Origin forced if I want to play?

#1xJehodxPosted 3/6/2013 2:47:48 PM
Am I forced to download and use origin if I want to play this? Or can I just install with a disk and play it off of that?
---
"Sa souvraya niende misain ye."
PSN - Habbalah
#2Freelance_WolfPosted 3/6/2013 2:48:20 PM
It's online only so you must be logged into Origin to play.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#3Lord_VaderPosted 3/6/2013 2:49:46 PM
xJehodx posted...
Am I forced to download and use origin if I want to play this? Or can I just install with a disk and play it off of that?

Yes you must use Origin in order to play this game. No way to get around it. The game also requires a constant Internet connection for both multiplayer and singleplayer modes.
---
Live long and prosper.
#4darkace77450Posted 3/6/2013 2:50:59 PM
Lord_Vader posted...
xJehodx posted...

Yes you must use Origin in order to play this game. No way to get around it. The game also requires a constant Internet connection for both multiplayer and singleplayer modes.

And to top it all off, the servers are owned and operated by EA. That's code for they "can and will fail often, leaving you unable to play."
#5Freelance_WolfPosted 3/6/2013 2:51:53 PM
darkace77450 posted...
Lord_Vader posted...
xJehodx posted...

And to top it all off, the servers are owned and operated by EA. That's code for they "can and will fail often, leaving you unable to play."

You can say that about any other online-only game. Don't see how that's relevant.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#6pokefan35Posted 3/6/2013 2:53:41 PM
xJehodx posted...

Yeah, sadly. Origin is a steaming pile too. Super invasive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Origin-EULA-PC-Gaming-Glorified-Spyware-DRM,13285.html
#7I Like ToastPosted 3/6/2013 2:53:54 PM
From: Freelance_Wolf | Posted: 3/6/2013 4:51:53 PM | #005
You can say that about any other online-only game. Don't see how that's relevant.

EA stole his lunch money and he's really upset about it. It was nacho day man, NACHO DAY.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
PlayStation 4 Officialy Announced
#8I Like ToastPosted 3/6/2013 2:54:12 PM
Super invasive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Origin-EULA-PC-Gaming-Glorified-Spyware-DRM,13285.html

literally the same thing steam does.
---
http://mikelikesthis.net/
PlayStation 4 Officialy Announced
#9Lord_VaderPosted 3/6/2013 2:55:36 PM(edited)
Freelance_Wolf posted...
darkace77450 posted...
Lord_Vader posted...
xJehodx posted...

Except online only DRM has proven to be a disaster and doesn't prevent piracy which is why Ubisoft and other publishers have committed themselves never to employ it again.

Oh and OP just be aware that since the game is online-only your saves are not stored on your own computer. Which means that someday down the road when they pull the plugs on the servers you will lose your cities forever.
---
Live long and prosper.
#10darkace77450Posted 3/6/2013 2:56:38 PM
Freelance_Wolf posted...

No, you can't. EA is infamous for unreliable server connections. Other companies can and do have a much better track record regarding this sorts of things. Just because EA's servers are so ****ty their games are virtually unplayable the first week of release doesn't mean that's the standard maintained by the rest of the industry. That's how it's relevant.