I have a strange pull to get this game...

#11Dave_is_my_namePosted 3/5/2013 8:47:33 PM
McJeph posted...
Even if you like SimCity (I'm never buying this - especially after the DRM issues)..

And you REALLY want to buy this...

Don't buy it now. Wait a while and see if they fix the server issues.

Um. I've been playing last night and today, 0 sever issues.

Don't give advice on a game you've never played.
#12UtterMoonPosted 3/5/2013 8:50:18 PM
Personally..I would wait until it goes on sale or something..or perhaps until we can get an idea of the greedy EA DLC plan. The game is having some serious connectivity problems.
#13UtterMoonPosted 3/5/2013 8:53:33 PM
Dave_is_my_name posted...
McJeph posted...
Even if you like SimCity (I'm never buying this - especially after the DRM issues)..

Really..so I guess the large amount of people having problems with the game..are just lying..hell and TotalBiscuit put out a completely fake video today about this same issue..there have been server problems, people have been waiting in queues just to play a predominately single player game on some crappy EA servers, I guess ignorance really is bliss.
#14Lord_VaderPosted 3/5/2013 8:55:32 PM
Edge4o7_ posted...
Edge4o7_ posted...
I've never played a SimCity game. I've heard a lot about the city size and I've seen the size and tbh it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I'm not a very creative person so I wouldn't design huge cities on my own anyways. I kind of like (or at least, am intrigued by) the region style they have going on. I don't have any friends that play this so it would probably be mostly solo play. I'd be down for some multiplayer but it seems like if other people stop playing you get screwed so just joining a public game seems like a waste of time tbh.

Are the servers still having log in queues? I kind of expected it at launch but didn't think it'd still be going on. I mean, it's still launch day, but still. Not the midnight rush lol.

Yeah if you look on this forum and others people are still having problems with the launch. Some people can't download the game, some can't even join a server, and some are able to join a server and then have the game crash or be disconnected only to lose progress on their city. I played the beta and the simulation was nice. But it felt like a downgrade from SimCity 4. But since you've never played a SimCity game before then you might like it. It's really meant to be a multiplayer and social game though so I don't know if you'd like solo play (which also requires a constant online connection). But yeah I wouldn't get this game until/if they resolve all these server-side issues. I mean it was kinda expected because it's an online-only game and this has happened to games like Diablo 3. Just look at the reviews on Amazon.com which are mostly 1 star.

Is there a different game you'd recommend? I like the idea of build your city with limited funds, work your way up, and needing to build power plants, hospitals, mining facilities, etc to progress. I've heard people talk about Tropico 4, is that any good? SimCity 4 gets a lot of praise as well, but it sounds like a lot of stuff in that game is really tedious (water pipes?).

I've never played Tropico so I can't help you with that. Don't try Cities in Motion or Cities XL since those games have their own problems. If I were you I would play one of the previous games in the series or even two of them (SimCity 3000 and SImCity 4 Deluxe) and I'll guarantee you that you'll enjoy them.
---
Live long and prosper.
#15Dave_is_my_namePosted 3/5/2013 9:02:27 PM(edited)
UtterMoon posted...
McJeph posted...

Really..so I guess the large amount of people having problems with the game..are just lying..hell and TotalBiscuit put out a completely fake video today about this same issue..there have been server problems, people have been waiting in queues just to play a predominately single player game on some crappy EA servers, I guess ignorance really is bliss.

Yes I honestly believe that 95% of these topics are created by people who do not own the game. Salty, with an axe to grind.

I also believe that there were likely problems last night, as any online game has on launch day, but these were ironed out overnight. (I watched the TB video)

I also know that the several people I know who have this game across the county have never had a problem logging in today when we got together to play.
#16ZeusthagodPosted 3/5/2013 9:00:13 PM
I love SC4. Been playing it off and on since 2005 and now I have a few extensive regions and some very impressive and realistic looking cities. Been wondering about getting this game but not sure based on what I'm reading here. I like making my cities and regions realistic and it seems this game doesn't really allow that. Hmm. I still have an urge to try it though.
---
A wise man told me "don't argue with fools"
#17Lord_VaderPosted 3/5/2013 9:16:49 PM(edited)
Zeusthagod posted...
I love SC4. Been playing it off and on since 2005 and now I have a few extensive regions and some very impressive and realistic looking cities. Been wondering about getting this game but not sure based on what I'm reading here. I like making my cities and regions realistic and it seems this game doesn't really allow that. Hmm. I still have an urge to try it though.

Don't get it until the price is $10 or below. You can't recreate New York or any metropolis for that matter. If you loved SimCity 4 you'll hate this game. Trust me and don't purchase the game. You'll thank me later.

And Dave, either you must be an egotistical fool or a complete moron if you think that most if not all of the people on this forum and others are making their launch issues up and don't even own the game. Seriously, what is wrong with you? Did you get dropped as a child? These problems occurred when Diablo 3 (another online only game) launched too so it's not completely unheard of.
---
Live long and prosper.
#18McJephPosted 3/5/2013 9:41:22 PM
McJeph posted...

I don't need to have played it to know what is going on.

Besides - even if I wanted to play it, I probably wouldn't be able to.

I'm entitled to give friendly advice.

Are you an EA spokesperson or something?
#19Lord_VaderPosted 3/5/2013 9:45:58 PM
Even gaming sites are lowering their reviews for the game because of serious launch issues: http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630

Guess they must've never played the game either, huh.
---
Live long and prosper.