This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why You Can't Transfer Pokemon With HMs

#1To4oo4Posted 7/17/2013 7:59:33 AM
The reason you can't use PokeTransfer on Pokemon that know HMs is because the HMs have changed over time. Dig used to be an HM, but it isn't anymore. Flash used to be an HM, too. But it isn't anymore. And if you had a Pokemon that knew a HM move that's not an HM anymore, but was listed as an HM since it was in it's original game, it could glitch the game. Anybody else ever though about this...?
---
---T2
#2Stormvale12Posted 7/17/2013 8:05:09 AM
To4oo4 posted...
The reason you can't use PokeTransfer on Pokemon that know HMs is because the HMs have changed over time. Dig used to be an HM, but it isn't anymore. Flash used to be an HM, too. But it isn't anymore. And if you had a Pokemon that knew a HM move that's not an HM anymore, but was listed as an HM since it was in it's original game, it could glitch the game. Anybody else ever though about this...?

I'm pretty sure this is common sense.
---
White 2 FC: 1679 3141 2693
#3Natwaf_akidnaPosted 7/17/2013 8:07:30 AM
Dig used to be an HM

What? Dig was NEVER an HM.

And the reason why you can't transfer HM pokes is that Gamefreak fears that there is a very microscopically small (and most likely impossible) chance that you're in a place where you can't catch anymore poke and that HM is needed to traverse the place, and you might accidentally transfer your very last poke that can use that HM.

That said, I don't remember any place like that in Unova.
---
My Little Phineas and Ferb: Summer is Magic!
Natwaf will win this year's Guru Contest! (Yeah Right)
#4Flash2BeasleyPosted 7/17/2013 11:46:51 AM
Natwaf_akidna posted...
Dig used to be an HM

And the reason why you can't transfer HM pokes is that Gamefreak fears that there is a very microscopically small (and most likely impossible) chance that you're in a place where you can't catch anymore poke and that HM is needed to traverse the place, and you might accidentally transfer your very last poke that can use that HM.

Actually, I assumed it was because you could trade for pokemon with HM's you're not supposed to have yet early in the game. Although IIRC, the old games had a badge requirement to use certain HM's outside of battle, but I don't remember seeing that in this game.

As for former HM's, I'm pretty sure its just Rock Climb (don't even think its a TM now) and Rock Smash.
#5shadowreaper7Posted 7/17/2013 12:05:53 PM
Flash2Beasley posted...
Natwaf_akidna posted...
Dig used to be an HM

Actually, I assumed it was because you could trade for pokemon with HM's you're not supposed to have yet early in the game. Although IIRC, the old games had a badge requirement to use certain HM's outside of battle, but I don't remember seeing that in this game.

As for former HM's, I'm pretty sure its just Rock Climb (don't even think its a TM now) and Rock Smash.

I'm going to finally clear this up because there are some issues.

You cannot transfer pokemon with HM moves because it can cause a problem in the game they are originally in. For example.
You have made it to cinnabar island in HG/SS
You have a Pidgey in your pc box and a seaking also in the Pc, they have Fly and Surf respectively. There are 4 spare pokemon in the pc ready to be transferred also none of which are capable of learning fly or surf.
In your party is a sole ratatta. You have not picked up any of the fishing rods at any point.

If you transfer the Seaking and Pidgey plus the other 4, you have no pokemon capable of learning fly or surf, and thus you have no means of leaving cinnabar island, as you cannot catch pokemon on the island, and you cannot fish.

Truly the circumstances where you get "locked out" are very very rare, and for the most part, when most people transfer pokemon, they are usually done with that game anyways.

Coding was only an issue for the Gen I - Gen II games (which was the same with pokemon as well as HM's IIRC), Gen III - Gen IV didn't have the coding issue, once again it was the "locked out" scenario.
---
Black 2 FC: 1077 - 9701 - 9188
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#6HozuPosted 7/17/2013 3:17:46 PM
That's all nice, but they couldn't program a check to make sure you don't transfer the only Pokémon that knows a certain HM move? Like they already have done for releasing?
---
http://i.imgur.com/qCo47.png http://i.imgur.com/Q7Q8S.png
http://tinyurl.com/HozuRNGdEvents - because events have no value http://tinyurl.com/HozuDWF
#7NotReallyJosephPosted 7/17/2013 3:43:10 PM
If you orchestra circumstances in which you're stuck somewhere you deserve to be stuck there for your lack of foresight tbh
---
Intolerant beliefs are the one thing we should never tolerate.
#8CornwallacePosted 7/17/2013 7:17:45 PM
NotReallyJoseph posted...
If you orchestra circumstances in which you're stuck somewhere you deserve to be stuck there for your lack of foresight tbh

Or the game could be nice and prevent some people from accidentally ruining their file. This isn't Gen 1, we have a Move Deleter now.
---
http://creativegametheory.com/ Tower Defense Game, going to a closed Beta. It's happening! -- Black 2 Friend Code: 0219 2150 9366