This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D Metal Claw broke FR/LG

#1bigbug1992Posted 9/5/2013 10:15:48 AM
Back in the day, if you played Red or Blue, and picked Charmander, you had the most difficult time in the early game because of your type disadvantage in the first two gyms.

However, when FR/LG came out, Charmander got Metal Claw at level 9, and made Brock way easy to beat, and veterans of the series would have easily gotten a Pikachu in the Viridian Forest for Misty, making it so you have absolutely no disadvantage or even a challenge if you picked Charmander.
/rant
---
Not changing this sig until Bray Wyatt and the Wyatt Family are in a RAW main event Started: 7/30/2013
3DS FC: 0963-0057-0127
#2GoaFan77Posted 9/5/2013 11:11:46 AM
D. The game being hard if you picked Charmander hardly seems a core part of the game. I'd say it was an unfortunate design of the original.
---
"How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything which happens in life!"
#3Slayerblade11Posted 9/5/2013 11:51:32 AM
D, Mistys' Starmie destroys Pikachu unless it's ridiculously over leveled.
#4shadowreaper7Posted 9/5/2013 1:25:03 PM
D, nidoran gets double kick in the originals.
---
Black 2 FC: 1077 - 9701 - 9188
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#5AmesangPosted 9/5/2013 1:40:17 PM
I thought the Nidoran didn't get Double Kick early on until Yellow? Although in that game you could just pick up a Mankey right before the Badge Check Gate, anyway.
---
"Help! Help! They've destroyed my cousin's brain!! Oh, my god! They've already milked you, haven't they?!!" -- Phoncible P. Bone
#6SalogyPosted 9/5/2013 7:32:56 PM
Amesang posted...
I thought the Nidoran didn't get Double Kick early on until Yellow? Although in that game you could just pick up a Mankey right before the Badge Check Gate, anyway.

No, Nidoran male has double kick in R/B. I remember because my Nidoran kept Double Kick even though it was a bad fighting move.
---
"In truth, they haven't been allowed for ages, we've just never enforced the rule" -SineNomine on presigs
#7bigbug1992(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 9:26:24 PM
@GoaFan77: It is actually implied that Charmander is supposed to be the hardest to use starter.

You notice when you cycle through the starters, Oak gives a comment about each starter, with him specifically saying it would be harder to raise Charmander.

He essentially says:

Bulbasaur: Easy Mode
Squirtle: Normal Mode
Charmander: Hard Mode
---
Not changing this sig until Bray Wyatt and the Wyatt Family are in a RAW main event Started: 7/30/2013
3DS FC: 0963-0057-0127
#8GoaFan77Posted 9/6/2013 9:01:52 AM
bigbug1992 posted...
@GoaFan77: It is actually implied that Charmander is supposed to be the hardest to use starter.

You notice when you cycle through the starters, Oak gives a comment about each starter, with him specifically saying it would be harder to raise Charmander.

He essentially says:

Bulbasaur: Easy Mode
Squirtle: Normal Mode
Charmander: Hard Mode

Yes, but just the type distribution of the gym leaders kind of forces that. I don't see why they should do anything else to make it that way. Heck, they should have made a grass type catchable in Viridian Forest, but I guess metal claw was a reasonable alternative.
---
"How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything which happens in life!"
#9Mariofan15Posted 9/6/2013 9:17:07 PM
Wut? Giving Charmander a move that would help against brock breaks the game? This has to be a joke. Giving it a move that would help does anything but break the game. So D.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:1121-2453-7393
#10LexifoxPosted 9/7/2013 6:53:15 PM
Charmander was easy to beat Brock with anyway, since Growl nullified the meh Attack of his Pokemon, and Ember dealt with their terrible Special.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod