Planning for road expansion

#1Lord ZopharPosted 3/6/2013 9:09:27 AM
So, putting the best roads possible is obviously not viable in the beginning due to money issues. As an additional problem, the lesser roads are of course not as wide as the bigger ones, so planning your city with the thought of larger roads in the future presents a challenge.

I was wondering if anyone had any cool road upgrade strategies yet. Right now, it seems really annoying because you have to destroy your road to upgrade it so the buildings get destroyed til people move in again. However, it is even worse if you don't have room to put the bigger size road because you have to rezone.

I had an idea of starting off with maybe 2 dirt roads next to each other that you can later replace with one big road, but that would still suffer from the destroying and rebuilding. Anyone have any cool strategies they have--I have yet to try the two dirt road thing, just thought of it in the shower this morning.
---
faithful gamefaqs.com ghost
#2Gibbs0o0Posted 3/6/2013 9:20:50 AM
I always start with low density avenues, i never touch the smaller road since its a pain to remove.
---
XBL: G1bb0s
#3lookaseagulPosted 3/6/2013 9:43:39 AM
I started with all medium roads with the exception of the lowest grade avenue (medium) which I used straight up the city center. Medium streets offshoot from that center Avenue. As demand changed, I upgraded the streets and Avenue directly (no need to bulldoze them) to higher density roads in the areas that were most likely to develop while I continued to plop down more medium streets and continued the avenue.
---
"Prepare yourself for a pride obliterating *****slap."-Inignot
#4RepublicanThugPosted 3/6/2013 9:50:12 AM
Lord Zophar posted...
So, putting the best roads possible is obviously not viable in the beginning due to money issues. As an additional problem, the lesser roads are of course not as wide as the bigger ones, so planning your city with the thought of larger roads in the future presents a challenge.

I was wondering if anyone had any cool road upgrade strategies yet. Right now, it seems really annoying because you have to destroy your road to upgrade it so the buildings get destroyed til people move in again. However, it is even worse if you don't have room to put the bigger size road because you have to rezone.

I had an idea of starting off with maybe 2 dirt roads next to each other that you can later replace with one big road, but that would still suffer from the destroying and rebuilding. Anyone have any cool strategies they have--I have yet to try the two dirt road thing, just thought of it in the shower this morning.

I've used the biggest city street right away. If you don't try to build too much too fast 50k is plenty. Every street on my entire map is the largest. And my map is now full lol. 30 story buildings galore. Sadly im now out of water and no sister cities to import from.
---
4 more years? Sigh.....
#5Eclypse9810Posted 3/6/2013 10:03:12 AM
All roads of the same class share the same size, so you can just place low density roads and medium density avenues to plan ahead.

The annoying part is that the road guides are based on current road density, instead oft he inevitable high density. This means it'll set itself up so that the low density housing and shops fill up the entire area, instead of accounting for and saving room for the fat high density high rises. This leads to more roads,meaning more intersections,meaning more traffic and less zoning room.

What I had to do is do a short high density "test road" to set up my roads. Make a short initial high density road or avenue,then try to place a zone on it to see how far back the maximum size required for high rises reaches, then use some sort of bookmark such as a tree to remember how far back it went. Then, I can plot another high density road double the distance away so that i can have the high rises back to back, instead of wasting room on another road in between. I can just continue the road as a lower density after so that the road doesn't break my bank.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#6RepublicanThugPosted 3/6/2013 10:24:56 AM
You guys are making this MUCH more difficult than it needs to be.

Just use the biggest street from the start. I've done it every time now without a problem.

But I don't try to pave an entire city in the first 10 minutes either.

1 long main ave and a couple short side streets is all you need to start.
---
4 more years? Sigh.....
#7RepublicanThugPosted 3/6/2013 10:27:08 AM
Also don't be afraid to buldoze buildings to make future modifications. The will build them right back and usually bigger.
---
4 more years? Sigh.....
#8AladrinPosted 3/6/2013 11:05:46 AM
Also, you don't need to bulldoze a road to upgrade it to a similar road. Click on the roads icon and then there's an icon in the lower left that says 'upgrade road' when you hover over it. Then you can upgrade (or downgrade) roads to anything the same size.

Roads can't become avenues that way, or vice versa, but you can at least avoid bulldozing in most cases.