This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Starters...

#11nvr2bseenPosted 4/18/2012 1:29:51 AM
I hope that in the next pokemon game they produce better cool starters I never wanted a firepig as a starter I never liked Oshawott in his 1st form but his 2nd form is cool then Snivy oh my why snake? LOL
#12Misdreavus573Posted 4/19/2012 3:20:31 AM
I don't know about "best" but I know about my favorites:

R/B/Y: All of them are pretty good. Charizard and Blastoise are okay, but I like Venusaur best of the three.

G/S/C/HG/SS: Typhlosion is my fav fire starter, but that's not saying much since I don't like fire starters. I don't like Feraligatr. Despite that most people don't seem to like Meganium, it's actually my favorite starter.

R/B/E: My least favorite starters by far. My "favorite" is Swampert, and I don't really like Swampert. Blaziken and Sceptile are absolutely hideous.

D/P/Pt: Infernape is also hideous, and I don't like Torterra that much, but Empoleon is cool. Probably my favorite water starter.

B/W: Don't really like Emboar, but it's definitely less bad than the other Fire/Fighting ones. Samurott is okay, but Serperior is great, probably my second favorite starter.
#13gamefreak511Posted 4/19/2012 7:55:52 PM
My honest opinion on the starters from a purely in-game perspective (I will be looking at the Kanto and Johto starters from the perspective of the remakes since its easier to make a comparision with the updated mechanics of the remakes):

1st Gen: I would say Blastoise was the most useful. Even though its offenses weren't great, it compensated with a great typing, a huge movepool, and good defenses. I would put Venusaur in the middle: decent stat spread, decent attacking movepool, and a lot of useful support moves. Charizard was the least useful since it didn't get many special moves despite having great special attack and can't hit any harder than the other 2 starters with its physical attack, and unlike the other 2, it doesn't have good defenses, a great typing, or support moves. IMO, Charizard is seriously overrated.

2nd Gen: For the original games, I'd say Typhlosion since it gets the most use of its movepool. For HGSS, Feraligatr by far was the best since it had a LOT of moves, stats that were decent all around and great attack that it could easily make use of. Meganium I'd say sucked, its essentially Venusaur with a worse typing and fewer support moves (no sleep powder). Typholosion suffers from the same problems as Charizard. (Charizard at least got some special moves in 4th gen, but stealth rock made him cry)

3rd Gen: All the 3rd gen starters were at least good. Sceptile I'd say is the worst one because its special movepool is a bit shallow and its type is worst of the 3. Buts its still pretty good overall since its fast and hell and can still do some good damage. Swampert is the best since its good an awesome typing, and a lot of good moves at its disposal. Blaziken is great since its got great offensive type and can do some serious damage, but I'd put Swampert above him for one reason: the only decent or good fighting moves Blaziken can learn in-game are quite late (Sky Uppercut at lvl 59 or Brick Break which you get in the last gym's town)

4th Gen: BEST STARTERS EVER. People can hate on Infernape all they want, but he is definitely the best starter for this gen and the best fire starter. Awesome offenses and speed, great offensive typing, and a lot of good moves. Empoleon was also great: unique typing, a pretty solid stat distribution, and a decent movepool. Torterra was good but I'd say the least useful of the 4th gen starters. He had some great moves and a decent typing, but the 4x ice weakness made him harder to use and he was slow as hell and didn't many support moves. Still a good starter though.

5th Gen: Definetly the worst and most underwhelming starters. Serperior was fast, but its offenses were lacking and its movepool was appallingly small. Emboar learns almost no fighting moves (besides hammer arm) and doesn't make very good use of its type since its slow and has not so good defenses, not ideal for a more offensive type (not to mention Fire/Fighting is so overdone at this point). Samurott was the only 5th gen starter I found decently good. Its stat spread was at least balanced and it got enough attacking and support moves to be fully usable.
#14STAYNDEBOKZRZPosted 4/22/2012 1:05:03 PM
What are you guys talking about? Venusaur had a 99% critical hit ratio of razor leaf in gen 1.
---
I believe in Jesus, the son of God, the one way to salvation.
#15Legendary_MusasPosted 4/23/2012 8:58:31 AM
Soooooo annoyed at Samurott, Dewott has got to be one of the coolest starters and then they evolve the Otter into a Sealion 0_o

Couldn't they have just made it taller, gave it a longer hair spike that runs down it's back and a moustache? Was it really that hard?
---
"You don't need a reason to help people"
Riddle me this, riddle me that
#16NowujaloPosted 4/23/2012 6:18:27 PM
AppleJeZus posted...
slyfan1300 posted...
they're never going to change the circle so unless you can come up with a new elemental circle i suggest you shut up

I don't want them to but Flying/Fighting/Ice would be one option. Dragon/Dragon/Dragon

That already happened in Gen 0

Arceus did start with Dialga, Palkia and Giratina
but it wasn't very balanced
---
Sonic:The only good Kingdom Hearts games are the ones where you play as Sora!
Tails:But Aqua has boobs!
#17AppleJeZus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2012 9:22:28 PM
Nowujalo posted...
AppleJeZus posted...
slyfan1300 posted...
they're never going to change the circle so unless you can come up with a new elemental circle i suggest you shut up

I don't want them to but Flying/Fighting/Ice would be one option. Dragon/Dragon/Dragon

That already happened in Gen 0

Arceus did start with Dialga, Palkia and Giratina
but it wasn't very balanced

lolwut?
---
White FC: 2365-8972-1141 // HG FC: 1119 9819 0997 // GT: AppleJeZus
Bark Bark! ~ Deino, Pokemon White and Black
#18GasEXPosted 4/24/2012 3:17:26 PM

I disagree. I can't stand any of the generation 5 starters. The combo of fire, water, grass has been used so profoundly that it is like beating a helpless donkey. It's time for change.

If there's a change people will complain until they change it back. FGW will stay until the series ends.
---
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/072010/1279705271_sleepy-kitten.gif http://www.animecritic.com/_temp/cute-kitten.jpg
#of people that have D'awww'd: 22
#19radred2004Posted 4/28/2012 9:39:43 AM
Not everyone will complain. I would be happy if they ditched fire/water/grass. It's time for psychic/dark/fighting.
---
Diamond: Adam 4511 1424 2091, Pearl: Sierra 0602 7856 4621, Platinum: McCain 0560 2763 0799, White: Daisy 0647 5054 8976
#20mnkysprnPosted 4/28/2012 4:29:52 PM
Misdreavus573 posted...
I
B/W: Don't really like Emboar, but it's definitely less bad than the other Fire/Fighting ones.

Crap Speed and Defense/Special Defense are considered better than Blaziken/Infernape?

Dude you need to learn what the term bad means.
---
OT: Black FC: 1721 2588 4695