From an avg Goalie to avg Skaters...

#1ArmbarftwPosted 11/26/2012 11:57:47 AM
I'm not the greatest goalie, and I'm not the worst. This is how I see it, so take it however you want.

I think everyone is pretty much under the same assumption that goalie is the position that's hardest to master, and has the highest pressure put on it. If you make a mistake, for example, as LW by being out of position on a power play and it results in the puck getting cleared, it's probably out of everyone's mind as soon as the D get back and start the next rush.

Scenario One: I can get squared up perfectly to a point shot, and let's say they shoot low far post, and I make a kick save. Guess what, it's going to rebound out. If it happens to rebound right to their C or Winger who rips it into a wide open net, it's about a 50% chance that the hate starts and I get told to leave. How about instead of 4/5 skaters chasing the puck, everyone covers their guy? A stick lift could have caused that rebound to keep on going out of danger, or at least caused him to get better possession before taking the shot, which might have stalled JUST ENOUGH to allow me to get back to that side of the crease to stand a chance.

Scenario Two: I see multiple 1-0 or worse breakaways every period because the D have decided they're going to try to get jiggy wit it at the blue line and get laid out or just poked away with no time to recover. Check the leader boards and you'll see that even the top 20 goalies are roughly 50-60% successful on stopping breakaways. D-men, quit playing with it and dish it off or shoot. The longer you hold it, the worse you look when the puck gets behind you.

Scenario Three: Any of the skaters on my team take possession near one of our face off dots, and circles around a bit to head directly in front of the net. Not a huge deal if nobody else is in the zone, but if you're being chased down by one or two, DO NOT CUT IN FRONT OF ME. Head to the boards to get it out of the zone instead of turning it over in the slot while everyone else is sprinting to the offensive zone. You wouldn't (shouldn't at least) make a pass through that area, so why try to carry it through with the same possible outcome?

Scenario Four: Their winger wraps around behind and takes a shot to the far post, which I save, but had to move to the side to get, and in doing so, kept sliding as the save animation occurred. Now there's a loose puck and I'm nowhere close to the front of the net. Easy goal if they grab it and lots of complaining because "GOALIE U SUUUUUCK, WHERE THE F WERE U? STAY IN THE NET OMG OMG END OF THE WORLD!!! GOALIE LEAVE NOW, LEAVE NOW, GOALIE...LEAVE!"

In closing, I will restate that I am only an average G, so I'll make enough mistakes on my own to let pucks by that I shouldn't, so please do your part to understand that not every goal is my fault, and leave the hate in the locker room. It's easy to call out a G who is out of position, but next time just try to think about if you were as well.

And to the skaters who play their positions well and know how to make passes and clear out loose pucks, I thank you.
#2The Amazing ViperPosted 11/27/2012 11:23:59 AM
Poor D results in goals not poor goalies. Ive won a game with the human goalie at center ice the whole game. Tis proof.
---
The Rodney Dangerfield of the POW... Formerly the GSB
The Amazing Viper is your new board savior - MantleNotMouse
#3BrightHand23Posted 11/27/2012 1:03:46 PM
this. If you're in a drop in and you wanna complain about the goalie...why didn't you play it yourself if your so good? Cause you don't want everybody B!t#hing at ya? STFU and play good defense, be part of the solution not the problem.
---
<><><><><> PSN= Tesuji23 <><><><><>
#4tripZ504Posted 12/1/2012 2:30:47 PM
That's the problem with randoms. Never gonna change. To easy to rag on us. I usually turn my mic on and mute it. Better then the jiberish some people come up with.
---
YouTube - tripz504
#5mattymo35Posted 12/14/2012 12:48:10 AM
The only time I complain at the goalie is when he's clearly not making an effort. If he stands behind the net the entire game, or at center ice, it just ruins the game for everyone. That's when I can't stand it. Most human goalies put forth a good effort. Obviously some are better than others, but it's still much more enjoyable playing 6v6 than anything else.
#6tripZ504Posted 12/14/2012 9:49:21 AM
mattymo35 posted...
The only time I complain at the goalie is when he's clearly not making an effort. If he stands behind the net the entire game, or at center ice, it just ruins the game for everyone. That's when I can't stand it. Most human goalies put forth a good effort. Obviously some are better than others, but it's still much more enjoyable playing 6v6 than anything else.

Yea that's a game breaker. Tho I am guilty of it myself BUT I only do that when I start receiving messages from those who are playing D and trying to be a winger or forwards who try to put on a one man show. One thing from my experiences the last few years is D sitting right in my line of view. Ya I can track the puck but the actual G can't. G stand a better chance with a clear shot than some massive D sitting right in my face. But things like that separate the true players from the jokers who think they know how to play.
---
YouTube - tripz504
#7MastaPiffPosted 12/14/2012 5:09:44 PM
Yesterday I gave my goalie props for trying his best, he gave up 4 & we lost but we had crappy D & no offense either. I scored an own goal against when I took a knee to block the one timer pass across the crease, not a bad move but not the right move when it's literally across the crease. Took a funky bounce off my knee & hopped the goalie's leg, f#Ękle... I give credit where it's due, but also accepted responsibility for the loss being due to my less than stellar performance, even if it is bad luck. Sometimes ppl need to be called out but it's important to encourage ppl when they improve after being called out... If you can only do one of those but not the other you're not being honest with yourself or others & you're no kind of team player IMO... Gotta GIVE & TAKE ppl...
---
"I will get my revenge!" (>_<)