This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Stealth Rock damage should be typeless

#1DoctorJimmy133Posted 2/1/2013 2:33:07 PM
C. I don't think Game Freak was aware of how powerful this move really would be, so they threw on a pointless gimmick to make it more fun. Stealth Rock single-handedly pulls Charizard, Articuno, Moltres, and Delibird down tiers, makes Volcarona and Ho-Oh less of gods than they otherwise would be, and gives a huge weakness to any Pokémon weak to Rock at all.

If they made SR damage typeless, it would still fill its role of making Pokémon less likely to switch, to help break focus sashes and Sturdies, and just providing nice chip damage. As is, it hurts certain Pokémon but not others for no logical reason. It doesn't help that SR resistance is not as good a boon as as SR weakness is a deficiency.

Now, maybe they just don't care about 6v6 singles matches, (since that's where SR shines) as nearly every official tournament is doubles, and singles matches are usually 3v3. But even in 6v6 singles, you're only going to see this niche move once in every ten battles or so.
#2WindyligthPosted 2/1/2013 3:14:55 PM
D.

SR isn't that bad.

Also rapid spin.
---
Why can't the caterpie and the pidgey be friends? One eats leaves and the other eats caterpie. Oh I see it now.
#3DoctorJimmy133(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 3:20:01 PM
Windyligth posted...
D.

SR isn't that bad.

Also rapid spin.

I'm not saying it should be removed from the game or anything, but SR damage having Rock-type has a detrimental effect on the metagame. How would it be worse if it just dealt a flat 1/8 damage to all Pokémon?

Also if SR is so powerful that you need to switch in a Pokémon to use an otherwise crappy move just to counter it, then it's pretty darn powerful.
#4infinitexxPosted 2/1/2013 3:31:50 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
Also if SR is so powerful that you need to switch in a Pokémon to use an otherwise crappy move just to counter it, then it's pretty darn powerful.

It's not like you don't need to rapid spin Spikes away regardless. Unless of course you're running a bunch of things immune to Spikes, in which case the flying ones are hit for super effective damage by SR (which I always figured was the point of it having that typing).
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#5WindyligthPosted 2/1/2013 3:32:14 PM
Does EQ or SE have a detrimental effect on the metagame? Does Outrage?

If we nerf SR, then why stop there?
---
Why can't the caterpie and the pidgey be friends? One eats leaves and the other eats caterpie. Oh I see it now.
#6wutzgoodPosted 2/1/2013 3:39:31 PM
Now, maybe they just don't care about 6v6 singles matches, (since that's where SR shines) as nearly every official tournament is doubles, and singles matches are usually 3v3. But even in 6v6 singles, you're only going to see this niche move once in every ten battles or so.

^this is the the real reason. Entry hazards can be good in doubles but it isn't required like it is in singles. Singles battles are slowly being phased out by game freak. Soon triples will take over for doubles since almost every poke an be used effectively in triples.
---
I'm calling you an elitist, but I'm just gonna go ahead and leave a snooty remark as I go. I am wutz good
SS FC: 4598 9525 2106 Black 0991 3491 6739
#7mustardpi314Posted 2/1/2013 3:41:50 PM
(assuming SE = stone edge)
stone edge is fine
earthquake might be like 5 or 10 BP too powerful but it's not going anywhere, besides maaybe getting fewer PPs.
i'd be happy if stealth rock only did extra damage against flying types, plus neutral everywhere else. or cap the damage at 25%.
---
Heh heh... the wind... it is... blowing...
Official Ninetales of the Pokemon X and Y boards
#8DoctorJimmy133(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 3:46:37 PM
infinitexx posted...
DoctorJimmy133 posted...

It's not like you don't need to rapid spin Spikes away regardless. Unless of course you're running a bunch of things immune to Spikes, in which case the flying ones are hit for super effective damage by SR (which I always figured was the point of it having that typing).

Fair enough. If SR had its rock-type damage removed, then it would be a faster but less potent Spikes that hit flyers. Having a bunch of flyers could give you a lot of weaknesses to the same types though.

Windyligth posted...
Does EQ or SE have a detrimental effect on the metagame? Does Outrage?

If we nerf SR, then why stop there?

So you're saying that nothing should be nerfed ever because there are always going to be good moves?

Earthquake has a good effect on the metagame because otherwise there would be a lack of good physical Ground-type moves. Stone Edge has a major weakness in low accuracy, so I would consider giving it maybe 90 strength and 90 accuracy. It's very useful for coverage. but not broken. Outrage is an incredible move, but it locks you into it for a couple turns and confuses you, so it's not broken.

This isn't about nerfing Stealth Rock, I simply don't see why it needs to deal Rock-type damage. "SR weakness" brings down dozens of Pokémon while "SR resistance" doesn't buff any very much, and I just don't feel that SR should dictate the quality of so many Pokémon so much.
#9ZarethKnyghtPosted 2/1/2013 3:47:54 PM
Earthquake is only good in single battles though. It can be deadly if you're not careful in doubles and triples.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: Zareth - 4256 2465 9359
Student of Mewtwo, the true Badass of Pokemon.
#10DoctorJimmy133(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 3:51:44 PM
ZarethKnyght posted...
Earthquake is only good in single battles though. It can be deadly if you're not careful in doubles and triples.

It's fine in doubles if you don't get locked into it. Protect, common as it is, can help. Plus, people can usually predict that you can EQ-Protect, so you can throw them off.

Now, EQ'er in the center in triples can be hard to pull off.