"Lawl, u mad bro? Getting mad about an always-online game on your PC?"

#1Swan3624Posted 3/5/2013 12:07:39 PM
I have seen this argument in almost all the threads related to the DRM thing. People come in and say something along the lines of, "Yeah, keep complaining about an always-online game for your always-online computer."

This isn't the case for everyone, though. You know who sees a problem with always-online DRM? People like me, actually. I own a laptop with very finnicky internet. It's not my router or computer, though. It's my network... and unfortunately my network is the only one available in my area and I have no choice but to use its spotty service.

For people with laptops, such as myself, we enjoy playing games on the go. Games that require online like World of Warcraft, of course it makes sense that those are online-only. But for single-player experiences? No... it's a terrible idea, and there is no reason for its existence.

Gaming on the go usually means going without an internet connection for a while. I would love to play Diablo III (the only Diablo game I own) on the go, but guess what? Blizzard is a douche and doesn't let me.

And back to the spotty connection: I can't tell you how many times I was kicked from Diablo III on the grounds that my connection was lost.

So before you bring up this argument that your PC is always online so the always-online DRM shouldn't be an issue, you should think about the other people out there that play games on their laptops, and even more numerous, the people who have spotty internet connections all the time.
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#2I Like ToastPosted 3/5/2013 12:09:05 PM
new and exciting topic, i'm glad we have yet another topic about the always online drm.

Can you say something about the smaller city sizes(while ignoring regions) and how there is no terroforming too? you wouldn't want to miss out would you.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
PlayStation 4 Officialy Announced
#3Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 12:10:18 PM
I Like Toast posted...
new and exciting topic, i'm glad we have yet another topic about the always online drm.

Can you say something about the smaller city sizes(while ignoring regions) and how there is no terroforming too? you wouldn't want to miss out would you.

My apologies. I was making a topic about the misconception it seems most people have about always-online PCs. It's not necessarily strictly about the always-online DRM, but moreso the people claiming that it should be a non-issue.
---
Currently playing: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure - Let's Play on my YouTube! :D
My Gaming YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterChief3624
#4captainsquallyPosted 3/5/2013 1:02:11 PM
Swan3624 posted...
I Like Toast posted...

My apologies. I was making a topic about the misconception it seems most people have about always-online PCs. It's not necessarily strictly about the always-online DRM, but moreso the people claiming that it should be a non-issue.

It's a non-issue to some. If it is an issue to you, don't buy it. Don't know what else to say, this shouldn't even be an argument. You have the choice to buy it or not. You're complaining like you are being forced to buy it and put up with the always online component.

Personally, always having to be connected to their servers can sometimes cause problems, but my PC is always online, so beyond some server issues here and there, I am looking forward to the BENEFITS of always online play, like participating in regions that develop in real time.

For me, the pros outweigh the almost nonexistent cons, so I have no problem with buying this. Your situation may be different, go figure.
---
http://flashyreview.com
Unbiased, Gaming news and views
#5BardockpwnsjooPosted 3/5/2013 1:08:39 PM
Swan3624 posted...
I have seen this argument in almost all the threads related to the DRM thing. People come in and say something along the lines of, "Yeah, keep complaining about an always-online game for your always-online computer."

This isn't the case for everyone, though. You know who sees a problem with always-online DRM? People like me, actually. I own a laptop with very finnicky internet. It's not my router or computer, though. It's my network... and unfortunately my network is the only one available in my area and I have no choice but to use its spotty service.

For people with laptops, such as myself, we enjoy playing games on the go. Games that require online like World of Warcraft, of course it makes sense that those are online-only. But for single-player experiences? No... it's a terrible idea, and there is no reason for its existence.

Gaming on the go usually means going without an internet connection for a while. I would love to play Diablo III (the only Diablo game I own) on the go, but guess what? Blizzard is a douche and doesn't let me.

And back to the spotty connection: I can't tell you how many times I was kicked from Diablo III on the grounds that my connection was lost.

So before you bring up this argument that your PC is always online so the always-online DRM shouldn't be an issue, you should think about the other people out there that play games on their laptops, and even more numerous, the people who have spotty internet connections all the time.

I agree to an extent. However, Diablo 3 sucks HARD anyway, so you're not missing much.
---
So, if you put an Oriental guy in a bowl, and spin it around, does he become disOriented?
#6I Like ToastPosted 3/5/2013 1:09:34 PM
From: Bardockpwnsjoo | Posted: 3/5/2013 3:08:39 PM | #005
Diablo 3 sucks HARD anyway

been a good game since the paragon update
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
PlayStation 4 Officialy Announced
#7IdonahariPosted 3/5/2013 1:14:44 PM
Don't bother Swan, EA Defence Force rules this board with an iron fist.
#8MugaazPosted 3/5/2013 1:28:00 PM
Swan3624 posted...

I don't think the fact that some people have crappy internet is any reason against always online games. Not anymore than the fact that some people cant afford a computer doesnt mean PC games shouldnt exist. There is no correlation here, the people making the game are more than free to decide which market theyre making it for.

The argument that there is no reason for a single player game to be online is sound though, and I have no disagreement with that. However, the issue is philosophical to me and I honestly just dont really care since it doesnt affect me in any meaningful way.

The only thing that actually makes me angry is the incompetence. How do you design a network required game when your network is complete garbage and you don't have the resources or skills to support it properly? When other people's incompetence costs me my time and money I DO get angry.