This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would it be okay to buy this game without playing Black/White?

#1mastahjebusPosted 1/26/2013 9:25:12 PM
I really want to get back into pokemon, but I don't feel like dropping another $30, especially since I want to save up and get a 3DS.
---
"Your" = Possession | "You're" = You Are | "Their" = Possession | "They're" = They Are | "There" = Position
#2Paradox421Posted 1/26/2013 9:27:48 PM
I went into Gen V without playing B/W and I'm fine. There's some references here and there to events from the previous game but the story was not a priority for me.
---
"Do you remember the episode where Ash caught a Pumbloom?"
"Dude!--" "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
#3Czar_YoshiPosted 1/26/2013 10:06:54 PM
Don't worry, this game (just like all the others) treats you like you've never played pokemon before in your life. That includes the story; you may miss out on a few easter eggs ("Wow! You're the second person who's come all the way out here to talk to me!") but even if you play for the story alone (which is the wrong reason to play pokemon) it'll make perfect sense.

If you need an example, Bianca at one point pretends to be Kaepora Gaebora and gives you a long, unskippable tutorial about obvious things, followed by "Would you like to hear what I said again?" with the cursor starting on Yes. Those were her exact words.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#4WizardofHothPosted 1/26/2013 10:07:11 PM
Same here with me.

I havent played HeartGold, Diamond, Platinum. Even Black 1/White 1 I havent played.

Pokemon White 2/Black 2 I just wanted to buy either one so I could get back into Pokemon.

Yeah I am missing out on the original story of not playing Black 1/White 1 but oh well.

im going shopping next weekend anyway to catch up on the stories and older pokemon in HeartGold or SoulSilver and the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum series.
#5mustardpi314Posted 1/26/2013 10:13:46 PM
Czar_Yoshi posted...
If you need an example, Bianca at one point pretends to be Kaepora Gaebora and gives you a long, unskippable tutorial about obvious things, followed by "Would you like to hear what I said again?" with the cursor starting on Yes. Those were her exact words.

...how the heck did i miss this one?

anyway, yeah, the only thing you'd miss are minor bits of story. overall, B/W2 is a better game. it's not a major difference, but if you're only going to get one of the games, just get number 2.
---
Heh heh... the wind... it is... blowing...
Official Ninetales of the Pokemon X and Y boards
#6Czar_YoshiPosted 1/26/2013 11:57:13 PM(edited)
mustardpi314 posted...
Czar_Yoshi posted...

...how the heck did i miss this one?

Dunno. It was right after she showed you how to catch a wild pokemon, though. Maybe there's a LP somewhere where you can see it.

edit- actually, it may have been while she was showing you the pokemon center or while talking about the Xtranceiver (I know I spelled that wrong). I just played through that part of the game two days ago, though, so I'm sure it's in there somewhere.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#7CaomiausPosted 1/27/2013 2:23:02 AM
Nuuu... Play B/W first. They're without a doubt the best pair of Pokemon games to come out in a VERY long time.
---
Your screams are like music to my audio receptors!