This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people spend time trying to catch Shinies?

#1Ulquiorra87Posted 2/28/2013 4:21:23 PM
They're no different stat-wise from a normal pokemon, right? So why are there people who go out of their way to catch them? (Even going as far as making all shiny teams)

It must take a huge amount of time seeing as I've played Pokemon for about 15 years and only met one shiny (a Slowpoke - kind of appropriate really)
#2FuneralCakePosted 2/28/2013 4:23:11 PM
Because they want to? Why do people give their Pokemon nicknames or try to catch them in specific Pokeballs? It doesn't have any effect on their battle performance.

Getting shinies can be a very time-consuming process, but there are ways to shorten the time spent.
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
i've got too many devils
#3pokemon2pokerPosted 2/28/2013 4:49:47 PM
Because they want to feel special. Shinies are overrated.
---
Suikoden 6 please.
People who agree: 13
#4SaintZetsuPosted 2/28/2013 4:56:49 PM
Why do people do anything? Fun isn't useful.
---
Yes, I am a squirrel gamer, yes I love videogames, no you can't have my number or take my nuts.
#5Solar_CrimsonPosted 2/28/2013 5:00:29 PM
Bragging rights.
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
The official Okuninushi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#6tadashii18Posted 2/28/2013 5:00:43 PM
They're like trophies to them, prized Pokémon
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFaqs 1.10
Pokemon Black 2 FC - 3783 6998 1893
#7MetalgenesisPosted 2/28/2013 5:31:38 PM
Sometimes the shiny version just looks better. Steelix and Metagross are two such pokes.
---
Black2 FC: 3526 1347 5979 Name: Mia
#8coreekymonPosted 2/28/2013 6:05:37 PM
I've explained this before, it's in human nature to cherish rare things. When something is rare it gets an artificially higher value.

Think of it like this why is an unopened Pokemon red worth 100s of dollars? All you'd be getting is a cardboard box with an antiquated piece of technology in it. But still people want it because there are so few left. Shinies are exactly the same, collectors want them because they are rare.

What I don't understand is why we see topics like this? Does it really bother you so much that people are more interested in collecting than competitive battling? Shinies aren't overrated, some people like having rare collections just because you get something else out of the game doesn't mean their way is wrong.
---
My Pokemon guide: pkmntrainercory.blogspot.com Check it out!
Shinji X Asuka is the most sacred pairing in all of anime. That is an unnegotiable fact.
#9Ulquiorra87(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 6:20:25 PM
Nowhere did I say it bothered me. I'm just curious about the thought process behind it because I see so much discussion on them.

Tbh, I don't really get collectors. I'd think an original Pokemon Red would be worth a lot because it would be awesome to play but hard to find. I would never buy it just to keep it sealed in it's box
#10coreekymonPosted 2/28/2013 6:28:46 PM
Ulquiorra87 posted...
Nowhere did I say it bothered me. I'm just curious about the thought process behind it because I see so much discussion on them.

Tbh, I don't really get collectors. I'd think an original Pokemon Red would be worth a lot because it would be awesome to play but hard to find. I would never buy it just to keep it sealed in it's box

Well it's such a simple concept, it's hard to not come off as being bothered when you question it.

If you were just going to open the box why buy it new? Why is it worth more than the exact same thing out of the box? I don't care if you don't agree with collectors, it really shouldn't be difficult to understand them.
---
My Pokemon guide: pkmntrainercory.blogspot.com Check it out!
Shinji X Asuka is the most sacred pairing in all of anime. That is an unnegotiable fact.