Is this game worth it?

#1Private_NoobPosted 3/5/2013 6:39:48 PM
I had Sim City 4 and enjoyed it. Will I enjoy this game, too?
---
Arceus: "It's time to bring Humanity to JUSTICE!"
Haggard: "Oh yeah? Says YOU and what army?"
#2Bigdaddy422Posted 3/5/2013 7:05:41 PM
Of course it it worth it. It truly is a huge step forward. I loved all of the simcities since a kid, now im 23 and this game is just as fun
#3araxenPosted 3/5/2013 10:19:02 PM
Truthfully, the game is worth $30 no more.

After playing this about 8 hours I'll say it's a good game but it isn't the best in the series by far. I think 2000, 3000, and 4 are better games.

What I like:

1. Modular Buildings - Really great addition to the series and adds a lot of options
2. Water/Electricity going through the streets. - Another great addition
3. Region play is pretty fun though dislike it's required basically.
4. City Specializations - I like this though I wish there were more specializations I expect more to come in an expansion pack.
5. Density based off streets instead of zoning. I didn't think I would like this at first but I like it. You really have to plan ahead though especially if you want to put down avenues. I could easily see some disliking this as it is harder to improve your city because you'll need demolish and revamp area's of your city which I have never found fun.

Things I dislike:
1. Cities are too small(obviously) - I'll be a couple hours in to a new City and my City's land will be full already. Very aggravating because that's about the point where everything starts to come together. You have to try and fit in all the cooler buildings somewhere somehow.
2. No Offline mode
3. Water being a finite resource that doesn't seem replenish. It never rains in SimCity? You can't use the river for water? Ughh...
4. Fires...way too many fires. A normal city doesn't have a ton of fires usually. In SimCity there are tons.

Hopefully the city expansion upgrade is sooner rather than later because I feel it really bring this game down a couple pegs when compared to the earlier games. It is really close to being best in the series but they need to address these things. A ton of fires I can live with but the water problem needs to be looked at.
#4Lord_VaderPosted 3/5/2013 10:33:19 PM(edited)
Private_Noob posted...
I had Sim City 4 and enjoyed it. Will I enjoy this game, too?

If you were a hardcore SimCity 4 fan then there is a great chance you won't like the game. They have taken out many of the things from SimCity 4 in order to make it a more casual and social game. No terraforming, no modding, small cities, cities aren't next to eachother anymore, no subways, and no farms are just the icing on the cake in regards to the problems with this game. If you were thinking about recreating New York or making a metropolis surrounded by farms/suburbs in this game then forget about it. It is a bare bones version of SimCity 4. I played the beta and my decision to not purchase the game was set in stone. Plus because of the always online DRM people are having server issues such as not being able to connect to servers, getting disconnected from servers and losing their cities, and not even being able to download the game. The glassbox engine is okay but the limitations they imposed on the game doesn't make it worthwhile. Plus they removed features like ordinances and simplified taxes. So yeah if you spent hours playing SimCity 4 and enjoyed its sandbox and creative aspect, you probably won't like this game. If you are set on purchasing this game I wouldn't get it until/if they fix the server issues and the price gets down to $25.
---
Live long and prosper.
#5Freelance_WolfPosted 3/6/2013 1:21:50 AM
It's all opinion anyway. I love SC4 and I also love this game. See how that works?
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#6ShaidonPosted 3/6/2013 1:27:45 AM
From what I saw in the videos, you will like it. Is new, new graphics, some interesting innovations.

But I can't be an optimist and support it only because of the good stuff, if will indirectly support the bad about it, that are the always on DRM, pointless multiplay and limitations.
---
50% of the challenge is made by the game. The other fifty, by the player.
#7Private_Noob(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 4:39:42 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! :)
---
Arceus: "It's time to bring Humanity to JUSTICE!"
Haggard: "Oh yeah? Says YOU and what army?"