This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon newbie - a few questions...

#1AyumiSqueezetoyPosted 7/23/2014 4:27:39 PM
I gave my son my old DS (he can have a 3DS if he doesn't break this one for a year or two >_> ), and got us both White & Black v2. I also got Dream Radar on my 3ds.

It's pretty fun. Kind of surprised I've never played one of these before.

- It seems like lots of features like gifts and online are turned off. is that the case? I know the online battle servers are down, according to the message, but what else is missing?

- Can we do IR stuff between the DS and the 3DS?

- Can we trade Pokémon? More specifically, can I give him some of my stronger pokemon if he gets stuck somewhere?

- I thought I read something about the Dream Radar needed to have 'other games' to unlock all the pokemon. What does that mean?

Thanks for any help!
---
Spanakopita!
#2Element-17Posted 7/23/2014 4:52:02 PM
Wi-Fi for all DS games is shut down. A post from the 14th of May, 2014 tells you what is no longer functional.

http://serebii.net/archive/May-2014.shtml

Thankfully, local wireless and infrared are unaffected, so you can still trade freely.

As for Dream Radar, there are a few Pokémon that require a Generation IV cart inserted to unlock, but since this is your first game, you likely don't have any of them. It shouldn't affect your overall enjoyment, however.
---
Why bother making a signature?
#3AyumiSqueezetoy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 9:33:16 AM
Ok, thanks!

yeah, it was Gen IV I read. I don't even know what that means, but I'm guessing it's an older version of the game. yeah, it's not a problem.
---
Spanakopita!
#4BlissedIgnorancPosted 7/24/2014 9:43:28 AM
Gen IV. Also known as Generation 4. Which include the games: Pearl, Diamond, Platinum, HeartGold, and Soulsilver.

Essentially a generation of games comes from each generation within the games are released. The B/W series are Gen5 for example and the X/Y games are Gen6.
---
3DS FC: 3754 7732 9971 Fighting Safari - Meditite, Sawk, Tyrogue
#5GoaFan77Posted 7/24/2014 11:02:34 AM
AyumiSqueezetoy posted...

1. It seems like lots of features like gifts and online are turned off. is that the case? I know the online battle servers are down, according to the message, but what else is missing?

2. Can we do IR stuff between the DS and the 3DS?

3. Can we trade Pokémon? More specifically, can I give him some of my stronger pokemon if he gets stuck somewhere?

1. As mentioned yes that is true, but since I'm guessing you guys are not super into competitive battling with other people or completing the Pokedex (where online battling and trading would be a must have), I don't think its anything you need to worry about. Black/White 2 is filled with all sorts of minigames like Join Avenue and the C-Gear/Entralink games that all you really need is local friends. In this respect Black/White 2 is really one of the best games you could pick for a parent/son play through.

2. I don't have a 3DS to confirm but it appears you should be able to do local DS wireless at least. http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/997614-nintendo-3ds/answers?qid=266338 I think IR is done via the game card so I would think it would work.

3. Of course. In fact, part of the reason Nintendo releases two versions of all of their games at the same time is so you have to trade with your friends to get all the Pokemon (certain Pokemon will be in Black 2 for example but not in white 2 or vice versa, so you need to trade to get them). I think you may have to beat the first gym before they let you trade (been awhile since I've played this game from the beginning), but after that you can trade via local wireless with each other from any Pokemon Center.
---
"How ridiculous and how strange to be surprised at anything which happens in life!"
#6Akira1256Posted 7/24/2014 11:39:28 AM
AyumiSqueezetoy posted...
- Can we trade Pokémon? More specifically, can I give him some of my stronger pokemon if he gets stuck somewhere?

In addition to what the others have said, keep in mind that if you're trying to give him a higher-leveled Pokemon, he may need to have earned some gym badges before he can control those traded Pokemon. It's usually not an issue unless the Pokemon you're trying to give him are over level 20 or 30, though.
---
Currently ignoring: Real Life
#7MetastasePosted 8/6/2014 4:11:49 PM
On the above issue, the lvl of the traded pokemon scales according to how many badges (gym leaders defeated) the person receiving the pokemon has. In short: if you trade a very high leveled pokemon, the other person will become very frustrated when the monster don't obey in battle (does nothing or becomes confused) which I might add, was extremely worsened on Gen V (the game you bought).

But otherwise yes, it may help your son win any battles just in case he can't do it on his own, even with the problem above (and eventually the problem disappears as he earns more badges).

Also, after you finish the main storyline (and for some optional side content, even before the league is conquered) some battles unlocked may be very hard for a kid to win on his own depending on how young he is.

But this is optional stuff, I'm just mentioning in case you wish to prepare ahead of time in hopes of avoiding (his) possible future frustration (look up the in-game pokemon world championship, battle subway and general post-game battles/content for more info, the serebii site linked above is a good source for that).

On a side note about Gen IV, the Heartgold/SoulSilver games are known to have the Pokeáthlon park (considered the best side activity in pokemon games besides battles), where players can enter a series of competitions with their pokemons and play stylus-based mini-games that young kids will certainly appreciate a lot. However, kids are also known to break their DS with stylus-heavy games, specially if they become too excited with it...lol
#8AyumiSqueezetoy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 11:40:53 AM
heh. Thanks! good info.

I just noticed that in the dream radar, I can pay 'coins' to re-hunt the legendary trio. Does that mean I can capture an extra set for him?
---
Spanakopita!