This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Smogon is even more elitist now

#31Kaze_MemaryuPosted 2/7/2013 7:15:07 AM
Catcher_Freeman posted...
but how about you just start devising strategies to counter those overpowered PokÚs instead of whining "BOO ITZ UNBEATABLE!!!".

If you have to build your team are countering a few threats, then those threats overcentralizing the game, and hurting diversity.

Smogon's tiers and bans are for the purpose of maintaining a diverse metagame.

And yet, he screws up the metagame for the most part - royally.
It might be a bit luck-based, but the most (in)famous strategies can be easily countered by others - at which point other counter-strategies will be built to move forward.
Banning PokÚs and stuff like that only cripples the metagame in its entirety.
But thank god Smogon is only one community and not part of GameFreak - THAT would destroy online once and for all.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#32LexifoxPosted 2/7/2013 7:23:05 AM
Kaze_Memaryu posted...
And yet, he screws up the metagame for the most part - royally.
It might be a bit luck-based, but the most (in)famous strategies can be easily countered by others - at which point other counter-strategies will be built to move forward.
Banning PokÚs and stuff like that only cripples the metagame in its entirety.

The point is that if a Pokemon creates a situation where it sweeps your team unless you have a specific counter, it's damaging to the metagame. If a strategy can be stopped by a larger number of Pokemon, then there's no need to ban it. If a strategy can be handled but only by one or two specific Pokemon, then it's harmful to the metagame. It's like when people complained about the Blaziken ban by arguing that Blaziken can be stopped easily by Azumarill - this is a poor argument because "Blaziken can be dealt with if every team has Azumarill" means that you are suggesting every team has 1/6 of the same Pokemon for balance.

But thank god Smogon is only one community and not part of GameFreak - THAT would destroy online once and for all.

I think Nintendo and Game Freak's inability to do anything online that isn't half-assed is what destroys Pokemon online, TBH.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#33wutzgoodPosted 2/7/2013 7:30:31 AM
In reality game freak has realized that singles battles will never be balanced so they don't use them or consider them competitive anymore. Doubles, triples and rotations are gonna be the only types used in official tourneys anymore.

Smogon is just trying to keep a stale, simplistic and unbalanced type of battling still going. They should have just dropped singles and started focusing on battling types that will actually be used in competitions a long time ago.
---
I'm calling you an elitist, but I'm just gonna go ahead and leave a snooty remark as I go. I am wutz good
SS FC: 4598 9525 2106 Black 0991 3491 6739
#34darkdragonflamePosted 2/7/2013 8:37:58 AM
How is banning Deoxys (S, N, A), Kyogre, Groudon, Arceus, Mewtwo Shaymin (Sky form) etc.. a bad thing. Even Nintendo bans those pokes.
---
The Official Interceptor of the Duodecim Boards
The Official Zangoose of the Pokemon B/W 2 and Pokemon X boards
#35LexifoxPosted 2/7/2013 8:42:54 AM
darkdragonflame posted...
How is banning Deoxys (S, N, A), Kyogre, Groudon, Arceus, Mewtwo Shaymin (Sky form) etc.. a bad thing. Even Nintendo bans those pokes.

Those Pokemon are banned by being event Pokemon, and so it makes sense to ban them as they're not as readily available as other Pokemon.

Smogon's bans typically boil down to "This Pokemon is too difficult to counter outside of specific situations". Many people interpret this as meaning, basically, "This Pokemon is too hard to play against so let's get rid of it", and many people are just plain opposed to Smogon due to bias, disagreements with certain bans, their overall prevalence, and/or personal preference.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#36darkdragonflamePosted 2/7/2013 10:14:39 AM
Lexifox posted...
darkdragonflame posted...

Those Pokemon are banned by being event Pokemon, and so it makes sense to ban them as they're not as readily available as other Pokemon.

Smogon's bans typically boil down to "This Pokemon is too difficult to counter outside of specific situations". Many people interpret this as meaning, basically, "This Pokemon is too hard to play against so let's get rid of it", and many people are just plain opposed to Smogon due to bias, disagreements with certain bans, their overall prevalence, and/or personal preference.

With most bans I agree except maybe Tornadus-T. What I don't get is that in the PO-tier Garchomp is Uber (or has it dropped already?) and Genesect is OU. People rage at Smogon while PO has almost the same bans.
---
The Official Interceptor of the Duodecim Boards
The Official Zangoose of the Pokemon B/W 2 and Pokemon X boards
#37MrFingers07Posted 2/7/2013 11:52:27 AM
I have no problems with, hell tbh I actually like this.
---
:D Brawlin' Mains: R.O.B., Lucario, Pikachu, Wolf