This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Beginning work on a sun team, would appreciate some advice.

#1RPGman1Posted 3/10/2013 8:55:51 PM
Okay, I'm reading to begin raising my Drought Vulpix and start on a Sun Team.

It's Timid, and has 31s in Sp. Atk and Speed. I assume that the best EVs to give it are Sp. Atk and Speed?

Also, what are some other good Pokemon to look at for a first Sun Team. I have a well-trained Darmanitan that's going to be taking up a slot for at least a little while, so right now I just need ideas for 4 others. Can Venusaur still be usable even without Chlorophyll? I'm a big fan of the guy.
---
JAAAYYSSOOONNN! SSSHHHAAAUUUNNNN!!!
#2coreekymonPosted 3/10/2013 9:11:23 PM
That's fine for Ninetales, but I wouldn't use Venasaur without chlorophyll he just doesn't get nearly as much out of the sun. I like Volcorona and Heatran on my sun team, but other than them I just use other pokemon that balance the team even if they get little from the sun. That would be a good place for a chlorophyll user I guess.
---
My Pokemon guide: pkmntrainercory.blogspot.com Check it out!
Shinji X Asuka is the most sacred pairing in all of anime. That is an unnegotiable fact.
#35ky_4nth3mPosted 3/10/2013 9:56:42 PM
RPGman1 posted...

It's Timid, and has 31s in Sp. Atk and Speed. I assume that the best EVs to give it are Sp. Atk and Speed?

Also, what are some other good Pokemon to look at for a first Sun Team. I have a well-trained Darmanitan that's going to be taking up a slot for at least a little while, so right now I just need ideas for 4 others. Can Venusaur still be usable even without Chlorophyll? I'm a big fan of the guy.

overall, i think volcarona is way more dangerous for your opponent than darmanitan but i guess you could always run both.
the thing is, if you do, you'll probably be forced to use the rest of the team as counters because you'd be relying on a lot of fire types with basically the same weaknesses.
don't get me wrong, it can be a good strategy but it's up to you to decide if you like that play style or not.
one of my most successful teams on 4th gen revolved around 3-4 steel types and the fact that i was running so many pokemon of the same type was part of my success because i was able to really screw with the opponent's predictions.

anyway, venusaur can be awesome but only if it has chlorophyll. without it, most average grass types with chlorophyll will do better than it most of the time.
have you ever considered victreebell? it can really wreck stuff with weather ball since it turns into a 150 bp (100 power + weather bonus) fire move with the sun on.

other than that i'd say an electric type, either a fast one (jolteon, etc) or a resistant/durable one (lanturn can be awsome against rain teams).
a flying type or something with levitate (a dragon or something like gliscor maybe?)
the last slot, in case you decide to run only 2 fire types, could be something random, an utility pokemon like a healer, wall, spinner (starmie), etc.

hope this helps.
#4tadashii18Posted 3/10/2013 10:01:46 PM
Know that not everyone on your team needs to be a Fire or Grass type. I have a Sunlight team I use for Triples. Ninetales, Hitmontop/Conkeldurr, Whimsicott, Salamence, Flareon, Venusaur/Maractus/Serperior. Sometimes I feel like switching out some Pokemon thats why I put slash so-and-so.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFaqs 1.10
Pokemon Black 2 FC - 3783 6998 1893
#5RPGman1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 10:09:09 PM(edited)
5ky_4nth3m posted...
RPGman1 posted...

overall, i think volcarona is way more dangerous for your opponent than darmanitan but i guess you could always run both.
the thing is, if you do, you'll probably be forced to use the rest of the team as counters because you'd be relying on a lot of fire types with basically the same weaknesses.
don't get me wrong, it can be a good strategy but it's up to you to decide if you like that play style or not.
one of my most successful teams on 4th gen revolved around 3-4 steel types and the fact that i was running so many pokemon of the same type was part of my success because i was able to really screw with the opponent's predictions.

anyway, venusaur can be awesome but only if it has chlorophyll. without it, most average grass types with chlorophyll will do better than it most of the time.
have you ever considered victreebell? it can really wreck stuff with weather ball since it turns into a 150 bp (100 power + weather bonus) fire move with the sun on.

other than that i'd say an electric type, either a fast one (jolteon, etc) or a resistant/durable one (lanturn can be awsome against rain teams).
a flying type or something with levitate (a dragon or something like gliscor maybe?)
the last slot, in case you decide to run only 2 fire types, could be something random, an utility pokemon like a healer, wall, spinner (starmie), etc.

hope this helps.

I'll give Victreebel a look. I'll need to trade one over, but I'll make due. I'll look into some Electric and Dragon types and see what I think. (Dragonite isn't good unless he has Multiscale, is he?)

For the last slot, could a bulky Serene Grace Togekiss with Wish, Thunder Wave, Aura Sphere, and Air Slash work?
---
#6BlupohPosted 3/10/2013 10:36:09 PM
Consider a spinner to keep your ninetales safe from SR. I personally like Tentacruel and Donphan.

My only justification for tentacruel on a sunny team is that if your opponent was able to set up rain on you, tentacruel can soak up toxic, ice, and boosted water attacks, however it does shares a weakness with Ninetales.

Donphan is usually overlooked, and you may need to accommodate for its weaknesses, but a stabbed EQ and access to ice shard with surprisingly high attack i something to consider.
#7RPGman1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 10:42:01 PM
Blupoh posted...
Consider a spinner to keep your ninetales safe from SR. I personally like Tentacruel and Donphan.

My only justification for tentacruel on a sunny team is that if your opponent was able to set up rain on you, tentacruel can soak up toxic, ice, and boosted water attacks, however it does shares a weakness with Ninetales.

Donphan is usually overlooked, and you may need to accommodate for its weaknesses, but a stabbed EQ and access to ice shard with surprisingly high attack i something to consider.

Sorry, but I'm not entirely familiar with what a "spinner" is.
---
#8CharizardFirePosted 3/10/2013 10:43:32 PM
Sorry, but I'm not entirely familiar with what a "spinner" is.

He means a Pokémon that knows Rapid Spin.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
The official Charizard of the Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 boards.
#9BlupohPosted 3/10/2013 10:48:02 PM
haha my bad.

Rapid spin: A normal attack with power of 40 that clears your side of the field of spikes, stealth rocks. and toxic spikes. Also removes leech seed from the user.

A spinner is a Pokemon that has this attack to solely to keep your side of the field clear of entry hazards.

Pretty important for a team that banks on a fire type to set up sun.
#10RPGman1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 10:51:24 PM
Blupoh posted...
haha my bad.

Rapid spin: A normal attack with power of 40 that clears your side of the field of spikes, stealth rocks. and toxic spikes. Also removes leech seed from the user.

A spinner is a Pokemon that has this attack to solely to keep your side of the field clear of entry hazards.

Pretty important for a team that banks on a fire type to set up sun.

Oh, okay. I'd heard the term once or twice, but wasn't completely familiar with it. Thanks for that.
---