This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never played meta-game / online. Where do I start?

#1VenomousXPosted 2/8/2013 5:27:23 AM
I've always played pokemon single-player due to social anxiety etc. Anyway, I think I'm finally ready to give it a shot.

I know about EVs, and a little about IVs. I'm completely new to breeding, and what to look for in building a competitive team. A lot of the lingo thrown around (overused? neverused? weather teams?) on most sites is lost on me because I've only ever played the offline game, and such things aren't needed to beat it.

I don't want to go online and embarrass myself with a horrible team / bad moveset.. so where should I turn to learn some basics?
---
3DS FC: 0576-3975-0897
#2MugilokoPosted 2/8/2013 5:28:22 AM
Smogon
---
BlackFC:1807-8830-3725 "Squids are evil!" http://i.imgur.com/VcOip.png
Official Zoroark of the Pokemon XY board
#3Reyman500Posted 2/8/2013 5:33:15 AM
^ type that into google. Jus remember that all hate towards smogon is valid and you shouldn't ever praise them, call em the devil from time to time and you'll fit in. >__>..
---
Poliwag hax shttp://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/randombattle7716029
*OFFICIAL DOWN SYNDROME OF X/Y BOARDS*
#4VenomousX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 5:50:17 AM
I have sort of a hard time understanding smogon honestly. I mean that strategy pokedex thing seems great, I can click on and read about how pokemon are used, but I don't know where to look to read about team building and such?
---
#5ShinGoukenPosted 2/8/2013 5:58:19 AM(edited)
VenomousX posted...
I have sort of a hard time understanding smogon honestly. I mean that strategy pokedex thing seems great, I can click on and read about how pokemon are used, but I don't know where to look to read about team building and such?

Watch some competitive battles on youtube to give you a feel for what they're like. Try using someones team yourself so you get a better feel for how it works. Once you've eased yourself in and gained some knowledge you can try putting a team together yourself.

The basics of making a team are to start with one pokemon and build around it, adding pokes that cover your weaknesses and counter certain threats that would otherwise be dangerous. Start with a generally balanced team (a physical attacker, special attacker, physical wall and special wall then support/wall breaker/duel wall/mixed sweeper etc) Make sure you have no serious weaknesses and try to make sure you carry the right type coverage.

But even a great team will be poo until you have enough experience to properly predict your oponents actions so i would concentrate on experiencing the matagame by watching experienced players first.
---
FFXII Perfect game Inventory at 2750+ Hours - http://youtu.be/kOWgDEQyggg
#6VenomousX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 6:55:36 AM
Thank you for the advice ShinGouken. I'll definitely watch some videos after I pick that first pokemon.

From what I understand pokemon are in different "tiers" right? From what tier should my first pokemon be? Do I have to use legendaries or can I go with something more "normal" for my first team?
---
#7temgunPosted 2/8/2013 7:06:15 AM
VenomousX posted...
Thank you for the advice ShinGouken. I'll definitely watch some videos after I pick that first pokemon.

From what I understand pokemon are in different "tiers" right? From what tier should my first pokemon be? Do I have to use legendaries or can I go with something more "normal" for my first team?

It really doesn't matter. Try around. I like playing UU (underused) the most, because it offers the most variety. Playing Ubers is pretty boring. You could also try using OU (overused), NU (never used) or maybe LC (little cup) if you feel like doing something different.
---
BROCCOLI COCONUT HOT DOG
#8wutzgoodPosted 2/8/2013 7:22:49 AM
You can always test teams out in the pwt also. If you ever plan on trying official tourneys remember they are doubles and don't use tiers or have restrictions like sleep clause, evasion clause etc. only some legends and event only pokes are banned.
---
I'm calling you an elitist, but I'm just gonna go ahead and leave a snooty remark as I go. I am wutz good
SS FC: 4598 9525 2106 Black 0991 3491 6739
#9LordWinterbanePosted 2/8/2013 9:10:56 AM
Also - if you`re interested in WiFi play, I would seriously consider skipping 1v1 and going right to doubles, triples, and rotation. Nintendo no longer does 1v1 tourneys, and that is all smogon cares about. A fair warning.

(I'm still learning doubles, triples, and rotation myself. Lots of 1v1 experience has done very little for that format.)
---
Administrator Winterbane of the Orange Islands TRPG, at your service.
#10VenomousX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 5:56:31 PM
Oh thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have thought 1v1 is gone from tourneys completely. I'll try to focus on what pokemon go well together then.
---