This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking about making my very first competitive team. Need LOTS of help plz.

#1skye_returnsPosted 2/18/2013 12:12:54 PM
I have NO idea what I'm doing. I've never been able to do competitive pokebattling before, since I've not played a wifi-enabled game until W2. I only have a vague notion of making a Triples Sand team. Atm all I've got is Tyranitar, Stoutland, and Excadrill. Thinking maybe Metagross too. Other than those vague notions, I'm not sure what I'm doing. I'd also like to put together a Rotational team and a straight single battle team. Prolly OU for everything since I don't have the skills yet to make anything else effectively. EDIT: Excadrill is Uber, isn't it? Swap Sandslash in then.
---
3DS FC: 4098-2332-8721
W2 FC:0176-0553-2123 -bolt_thundara
#2tadashii18Posted 2/18/2013 1:16:02 PM
I use a Sand team. The thing you'll want to remember about this is that coverage is very important since Water Grass and Fire types can spell doom for you. And not all Pokemon have to benefit from the sand and not only rock ground and steel types are viable on a sand team. Say for example a psychic type like reuniclus, clefable or Alakazam with magic guard won't take damage from sand ever so they provide excellent coverage. The Pokemon I use on my sand team are these. I have two sand teams btw. A Speed one and a slow one. The speed one has Tyranitar, Alakazam, Scizor, Skarmory, Garchomp, and Gastrodon. Gastrodon isn't fast but is a good switch it to water types thanks to its ability storm drain which boosts is special attack each time it's hit with a water move. On my slow team I use Tyranitar, Scizor, Bronzong, Reuniclus, Marowak, and Gastrodon. Note that nature are VERY important in competitive battling. The Scizor on my speed team has a Adamant nature with IV's in speed and attack while the one on my slow team is Brave with IV's in attack HP
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFaqs 1.10
Pokemon Black 2 FC - 3783 6998 1893
#3Czar_YoshiPosted 2/18/2013 3:02:52 PM
Go spectate lots of battles on Pokemon Showdown!. You'll soon get a feel for how things work.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#4LastDayz93Posted 2/18/2013 3:20:20 PM
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3473637

see everything in the S and A tiers? Close your eyes and pick 6 of those.
#5Czar_YoshiPosted 2/18/2013 11:31:31 PM
LastDayz93 posted...
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3473637

see everything in the S and A tiers? Close your eyes and pick 6 of those.

Oh, that's going to end well.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#6HardCore34Posted 2/20/2013 7:50:24 AM
I've recently discovered that watching Pokemon battles of high caliber on youtube that have commentaries is an extremely good way to see good team building skills and what to do and what not to do in battle. I know Smogon's Smogon U on Youtube is pretty good for this. I'm not lifting it up, but it's all I've looked at and I've made a nice BW2 Ou team and have been battling much better. You learn what to look for in a team preview, what general Pokemon sets to expect, and you can determine sets after just one turn based on weather damage and knowledge of the metagame. I watched two or three videos before making a nice team and feeling more acclimated to the meta.