This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help please, Should I use Flamethrower or Heat Wave? (specific Pokemon inside)

#1NastyyyyyPosted 1/29/2013 7:16:29 PM
Alright, So I'm already planning my team for Pokemon X and Y, and Dragonite is going to be apart of it. I already have three moves, two that will counter his weaknesses, but I need one more.

I was wondering, should I use Flamethrower or Heat Wave? I know that Flame thrower rarely misses and has more PP than Heat Wave, but I would like to start competitively battling again, mainly in doubles battles (this is where heat wave is good, it attacks both opponents)

So which should I use? And, can you explain why?
#2pmasterPosted 1/29/2013 7:21:35 PM
Heat wave since you want to do double battles.
#3WindyligthPosted 1/29/2013 7:24:09 PM
You're rarely gonna see an ice type. If you get hit by an ice move, it's probably not being used by an ice type.
---
Why can't the caterpie and the pidgey be friends? One eats leaves and the other eats caterpie. Oh I see it now.
#4ZarethKnyghtPosted 1/29/2013 8:06:53 PM(edited)
But there's still Steel, Grass and Bug types that people can use.

PS: I'd go with Heat Wave but that's personal preference.

---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: Zareth - 4256 2465 9359
#5DarkBlueAntPosted 1/29/2013 8:29:15 PM(edited)
Windyligth posted...
You're rarely gonna see an ice type. If you get hit by an ice move, it's probably not being used by an ice type.

You must not play online. In Doubles and Triples Ice teams are decently common. Abomasnow, Glaceon, Frosslass, Mamoswine, and Lapras are the common Ice types. They mostly stick together and abuse Blizzard with some Ice Shard thrown in. Blastoise is usually on those teams too as a Fire checker. And don't forget Weaville, who's the most common Ice type of all.

But yeah, Dragonite is INCREDIBLY weak to Ice. I use Ice Punch with Hitmonchan (which is only like 75 Power without STAB) and it kills Dragonite in one hit almost every time. The guy using the Ice move doesn't need to be Ice type to be dangerous to him.
Most people run Dragonite with something like Choice Scarf or Leftovers, but I beat Dragonite pretty easily every time with two guys on my team packing ice. Most players will be ready with a lot of ice moves because dragons are so common .You might consider packing the anti-ice damage berry instead of the commonly used items. I think it would be a lot harder for me to beat anyway.
#6GastroFanPosted 1/30/2013 1:23:40 PM
DarkBlueAnt posted...
Windyligth posted...

You must not play online. In Doubles and Triples Ice teams are decently common. Abomasnow, Glaceon, Frosslass, Mamoswine, and Lapras are the common Ice types. They mostly stick together and abuse Blizzard with some Ice Shard thrown in. Blastoise is usually on those teams too as a Fire checker. And don't forget Weaville, who's the most common Ice type of all.

But yeah, Dragonite is INCREDIBLY weak to Ice. I use Ice Punch with Hitmonchan (which is only like 75 Power without STAB) and it kills Dragonite in one hit almost every time. The guy using the Ice move doesn't need to be Ice type to be dangerous to him.
Most people run Dragonite with something like Choice Scarf or Leftovers, but I beat Dragonite pretty easily every time with two guys on my team packing ice. Most players will be ready with a lot of ice moves because dragons are so common .You might consider packing the anti-ice damage berry instead of the commonly used items. I think it would be a lot harder for me to beat anyway.

I agree with all of this even though I don't play competitively. I know that, if I run into a dragon, I'm either going to use my Lucario that knows Ice Punch or some other pokemon with an ice move since it's so effective. Listen to Dark Blue Ant.

Official Cresselia of B/W2 and X/Y Boards; Official Darkrai of PMD: Gates of Infinity Board