Disk vs Download load times and performance.

#1Jack_WraithPosted 12/7/2012 9:21:40 AM
Any insight or link to a comparison? I'm getting this today and I'm trying to decide between physical copy vs download. Performance is the deciding factor. I heard that load times are long. Does downloading the game shorten them at all?
#2ShimmywiiPosted 12/7/2012 10:45:07 AM
I downloaded it, but I wish I bought the disc. It's 16 gigs which is a lot of the hard drive. And because nintendos network seems so slow, even with a 30 Mbps downstream it took 8 hours. The game performs well but you have to sacrifice too much ds.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#3Jack_Wraith(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 10:55:25 AM
Shimmywii posted...
I downloaded it, but I wish I bought the disc. It's 16 gigs which is a lot of the hard drive. And because nintendos network seems so slow, even with a 30 Mbps downstream it took 8 hours. The game performs well but you have to sacrifice too much ds.

Right on. Thanks for the reply. I think I'll pick it up on disk because I'm planning on buying the DLC and I don't have an external hard drive for my Wii U yet. Does anyone make external solid state drives?
#4ShimmywiiPosted 12/7/2012 11:19:21 AM
I'm not familiar with the term solid state. All I know is you can purchase up to a 2 TB external hard drive. Which I will be doing in the near future.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#5PizzusPosted 12/9/2012 6:46:55 AM
Jack_Wraith posted...
Right on. Thanks for the reply. I think I'll pick it up on disk because I'm planning on buying the DLC and I don't have an external hard drive for my Wii U yet. Does anyone make external solid state drives?

Nintendo has recommended HDDs, just saying.
---
Consider this signature an outdated and groan-inducing meme.
#6DBPanterAPosted 12/9/2012 2:00:03 PM
Pizzus posted...
Jack_Wraith posted...

Nintendo has recommended HDDs, just saying.

I contacted Nintendo last week about the issue of External Hard-Drives (tech support). I was told there are currently 4 models that Nintendo will say work without problem. I bought this one below, as tech support listed it as one of the 4.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149387

The issue that tech support said is that pretty much ANY hard drive with its own dedicated power source will work (search desk-top hard drive). The issue with a hard drive that draws its power from the source (the Wii U) is that in the case with the U, its performances drops significantly, becomes sluggish, and freezes happen frequently.

Lastly, don't think people realize how big current gen console games are in regards to size. AC:3 clocked in at 16 GB, Mario and NintendoLand were 2-3.5 GB. While the digital promotion is great, its gonna take a long time to get games. I will use it for eShop games, but most retail games it is quicker to drive to the store and back. The only true benefit is downloading a game is at Mid-night the night of release to have it in the morning when you wake up.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#7ShimmywiiPosted 12/10/2012 10:32:43 AM
I definitely need a hard drive, I've yet to pick one up. I asked my wife to get me one for christmas.
---
Wii U: shimmy83
XBOXLive:shimmy83 PSN:shimmy83 IPhone: shimmyboy