I have a strange pull to get this game...

#1Edge4o7_Posted 3/5/2013 6:11:40 PM
For some reason, I really want to get this game. I don't know why. I don't think I'll like it. If I do like it, it seems like something I'd be done with in a few days, maybe a week.

Am I really going to drop the big 6-0 on this game? Help me.
---
XBL: Edge4o7
P4A: Yu UMvC3 Zero/Dante/Sent
#2AlbinoAnacondaPosted 3/5/2013 6:16:59 PM
I find watching lets plays of others can help in making a decision on whether to get a game or not. Just poke around YouTube for a bit though at the moment it's mostly beta game plays on there.
#3Edge4o7_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 6:19:12 PM
I've watched like two individual videos both about an hour long each.
---
#4Lord_VaderPosted 3/5/2013 6:42:21 PM(edited)
Edge4o7_ posted...
For some reason, I really want to get this game. I don't know why. I don't think I'll like it. If I do like it, it seems like something I'd be done with in a few days, maybe a week.

Am I really going to drop the big 6-0 on this game? Help me.

Have you played SimCity 4 and liked it? Or are you completely new to the series?

If you enjoyed playing SimCity 4 then you probably won't like this game. They took out a lot of the stuff from the previous games such as big cities, cities that are next to eachother, terraforming, modding, subways, pipes, power lines, farms, and other things. So you can't recreate your favorite real-life city or make a metropolis surrounded by suburbs/farms. Oh and the always online crap means that sometime down the road they will eventually shut the servers down and you're precious cities will be gone. Not to mention the various crashing/disconnection issues people are having with the game right now.

If you're completely new to the series you might enjoy it. If you like social, casual and interactive games that you play with other people the game is for you. I would advise against getting it now though because of the launch/server issues. Just look at this forum.
---
Live long and prosper.
#5Edge4o7_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 6:49:34 PM
I've never played a SimCity game. I've heard a lot about the city size and I've seen the size and tbh it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I'm not a very creative person so I wouldn't design huge cities on my own anyways. I kind of like (or at least, am intrigued by) the region style they have going on. I don't have any friends that play this so it would probably be mostly solo play. I'd be down for some multiplayer but it seems like if other people stop playing you get screwed so just joining a public game seems like a waste of time tbh.

Are the servers still having log in queues? I kind of expected it at launch but didn't think it'd still be going on. I mean, it's still launch day, but still. Not the midnight rush lol.
---
#6Edge4o7_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 7:10:49 PM
bump
---
#7McJephPosted 3/5/2013 7:12:29 PM
Even if you like SimCity (I'm never buying this - especially after the DRM issues)..

And you REALLY want to buy this...

Don't buy it now. Wait a while and see if they fix the server issues.
#8Lord_VaderPosted 3/5/2013 7:20:52 PM
Edge4o7_ posted...
I've never played a SimCity game. I've heard a lot about the city size and I've seen the size and tbh it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I'm not a very creative person so I wouldn't design huge cities on my own anyways. I kind of like (or at least, am intrigued by) the region style they have going on. I don't have any friends that play this so it would probably be mostly solo play. I'd be down for some multiplayer but it seems like if other people stop playing you get screwed so just joining a public game seems like a waste of time tbh.

Are the servers still having log in queues? I kind of expected it at launch but didn't think it'd still be going on. I mean, it's still launch day, but still. Not the midnight rush lol.

Yeah if you look on this forum and others people are still having problems with the launch. Some people can't download the game, some can't even join a server, and some are able to join a server and then have the game crash or be disconnected only to lose progress on their city. I played the beta and the simulation was nice. But it felt like a downgrade from SimCity 4. But since you've never played a SimCity game before then you might like it. It's really meant to be a multiplayer and social game though so I don't know if you'd like solo play (which also requires a constant online connection). But yeah I wouldn't get this game until/if they resolve all these server-side issues. I mean it was kinda expected because it's an online-only game and this has happened to games like Diablo 3. Just look at the reviews on Amazon.com which are mostly 1 star.
---
Live long and prosper.
#9Edge4o7_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 7:30:06 PM
Edge4o7_ posted...

Yeah if you look on this forum and others people are still having problems with the launch. Some people can't download the game, some can't even join a server, and some are able to join a server and then have the game crash or be disconnected only to lose progress on their city. I played the beta and the simulation was nice. But it felt like a downgrade from SimCity 4. But since you've never played a SimCity game before then you might like it. It's really meant to be a multiplayer and social game though so I don't know if you'd like solo play (which also requires a constant online connection). But yeah I wouldn't get this game until/if they resolve all these server-side issues. I mean it was kinda expected because it's an online-only game and this has happened to games like Diablo 3. Just look at the reviews on Amazon.com which are mostly 1 star.

Is there a different game you'd recommend? I like the idea of build your city with limited funds, work your way up, and needing to build power plants, hospitals, mining facilities, etc to progress. I've heard people talk about Tropico 4, is that any good? SimCity 4 gets a lot of praise as well, but it sounds like a lot of stuff in that game is really tedious (water pipes?).
---
#10chrono7777777Posted 3/5/2013 7:31:45 PM(edited)
I really didn't like SC4. As a kid I *loved* SC2K, and then later I played and enjoyed a lot of SC3000 (it's hard for me to rate the difference since I was only 10 when SC2K came out, I wasn't especially objective at the time).

SimCity 4 I only tried this year (got it for like $5) and I just couldn't get into it. What I loved about the SC games was the artistic / creative side, as well as the aesthetic / humor / music; designing cool cities and watching them grow. SC4 was much more of a hardcore city planning simulation, with tons of micromanagement and a harsh budget curve / population barriers. Simultaneously, I found it very hard to actually see the individual buildings and utilities and roads that made up cities in SC4; the graphics got too greebly and cramped. It all looked like an urban mass more realistic, but more inscrutable.

I can appreciate that people really into the mastery of SC's details and the realistic simulation aspect might view SC4 as the pinnacle of the series. I do respect it for what it is. Unfortunately for me, that simply isn't something I wanted or enjoyed. It was a move away from the "SC as entertainment and design outlet" that I preferred.

To that end, the new SimCity looks very, very tempting (oh god the roads are WONDERFUL), albeit with a couple very worrying aspects:

1) City size looks sooooooooo limited!
2) No subways? Probably missing some other elements too if I look hard enough

I'm not sure how I feel about the multi-city, regional aspect. I'm reserving judgment on it for the moment. I could see how it could be fun, and why in that context the small-ish plots make a kind of sense.

Personally, I'm waiting for reviews and community opinion to settle out, and hoping for a demo to drop. I don't know, this could be just the kind of time-waster I've been waiting years for.