This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's say I wanted to catch all of the pokemon...

#1mastahjebusPosted 1/28/2013 7:39:49 PM
Without trading with anybody else, assume that I have two of each handheld required (if necessary). Would I have to have ALL of the generations of the Pokemon games?

As in, would I have to have Fire Red/Leaf Green, Ruby/Sapphire, Diamond/Pearl, Black/white?

What would I have to do to legitimately get the original 3 starters?

Sorry if this is a noobish question -I haven't been keeping up with the pokemon games lately.
---
"Your" = Possession | "You're" = You Are | "Their" = Possession | "They're" = They Are | "There" = Position
#2BikdipOnABusPosted 1/28/2013 8:04:45 PM
You wouldn't need anything from Gen 3, actually. FR/LG gives easier access to the Kanto starters, and same for R/S/E and the Hoenn starters, but they're not completely necessary. You can pick one Kanto starter and one Hoenn starter after beating the entirety of HG/SS, so with enough patience, you can get all of them from that game. So it does make things easier for you if you have those games (especially if you don't want to buy both versions of a pair), but it's not completely required.

Between B/W, B2/W2, the Dream World, and the Dream Radar, it is possible to catch the majority of the Pokemon, but not all. You still need older games for these:

- Pichu family (get from any Gen 4 game)
- Unown (same)
- Gen 1-4 starters (which I already explained how to get)
- Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres (Platinum or HG/SS)
- Mewtwo (HG/SS)
- Raikou, Entei, Suicune (HG/SS)
- Kyogre (HG)
- Groudon (SS)
- Rayquaza (HG/SS after catching either Kyogre or Groudon and trading for the other)
- All event legends (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect). Some of these can be found through side games and stuff, but most can't. None of them count towards a complete Pokedex, so don't worry too much.

Also worth noting - I didn't list Lugia, Ho-oh, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina because you can get them from the Dream Radar. Basically, after you beat the game, you can get the mascot of whichever game you put in the system. So you do still need to own those games to get them, but as long as you have Platinum and either HG or SS, you can get all three.

If you're looking for a combination of games that will get you the most stuff, I'd suggest Emerald, Platinum, and then either HeartGold + White + Black 2, or SoulSilver + Black + White 2. And you'll also want the Dream Radar for the Kami trio. Dream World is very helpful, but technically not really needed, because either combination will cover any Pokemon that you might otherwise be forced to get from there.

Latias is in HeartGold and White 2, Latios is in SoulSilver and Black 2, so you'll want to make sure to get games that compliment each other. Emerald gets you access to either, but if you're avoiding Gen 3, then you have to do it this way. Also, if you get Black and Black 2 (or White and White 2), then you'll get access to both cover legends, but you'll be missing the Solosis or Gothita family, and the Rufflet or Vullaby family.

With those games, you'll only be missing either Reshiram or Zekrom. And the event legends, but screw those. If you leave out Emerald, then you won't be able to get Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza (you'd only get one of the three) unless you get both HG and SS.
---
If you actively hate Justin Bieber... then you don't know what "intended audience" means. Hate Twilight instead, it's far worse.
#3ZarethKnyghtPosted 1/29/2013 8:01:57 AM(edited)
Thanks again BikdipOnABus for the stats stuff. I just noticed that pre-owned LeafGreen/FireRed/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are all going for either $2 or $5. Too bad Diamond/Pearl/Platinum are still above $25 :(

Blah..nvm...easier to trade for them >.> Only HS/SS/D/P/Pl works with dream radar and they're all above $25. So the only ones that might've been worth getting would be Emerald for the non-event legendaries. Easier to just trade for em since I don't really care much for Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza.

---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: Zareth - 4256 2465 9359
#4SSVegeta77Posted 1/29/2013 8:22:56 AM
Gen 3 Pokemon games are the most counterfeited games on GBA. Used copies of Emerald normally go 30-50. Anything you see that cheap online is fake and you can't import from them.
---
Shaun
White FC- 1163 0414 2659
#5Nightbird_XPosted 1/29/2013 8:35:54 AM
Just get an AR for about 20$ and you can catch anything you want.
---
I'm told I look a lot like Rory Macdonald - http://i46.tinypic.com/2eyf5sy.jpg
Set to WARNED status for being a Republican on 11/08/2012
#6BikdipOnABusPosted 1/29/2013 8:45:43 AM
Forgot to mention in my list: Without both Black 2 and White 2, you'll be missing Regice/Registeel and Regigigas. Getting Emerald will fill in the gaps though.
---
If you actively hate Justin Bieber... then you don't know what "intended audience" means. Hate Twilight instead, it's far worse.
#7mastahjebus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 12:59:44 AM
SSVegeta77 posted...
Gen 3 Pokemon games are the most counterfeited games on GBA. Used copies of Emerald normally go 30-50. Anything you see that cheap online is fake and you can't import from them.

I kick myself in the ass every time I think about this.

I was walking through target once and as always, I pass by the bargain bin section. I saw a STACK of Pokemon Emerald games marked down to about 11 bucks each. I passed them up because I had a bad habit of impulse buying.

****. Damnit.
---
"Your" = Possession | "You're" = You Are | "Their" = Possession | "They're" = They Are | "There" = Position