This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

dumb question but what does RNG mean

#1gans626Posted 1/31/2013 8:55:01 PM
I've seen that term used on the boards but have no idea what it means.
---
Albert Wesker for President 2016
#2FuneralCakePosted 1/31/2013 8:57:16 PM
RNG stands for "Random Number Generator." Or, to be more precise, "Pseudo-Random Number Generator." What that means is, basically, everything in the game that you think is "random" is actually not random at all. If you can figure out how these "random" events are generated, you can use it to your advantage to get Pokemon with perfect IVs, shinies, etc.

It's also totally cheating and you should never do it.
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
shut up before i make you shut up
#3KatimariDamashiPosted 1/31/2013 8:59:47 PM
Random number generator. As far as seeing it on the board we're referring to RNG abuse since the pokemon generation process is just seemingly random, but can actually be predicted accurately if you obtain a bit of information (your trainer id, secret id, mac address, ect.).

Rng abuse is used to easily obtain "perfect" pokemon (perfect referring to perfect IVs, the correct nature, ability, and shininess).
---
White FC: 3439 8353 9339 -- Black 2 FC: 3955 6276 9324
My modest list of event pokemon: http://tinyurl.com/9b83llg
#4KatimariDamashiPosted 1/31/2013 9:06:48 PM
FuneralCake posted...

I respectfully disagree. The way I see it, RNGing is simply making full use of the mechanics that the game uses. You're not using an action replay to hack in illegitimate pokemon, your going out and catching the pokemon that you want. All that is required is an external program to tell you what time to initiate the game in order to capture said pokemon, and nothing else. Using knowledge of how the game works, and profiting off of it can hardly be called cheating, in my opinion.
---
#5gans626(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:07:15 PM
oh thanks for the info, but I'll admit to being more of a causal player and not one that gets caught up in the hardcore number crunching in creating the "perfect team" ect.
---
Albert Wesker for President 2016
#6Mariofan15Posted 1/31/2013 9:08:05 PM
FuneralCake posted...

I respectfully disagree. The way I see it, RNGing is simply making full use of the mechanics that the game uses. You're not using an action replay to hack in illegitimate pokemon, your going out and catching the pokemon that you want. All that is required is an external program to tell you what time to initiate the game in order to capture said pokemon, and nothing else. Using knowledge of how the game works, and profiting off of it can hardly be called cheating, in my opinion.

Someone need's a sarcasm detector device.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4513-9468-5924
#7KatimariDamashiPosted 1/31/2013 9:13:30 PM
Mariofan15 posted...

You'll have to excuse me as it can be rather hard to detect sarcasm when you have nothing to go on since text is a rather poor conveyor of sarcasm
---
#8GotenksgetoPosted 2/1/2013 12:06:53 AM
KatimariDamashi posted...
Mariofan15 posted...

You'll have to excuse me as it can be rather hard to detect sarcasm when you have nothing to go on since text is a rather poor conveyor of sarcasm

Seconded. It was definitely not clear that it was sarcasm, and I don't believe it was. But I also don't consider it to be cheating. That's ridiculous.
---
This sig will not change until something impossible happens. Started 10/9/05
Brawl FC: 2363-5458-1028 GamerTag/Wii Name/PSN: KNEVER
#9Czar_YoshiPosted 2/1/2013 12:10:44 AM
FuneralCake posted...

Don't you need AR to get the secret ID?
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#10SooChillinPosted 2/1/2013 12:14:00 AM
Czar_Yoshi posted...
FuneralCake posted...

Don't you need AR to get the secret ID?

No. SID can be found through PokeCheck.