The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I did my first random matchups...

#1SooChillinPosted 1/31/2013 9:12:29 PM
It honestly was nowhere near as bad as I imagined.
I did pretty well using Milotic, Snorlax, Latios & Mienshao mostly.

Almost all of the matches I won were non-hax based which is cool. Except one where me and this guy were down to our last 2 Pokemon, SS Kingdra in Rain & Mienshao, his Hydro Pump missed and I procceded to Drain Punch him to death.

Out of the matches I lost, half were non-hax & half were. I recieve criticals at the worst of times. -___-

So with rage quits included I'm at 9-5. Not too bad, considering my opp. had much more wins than I did. I beat a guy with 1800+ wins, while I was at 3. I'm pretty sure he was pissed lol.

I really want to get better so, anyone have any tips or any certain Pokemon they find pretty effective?
#2pokemon2pokerPosted 1/31/2013 9:25:39 PM
Just keep battling and don't be afraid to adopt strategies you encounter along the way. You'll figure out what works and what doesn't.
---
My opinion is that most opinions are wrong
#3supersonic953Posted 1/31/2013 9:30:55 PM
I also just did my first random matchup. I meant to see if me and my friend could rendezvous (We were hoping to fix some issues we were having) and instead I got matched up in a double battle with someone from South Korea. He had Hydreigon, Rotom, Haxorus, and Emboar against my Samurott, Spiritomb, Venusaur, and Lucario. To my complete shock, I actually won.

Just out of curiousity though, since I'm a total online noob at Pokemon, is the strategy of keeping problem Pokemon preoccupied with Hypnosis/Sleep Powder looked down upon? I'd imagine so because I felt really cheap putting Rotom and Haxorus asleep while I focused on one Pokemon at a time. The way I saw it, though, is that he rage D/C'd at the end of the match so it wouldn't count so I don't really care.
#4SooChillin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:39:45 PM
If you want to go by Smogon rules. Having more than 1 Pokemon put to sleep at a time is banned. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he didn't find a way around your tactics then he deserved the loss. The only thing that I find somewhat cheap is Drizzle + Swift Swim, because the only way to counter it is to have a weather inducing Pokemon of your own.
#5SooChillin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:40:21 PM
pokemon2poker posted...
Just keep battling and don't be afraid to adopt strategies you encounter along the way. You'll figure out what works and what doesn't.

Okay, I'll probably watch some of your videos. You're a pretty good battler.
#6electric_emuPosted 1/31/2013 9:52:44 PM
They're fun! Yes, Sleep might feel cheap but it's not against the rules and neither is Drizzle/Swim. If you don't want to use, that's fine but expect to run into people who will.
#7SooChillin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 9:56:43 PM
electric_emu posted...
They're fun! Yes, Sleep might feel cheap but it's not against the rules and neither is Drizzle/Swim. If you don't want to use, that's fine but expect to run into people who will.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll eventually find a reliable way to counter weather teams. (Though they tend to be easy to get through after you've taken down the weather inducer.) I can't wait to get finished with W2 and use my Spore Technician Breloom. ^_^
#8Crimson_SpiderPosted 1/31/2013 9:59:12 PM
As far as random matchups go, if it isn't banned by the game it is fair game. So yeah, drizzle + swift swim, put their whole team to sleep, sand veil Garchomp with brightpowders, double team + rest on healer, ect. You are only bound by your honor and your desire for entertainment.

It actually adds a whole new dimension to the fight. Suddenly, moves like Miracle Eye and Magical Leaf completely shut down strategies and can win you the fight.
---
Rest in Peace City of Heroes: April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012. We will miss you.
Cause of death: "Realignment of Company Focus" by NCsoft.
#9supersonic953Posted 1/31/2013 10:04:13 PM
SooChillin posted...
If you want to go by Smogon rules. Having more than 1 Pokemon put to sleep at a time is banned. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he didn't find a way around your tactics then he deserved the loss. The only thing that I find somewhat cheap is Drizzle + Swift Swim, because the only way to counter it is to have a weather inducing Pokemon of your own.

Well they actually were never both asleep at one time so I guess it was fair. I'd just take one out with it so I could tag team the one Pokemon that was still awake while its partner was incapacitated. Also on the subject of working around my strategy (If you can even call it that :P) I'm actually surprised he didn't get me because both of my sleep inducers, Venusaur and Spiritomb, are horribly slow.
#10SilverwyrmPosted 1/31/2013 10:04:46 PM
free rating I get a lot of good battles, the moment I touched ranked everything was obviously hacked or rng'd, I just stick with free, dont care about the rating anyways
---
pokemon white friend code: 5029-3555-0823