This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is challenge mode even worth it?

#1temgunPosted 2/9/2013 7:59:23 AM
I would love to not being able to steamroll through the game blindfolded. All the leader pokemon seem to be a little higher and they have extra pokemon. It doesn't see that much harder though. I haven't started the game yet, so I don't know if I should just start it normally instead of finding someone else with the game, cheating or something.
---
BROCCOLI COCONUT HOT DOG
#2Tali_ZorahPosted 2/9/2013 8:31:41 AM
Its nice having two DS's and two copies of the game... a bit sad, but nice... ok its very sad, but whatever :P

Anyway, I'm not sure since I haven't tried starting a new game with Challenge mode yet, but I imagine it wouldn't make much difference. You'd have a bit more trouble earlier on maybe, but the increased xp you'd be getting from these fights would balance it out a bit later on.
---
Pokemon White FC: 3568 3549 8596
#3LykainPosted 2/9/2013 8:38:51 AM
As with just about any RPG, the difficulty (and therefore the likelihood of being able to steamroll it) depends entirely on how you play it.

If you only go through the game with 1 Pokemon, yes it'll be easy. If you fight wild encounters rather than running from them, yes it'll be easy. If you use items, yes it'll be easy. Challenge Mode can't change this unfortunately.

If you want an RPG to provide a challenge, then you have to impose certain restrictions upon yourself to make it so.

Back on-topic, however: Yes I think it's worth it if you have a friend who can trade you the key or have an AR to activate it yourself.
#4infinitexxPosted 2/9/2013 10:36:30 AM
If you have the means to just cheat and give yourself the Challenge Mode key, by all means do so.

But if it's something that'll take effort, not really worth it.

A few gym matches can be challenging if you haven't been grinding, but on the whole it's always going to be easy if you know what you're doing.
---
Posted from my Xbox360 with 360FAQS v1.1
#5temgun(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 11:28:49 AM
I guess it's not worth buying action replay for and I don't know anyone who even plays games, so whatevers I guess.
---
BROCCOLI COCONUT HOT DOG
#6elite_marksmanPosted 2/9/2013 12:59:22 PM
Challenge mode is worth it, in my opinion.

Overall, it doesn't make the game that much harder, but it does make you level up faster, which is always nice.
#7Czar_YoshiPosted 2/9/2013 11:44:22 PM
Lykain posted...
If you only go through the game with 1 Pokemon, yes it'll be easy.

But that's bad game design. If they didn't give the starters such good options (well, maybe not serperior) against the starters they were weak to, and properly implemented the rival, the game would force you early on to train more than one pokemon to avoid getting walled and mauled every time he shows up.

It should be harder to make it with one pokemon, not easier. The only way to do that in RBYFRLG is through massive overlevelling or a highly specialized Blastoise.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#8CakeOfLiesPosted 2/10/2013 1:03:23 PM
I just got Challenge Mode on my White 2 using my friend's Black 2 last night and tried it today.
It certainly makes the game a LOT harder (or, the Elite Four, anyway)... I say it's worth it.
---
"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." -HK-47
#9LykainPosted 2/11/2013 10:05:11 PM
Czar_Yoshi posted...
But that's bad game design. If they didn't give the starters such good options (well, maybe not serperior) against the starters they were weak to, and properly implemented the rival, the game would force you early on to train more than one pokemon to avoid getting walled and mauled every time he shows up.

It should be harder to make it with one pokemon, not easier. The only way to do that in RBYFRLG is through massive overlevelling or a highly specialized Blastoise.

I agree that it's bad game design. They have at least taken a step in the right direction in Gen 5 with the new experience system though (higher level Pokemon gaining lower exp).

And yes that's only realistically possible in RBYFRLG through massive overlevelling. The problem though is that if you only use 1 Pokemon then you massively overlevel without doing it on purpose.

Before I learnt that I enjoy the games more when I set certain restrictions on myself, I used to go through them with just 1 Pokemon (such as Bulbasaur in FR). I would run from 100% of random encounters, but because of the fact that I was only using Bulbasaur it would gain exp so quickly that it would steamroll everything, including the Elite 4 (and round 2). And that's without any TMs, just Bulbasaur's crappy level-up moveset and Strength.

It's possible to steamroll all of the Pokemon games with 1 Pokemon, not just the new ones (it's in fact more "difficult" now than it was). I strongly hope they change that for Gen 6, but I'm not getting my hopes up.