This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people spend time trying to catch Shinies?

#11CakeOfLiesPosted 2/28/2013 5:44:21 PM
Shinies often look cooler than their normal forms.
And when you run into a spontaneous Shiny (like my Joltik), it's just something nice to see.
I use my Shinies cuz I like their coloring.
---
"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." -HK-47
#12BluePaladin25Posted 3/1/2013 12:31:59 PM
RANT TIEM

The only thing about Shinies that bothers me is that it prevents something else from happening that I would find really cool, namely, making Pokemon with alternate colorings or slight cosmetic differences more common and make those able to be passed down via breeding. If Shinies had never happened, Gamefreak would be able to do that if they wanted to. However, as it stands, if the idea occurred to them they would feel that it would reduce the "value" of Shinies and, therefore, decide against implementing it.

Seriously, imagine not just being able to customize your Pokemon's IVs and moves, but their appearances as well. Heck, let's take those stupid Musical props and let you wear them in battle.

You: "Go, Sir Smugleaf!"
*Snivy in a top hat.*
Opponent: "... I forfeit. I just... I just can't attack that."

But instead, they took a palette swap (and one that doesn't always look good... PINK DRAGONITE) and made it "super rare" and you wind up with more people wanting Shinies because they're RARE and not because they actually like how the Pokemon looks. And so the people who are in favor of the exclusivity of Shinies outnumber the people in favor off being able to have Pokemon look the way they'd like them to look.

Show of hands: How many people would still want a Shiny Charizard even if they weren't "rare" or "special", and black was just as common as red?

I'm going to guess at least 8/10 people. One of those people being me. (I just want a blue Gallade...)
#13GamingAntPosted 3/1/2013 2:45:11 PM
Why do people play video games?
---
I'll have a number nine, a number nine large, a number six with extra sauce, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one wit' cheese, and a large soda
#14RudokuPosted 3/1/2013 4:19:32 PM
The only reason why I don't is because I don't feel like hearing a Chatot schreeching "Ballin!" 2000 times just to find out that I miscounted and got a crappy stat non-Shiny. More power to the guys that do.
---
Magical Scientist is more perfect than EotS because you get to shoot dinosaurs out of a turtle.
#15blueblackVXPosted 3/2/2013 1:49:01 PM
Quote:RANT TIEM

The only thing about Shinies that bothers me is that it prevents something else from happening that I would find really cool, namely, making Pokemon with alternate colorings or slight cosmetic differences more common and make those able to be passed down via breeding. If Shinies had never happened, Gamefreak would be able to do that if they wanted to. However, as it stands, if the idea occurred to them they would feel that it would reduce the "value" of Shinies and, therefore, decide against implementing it.

Seriously, imagine not just being able to customize your Pokemon's IVs and moves, but their appearances as well. Heck, let's take those stupid Musical props and let you wear them in battle.

*Snivy in a top hat.*

But instead, they took a palette swap (and one that doesn't always look good... PINK DRAGONITE) and made it "super rare" and you wind up with more people wanting Shinies because they're RARE and not because they actually like how the Pokemon looks. And so the people who are in favor of the exclusivity of Shinies outnumber the people in favor off being able to have Pokemon look the way they'd like them to look.

Show of hands: How many people would still want a Shiny Charizard even if they weren't "rare" or "special", and black was just as common as red?

I'm going to guess at least 8/10 people. One of those people being me. (I just want a blue Gallade...)

@BluePaladin25
Dragonite isn't pink though. It's a dark vomit green. Also, if something is hard to obtain, people will by all means want it more. Just because you want Pokemon to somehow not be Shiny, and yet still keep their alternate colors, doesn't mean that everyone will think the same. IIRC, the term "Shiny" in Pokemon means alternate coloration, and yet you don't want Shinies, you want what a Shiny is by definition. I don't understand your logic. In conclusion, learn logic, understand the facts of Pokemon, and, most of all, learn the difference between facts and opinions. If you do this, your experience on this board will be great. If you don't, then good luck. You'll need a lot of it.
---
I'm blue. I'm black. I'm blueblackVX!
The Official Zekrom of GameFAQs
#16zxzxiPosted 3/2/2013 5:17:09 PM
BluePaladin25 posted...
RANT TIEM

*Snivy in a top hat.*

Kinda like how in Pokemon Stadium 1, a time before shinies came into existence, There were slight color differences of every pokemon depending on their nickname.
Ever since shinies came about, that function ceased to exist, and it was either regular, or shiny, nothing else.
---
My alternate username is: BrownYoshi
#17OCRAZYGunPosted 3/2/2013 10:09:26 PM
^I forgot about that. It was a cool feature.
---
Sent from my iPhone 4S via PowerGuides 1.10
#18Ulquiorra87(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 7:35:17 AM(edited)
I agree on wishing colour differences were more common. It's like how there are some really cool pokemon with really low encounter rates. I would like them but it's not worth the hours and hours of searching through pokemon.