One of the worst launches in gaming history?

#1uzimaki557Posted 3/7/2013 4:48:20 PM
I would say this launch is now up there with the Daiblo 3 launch.

Both games that DID NOT HAVE TO BE ONLINE ONLY, as they have a very strong single player component.

It's clear the only reason this game was setup the way it was is to prevent piracy of the game.

Now I have been involved in the launches of many MMO's, many of which experience significant down time. there still was at least some up time.

But when I recall the worst game launches as of late two game now stand out in my mind Diablo 3, which was unplayable for nearly a week, and then had huge amounts of players account stolen and passwords compromised one it was brought back online.

And now in second place is SimCity.

As I stated above many mmos with a large persistent online world that necessitates an always online component often times have rough launches.

But two of the only launches that come to mind as of late with which are sequels to games that were easily playable without a persistent internet connection (Diablo 1-2, SimCity 1-4), the diablo seriers, and the simcity series. Have had not just some outages, but were out right unplayable at launch.

Clearly something is wrong with this. As consumers the strongest message we can send isn't just not buying the games, which is now obviously an unavoidable mistake made by anyone who pre-ordered. Instead if you did get the short end of the DRM stick, make sure you tell your friends and make others aware.

And in the future do not buy into any online only game that should have a single player component. I still plan to play MMOs and expect those to have rough launches, but those games are actually online only games. Not offline games with a forced internet connection to prevent piracy.
#2RavenoussdPosted 3/7/2013 4:50:35 PM
funny thing is.....simcity was NEVER an online game

yet they forced it upon us
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult
#3papercupPosted 3/7/2013 4:52:15 PM
With Diablo after a few hours it was actually playable. I only ever got error 37 once. This, however, I have only been able to connect twice, and that connection was really shaky. Pairing that with all the crap I keep reading, this is a far far worse launch than Diablo 3.
---
PS3. It Only Does Family Games.
3DS FC: 4124 5916 9925
#4darkace77450Posted 3/7/2013 4:52:35 PM
Judging by the sales figures of both Diablo 3 and SimCity, you'd better get used to it. Because the "always online single player" didn't hurt their sales figures, publishers are going to make this the norm going forward.
#5uzimaki557(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 4:52:44 PM
Ravenoussd posted...
funny thing is.....simcity was NEVER an online game

yet they forced it upon us

One of my points exactly. The online is a nice inclusion but this game should clearly be playable offline.
#6anonymous46773Posted 3/7/2013 4:53:17 PM
This is probably the worst launch in gaming history.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#7papercupPosted 3/7/2013 4:53:17 PM
Oh, and peoples accounts being stolen in Diablo 3 has to do with players not properly protecting their accounts.
---
PS3. It Only Does Family Games.
3DS FC: 4124 5916 9925
#8ReezyKunPosted 3/7/2013 4:53:29 PM
i can download this game in a couple mins, lol I know the servers not gonna work.
---
GT- Nerdy Ryuu /PSN - Darkninjabozz
3DS-3067-4746-6568 / Twitter@Sirryuu
#9Lord_VaderPosted 3/7/2013 4:54:51 PM
And funny thing is always online doesn't prevent piracy: http://news.softpedia.com/news/DRM-Doesn-t-Stop-Piracy-Game-Content-Does-Good-Old-Games-Believes-237641.shtml

“DRM doesn't stop theft of games, let's make that clear,” Longino told Destructoid. “It's a false argument to say it does. Every game that came out this year -- every single one regardless of the kind of DRM on it -- was pirated. Frequently before the game was even for sale on retail shelves but within 48 hours after launch, either way. There's a whole industry devoted to selling DRM solutions to publishers and developers, and no one seems to be clued into the fact that it doesn't stop piracy.”

The GOG executive believes, and backs up his thoughts with several surveys, that gamers just want easy and quick access to a complete game, and are more than willing to pay for such a feature if it’s available to them.

“If DRM doesn't stop theft, what does? Well, according to surveys, the value of the game offer. Almost 50% of the users surveyed stated that one of the main reasons why they pirated games was the lack of perceived value of the package. Either they wanted the game for less money or they wanted more bonus content in the package. That should sound familiar, given that it's GOG.com's business model.”

Only a good and polished game as well as a supportive user interface like Steam will stop piracy. You can't stop all piracy and most people who pirate games would've never bought the retail version anyway. EA could have easily solved this by giving us an offline singleplayer mode but they have severely screwed themselves over with this one.
---
Live long and prosper.
#10uzimaki557(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 4:58:55 PM
papercup posted...
Oh, and peoples accounts being stolen in Diablo 3 has to do with players not properly protecting their accounts.

Maybe paper....
My account was stolen there after the servers finally came up.
That was the only time one of my accounts was ever stolen. Maybe just a a coincidence...

But do you know what Blizz to help me get my account back after repeated emails, support tickets, and a call to support? Nothing, cause they had money in the bank.

From what I have read EA is doing much of same, as players asking for a refund are reporting that they are being told it's not going to happen and they are being threatened with a perma-ban.