This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to build my first doubles team

#1xbombrPosted 8/19/2013 2:37:39 PM
I haven't really played a whole lot of singles, but the meta for doubles is quite different anyway. So this is my first real crack at making a team and it's a somewhat unique situation too. I would like to be able to apply this team to both the 4s and 6s format since I would like to be able to use it ingame, using nintendo's rules, and potentially playing some wifi games competitively at some point.

My idea for a core is a sand team based around Sand Veil Garchomp (I have a jolly Gible :D. I can switch out for a rough skin Garchomp or a different pokemon when playing the standard ruleset) and Tyranitar. From there I was thinking about filling my other 4 slots with options that would focus on taking care of counters. I really need some help with this part because I really don't know what to do after I've gotten my core down. Items and movesets will come later once I've decided on ways to diversify my team and open up options.

Reuniclus comes to mind because is has an ability that prevents it from getting chipped down by weather. Additionally, it's not weak to water, grass, and fighting like a lot of pokemon I would likely choose that benefit from a sand storm. Not sure what kind of set I would run on it though.

Skarmory comes to mind for a physical wall as does Ferrothorn. Fire weakness might be an issue though so there might be better options. Perhaps a bulky toxic staller.

I also thought about packing something that can learn ice beam to handle dragon-type threats because I really don't want to risk losing Garchomp to someone with a sashed Outrage, Draco Meteor, etc. I don't know what the best options for an ice beam user in doubles is though. Perhaps one of my other suggestions can take care of that.

Aerodactyl might be useful too for setting up stealth rocks and taunting non-attack spammers that can wall my team with screens, protect, and the various guard moves.

I just feel like I have so many options, but creating a good coverage (especially one that can be applied to the 4 pokemon format) is difficult. I would just take the dive and go for it, but I really would like to get a good idea of what I should be supporting Garchomp with before I start making my team since I actually have to get these pokemon and I want to do it 100% legitimately.

My other idea for a team was a lulzy Slaking + Gastro Acid set up, but that seems really gimmicky for a first team.

Any recommendations, ideas, or general tips for doubles would be greatly appreciated!

tl;dr building a sand team with TTar and Garchomp, need recommendations to round my team out.
---
FAIL WAR! Let's do it! I'll warn you... YOU CAN'T BEAT ME! - Deprece
#2Monster SlasherPosted 8/19/2013 3:31:31 PM
- most people on cartridges play with Nintendo's rules anyways out of convenience; there's no auto-leveling in 6v6 singles/doubles and it's a hassle to make sure everybody is the same level so that there's no imbalance there

- doubles (especially 4v4 doubles) is slanted heavily towards offense so using "walls" and "stallers" is a recipe for failure; the only defensive strategy that sorta works is running something like Minimize Chansey with teammates supporting it but rolling virtual dice with evasion is no fun and you'll get more than your share of ragequitters

- Stealth Rock is not worth the moveslot or the tempo to use it in 4v4 doubles but Taunt can be very useful

- if you're running Sand, make sure you have ways to deal with Rain teams, Intimidate, and Will-o-wisp

- Garchomp isn't nearly as good in doubles as it is in singles - Outrage randomly targets an opponent's Pokemon and you have to build your team around Levitate/Flyers if you want to abuse Earthquake
---
I haven't used this account in a while and lost gfaqs9 ;_;
#3xbombr(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2013 4:06:04 PM
Monster Slasher posted...
- most people on cartridges play with Nintendo's rules anyways out of convenience; there's no auto-leveling in 6v6 singles/doubles and it's a hassle to make sure everybody is the same level so that there's no imbalance there

- doubles (especially 4v4 doubles) is slanted heavily towards offense so using "walls" and "stallers" is a recipe for failure; the only defensive strategy that sorta works is running something like Minimize Chansey with teammates supporting it but rolling virtual dice with evasion is no fun and you'll get more than your share of ragequitters

- Stealth Rock is not worth the moveslot or the tempo to use it in 4v4 doubles but Taunt can be very useful

- if you're running Sand, make sure you have ways to deal with Rain teams, Intimidate, and Will-o-wisp

- Garchomp isn't nearly as good in doubles as it is in singles - Outrage randomly targets an opponent's Pokemon and you have to build your team around Levitate/Flyers if you want to abuse Earthquake

Thank you. I didn't figure stealth rock would be worth setting up due to the fact that in 4v4 stealth rock is obviously going to have less impact than in 6v6 just due to the amount of pokemon. I already sorta figured that stealth rock wouldn't be that great in doubles unless you were trying to wall/phaze a lot.

I was considering running dragon claw on Garchomp as my main stab with Earthquake for whenever I had a flyer/levitate in. Sand Veil would provide me hopefully with enough evasion to get a swords dance off. I could try running a screener to protect him during the process also.

Burns were another worry of mine, that's also why I wanted a good ice beamer, hopefully to be able to double as a special sweeper in case the other team is carrying lots of burn moves and intimidate. Reuniclus could also help out here since he's a special attack user that is immune to weather.

I'm not sure how you deal with a rain team due to my lack of experience, but my understanding is that you need to essentially kill politoed (or whoever the rain dance user is) without losing your sand streamer, then reapplying your weather condition. Unless I'm mistaken, generally the weather user isn't kept out long either because losing them ruins your advantage.
---
FAIL WAR! Let's do it! I'll warn you... YOU CAN'T BEAT ME! - Deprece