.

If I had a group of friends or something that played a game I could easily get caught in that kind of mentality. We all decide to avoid using certain tactics/abilities/etc. because it makes the game (at least as far as we were concerned) too focused on those specific things for it to be nearly as fun.

Maybe it's not a perfect comparison, but when you leave that group for the first time in a while you can easily find yourself unaware of how untrained you are with that aspect of the game.

I might compare it to someone who never plays with Ubers, and is completely unfamiliar with their exact stats/movepools/abilities and so isn't nearly as effective at using them/combating them, despite having plenty of skill otherwise.

It's just a bitter pain, but at least that'll really help you learn from it.