I'm a happy goalie!

#1bostonfan24Posted 4/22/2013 8:06:49 PM
I just recently bought this from psn. I have owned religiously since 11 and this game is the most realistic so far. Skater is proving difficult for me but goalie is great. I am very happy with the way the game feels and how the overall feeling of Be A Pro for goalie is. The added animation add depth and watching the players make plays is actually fun now. Just wanted to share some feedback and hope that NHL 14 is even better!
---
If the police arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain silent?
#2tripZ504Posted 4/22/2013 8:12:33 PM
They really nailed it with the goalies this year. Minor problems but to be expected. Those big desperation saves don't happen as often as you level up.
---
YouTube - tripz504
#3bostonfan24(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 8:16:10 PM
I love how it feels more rewarding now. I haven't come across any blatant issues yet but I have seen some great screen goals that were my fault for moving slightly. I am about to try an OTP game as goalie. Hope it's not as laggy as I've been hearing.
---
If the police arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain silent?
#4tripZ504Posted 4/23/2013 8:14:16 AM
Only lagg I get is on hut lately. May have been the 2x pucks. OTP and EASHL been fine.

OTP can be frustrating on G. If you can find a guy that can score go for 2 vs 2 in EASHL. Been doing that last week or two and getting nothing but wins. 6 vs 6 is great but never really lasts with egos and all.
---
YouTube - tripz504
#5rowgue34Posted 5/15/2013 11:48:42 AM
There isn't a whole lot of difference between this year and last year to be honest. Cosmetically it looks a lot better since they shelved the handful of canned animations for the more organic system, but the gameplay is still the same.

You still let in way too many trash goals that go right through you despite being in perfect position, and the cpu still abuses the unstoppable situations by rushing along the boards and using the cross ice pass every time down the ice. And despite all the talk about not getting locked into a save animation and your player reacting better to deflections etc, that isn't the main problem with goalie play. The main problem is not that you get stuck in an animation, but that you literally can't move your goalies physical position once a shot is attempted. He may have a more free flow style of save attempt but he's still nailed to the ice in the spot where he was when the initial shot was attempted. That issue hasn't been fixed. And it results in way too many situations where the net is wide open and no matter what the animation looks like making a save is impossible because you're glued to the ice on the other side of the net.

It's nice that they are a little more forgiving in awarding XP in this years version. But that doesn't have a huge impact since your attributes don't seem to have much effect on the actual gameplay.
#6PsychoD_BoyPosted 5/17/2013 1:42:20 PM
I have nothing good to say about playing as a goalie. I thought it would be fun like the past games but the game scores when it wants to no matter how good you're playing. The main problem was that my defense would make short passes back and forth when the were 6 feet apart standing still. They did this a few times until a forward from the other team skated between them and grabbed the puck with zero protest. He came at me and shot under my left arm....while it was clamped down to my side. I also got a glitch in a couple games where I would hug the post and the game would make a center or cross ice pass and score because I wasn't allowed to move away from the post. I would rotate in the same crouched position but I was locked to the post.

Similar things happened 4 or 5 games in a row with my created goalie with maxed stats. (just seeing if it was even worth the time so I made a 99 player.) I have dabbled with a BaP goalie for the last few years and never had it so blatantly give itself goals.
---
DC Universe(PS3) - Pessimism Man HL DPS CR90
Leader of JusticeLeagueOfSwitzerland
#7tripZ504Posted 5/17/2013 1:58:04 PM
Hugging the post has been an issue since 10. Same thing 3 years running. But easily avoidable. Just gotta let off at the right time.

Bs goals always been there. A little more blatant this year tho.

Watch the YouTube video ea did about the goalie mechanics and player. Once you know how the goalie thinks becomes easier to prevent those " ea hates me " goals.

Will be the same till we get full controll. Not limbs but when we chose goalie don't let the CPU have the final say.
---
YouTube - tripz504
#8rowgue34Posted 5/17/2013 3:39:34 PM
tripZ504 posted...
Hugging the post has been an issue since 10. Same thing 3 years running. But easily avoidable. Just gotta let off at the right time.

Bs goals always been there. A little more blatant this year tho.

Watch the YouTube video ea did about the goalie mechanics and player. Once you know how the goalie thinks becomes easier to prevent those " ea hates me " goals.

Will be the same till we get full controll. Not limbs but when we chose goalie don't let the CPU have the final say.

The gimmick "anticipation" system they put in this year is garbage. They can do all the videos they like, but the system is crap. Essentially they've made it so that you HAVE to anticipate the shot to one side or the other. It helps cut down on the idiotic amount of bad angle shots that go in, but that's the extent of what it does well. Since about half the shots that you don't cheat to one side will go in it forces you to have to ALWAYS be cheating to one side.

Full control isn't really practical to do with a game controller, but it's not even needed. All they really have to do is make passing and shooting animations even remotely realistic. Stop all the bull**** where a guys stick doesn't even move but he fires a cross ice pass or wrist shot at 100mph. Goalies are able to react in real life because things happen at realistic speed and pucks don't magically warp across the ice or into the net.

That and they don't have some mystical energy holding them in place once a shot or even a pass that comes too close to the crease is attempted.